Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Interface RME Babyface Pro vs USB Pre2

(1/2) > >>

Nathan Riddle:
I'm somewhat in the market for a nice pro interface.

I've been using the UMC404HD that Ivan recommends for sub-top alignment and general tuning work. It works great, 5v phantom power, plenty of IO, robust, cheap, etc.

But I'd like to be able to do distortion measurements or more thorough measurements without getting into Langston's audio precision territory.

I think I have it narrowed to two, but am open to other options. I'm leaning towards the RME because of Langston's review & that it is used-mint on ebay for $550.

$750new RME Babyface Pro:
Pros:
Reviewed by Langston
"world class" everything
+19dBu output
Internal mixer

Cons:
Not exactly a 'road worthy interface'
Stupid name
Internal mixer

$895new Sound Devices USB Pre2:
Pros:
Internal loopback
Rugged
Simple to use

Cons:
+18dBu output

Sam Feine:
I own a USB Pre 2 which I use frequently for measurement and alignment work.
Sound quality wise it is great, it is also built very well and has some of the best metering I have found in an interface.
It also has a built in loop back feature which is rather handy and I have found that with a usb power bank I can run it as a stand alone "DI" box for connecting a phone or other consumer line level source.

That said I plan to replace it with a Babyface Pro.

I have found that even when using the USB Pre 2 with Sound Device's ASIO driver I often end up with dropouts and general instability issues (with windows machines, the mac usb class complaint drivers work great with it).
This alone is the largest reason I plan to change over to an RME which historically have had rock solid drivers whenever I have used them.

The RME also has recallable head amps on the mic inputs which is a big plus for when repeatability is desired for measurement work.

Plus the RME still has full size XLR inputs and outputs which is nice.

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Sam Feine on August 01, 2019, 04:14:40 PM ---I own a USB Pre 2 which I use frequently for measurement and alignment work.
Sound quality wise it is great, it is also built very well and has some of the best metering I have found in an interface.
It also has a built in loop back feature which is rather handy and I have found that with a usb power bank I can run it as a stand alone "DI" box for connecting a phone or other consumer line level source.

That said I plan to replace it with a Babyface Pro.

I have found that even when using the USB Pre 2 with Sound Device's ASIO driver I often end up with dropouts and general instability issues (with windows machines, the mac usb class complaint drivers work great with it).
This alone is the largest reason I plan to change over to an RME which historically have had rock solid drivers whenever I have used them.

The RME also has recallable head amps on the mic inputs which is a big plus for when repeatability is desired for measurement work.

Plus the RME still has full size XLR inputs and outputs which is nice.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Sam!

I think that settles my mind. I got a message from a dealer too who can possibly get me a great price.

I did not know about the recallable preamps, but that is super nice. I don't want to have to re-calibrate every time I switch between the ISEMcon emx-7150 and measuring a device.

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on August 02, 2019, 09:09:32 AM ---Thanks, Sam!

I think that settles my mind. I got a message from a dealer too who can possibly get me a great price.

I did not know about the recallable preamps, but that is super nice. I don't want to have to re-calibrate every time I switch between the ISEMcon emx-7150 and measuring a device.

--- End quote ---

Hi Nathan,  another happy camper here with Baby face pro.
The preamps are recallable, as is the whole setup really.  What's cool is how if you switch it from one computer to another, it configures according to the computer.  IOW, I use it as a measurement soundcard with my laptop, and as a DAC with a NUC music server, and as a piece of bench test equip with my desktop.  Whichever computer I plug it into, it automatically  configures for that use.
It has a pretty nice built in mixer, and some good analytic software too.
And this is kinda an off beat reason for liking it, but I've found the flat form factor works.  The XLR ins and outs are both at the top of the unit, and a simple XLR y-connector makes a clutter free loop back.
On the Rational Acoustics forum, there have been requests for Smaart to auto config it, since RA sells it.  RA said it's on the to do list.
That would be another big plus if it ever happens.

Al Rettich:
Honestly, if I was needing a new I/O for smaart I’d consider the Roland OCTA-Capture!
--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on August 01, 2019, 07:49:47 AM ---I'm somewhat in the market for a nice pro interface.

I've been using the UMC404HD that Ivan recommends for sub-top alignment and general tuning work. It works great, 5v phantom power, plenty of IO, robust, cheap, etc.

But I'd like to be able to do distortion measurements or more thorough measurements without getting into Langston's audio precision territory.

I think I have it narrowed to two, but am open to other options. I'm leaning towards the RME because of Langston's review & that it is used-mint on ebay for $550.

$750new RME Babyface Pro:
Pros:
Reviewed by Langston
"world class" everything
+19dBu output
Internal mixer

Cons:
Not exactly a 'road worthy interface'
Stupid name
Internal mixer

$895new Sound Devices USB Pre2:
Pros: