ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Guidance on Designing Scenes Sequences  (Read 9309 times)

Joe Valente

Looking for Guidance on Designing Scenes Sequences
« on: July 29, 2019, 07:55:08 PM »

Greetings all!

I play in a weekend warrior band playing pubs and bars mostly, and we have begun getting serious about doing a little stage lighting. Without getting too deep into the weeds, what we are doing is programming a sequence of scenes that we step through during the songs. Steps are typically triggered by emphasis (think cymbals on the drums). Each scene has two colours/zones (mid-stage and stage sides/back) and a white for stage front.

We are stepping through the scenes, but specific scenes are not mapped to each song or part; rather, we're just trying to create some visual movement when song parts change to improve the overall product.

And here's what I'm looking for: Given our two-zone setup and our goal for visual movement, are there any guidelines I should follow in programming the scenes? I am particularly interested in any ideas you might have on colour changes as we progress through the scenes.

Again, the scenes change with the music, but they are not mapped specifically to each song. We've reached a level of sophistication at which we can change scenes on-demand, but we can't specify which specific scene, we just get the next one in line. So (I think) movement is king.

I would also be interested in any thoughts about good colour combinations, given our two-zone approach.

Oh, and we're using 7x12w RGBW flat-ish PARs, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Looking for Guidance on Designing Scenes Sequences
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »

Greetings all!

Greetings.  Per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up, please change your username to your full name.  No one will be able to offer assistance until this is taken care of.  Thanks!

Joe Valente

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »

Greetings.  Per the forum rules you agreed to when signing up, please change your username to your full name.  No one will be able to offer assistance until this is taken care of.  Thanks!
Apologies -- and done! Thanks for the heads-up!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »

You can't really go wrong with color in general, just be mindful of how that color will react with what's on stage. Some colors will wash out (pun partially intended) what's on stage, so play around and find what works for you. Try mimicking what you've seen at other performances and adapting it to your show, there's no real limits in lighting design, it's as much an art as writing the music it supplements.

If you're wanting to be more precise in the scenes/chases you're selecting instead of simply using a cue list, you could try using something like Luminair or QLC+ to operate your show on a tablet or laptop so that you have complete control of everything.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Joe Valente

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »

You can't really go wrong with color in general, just be mindful of how that color will react with what's on stage. Some colors will wash out (pun partially intended) what's on stage, so play around and find what works for you. Try mimicking what you've seen at other performances and adapting it to your show, there's no real limits in lighting design, it's as much an art as writing the music it supplements.

If you're wanting to be more precise in the scenes/chases you're selecting instead of simply using a cue list, you could try using something like Luminair or QLC+ to operate your show on a tablet or laptop so that you have complete control of everything.

Hey Taylor!

Thanks for the input. I may get to the point where we're using a more powerful system, but, for the moment, the cue list is the limits of what I'm prepared to do.

A bit more background on my journey...

I'm using a Chauvet Obey 40 (which has its own really annoying idiosyncrasies when it comes to MIDI) strictly because it was the only unit at the time that offered MIDI control at a reasonable price point. Originally, I was using a footpedal to run sequences (defined using a MIDI Solutions Event Processor), and I had three sequences of five or six scenes: Warm, Cool, and "Ballad."

The Obey has some really weird stuff going on that I just could not work with manually, so it sat for a little while. Then my band became a duo with a Beat Buddy, and, one morning, I had an epiphany: The Beat Buddy transmits MIDI, and I have modest control over what it passes on.

So, back to the programming board. Had a long (email) chat with John Fast at MIDI Solutions, completely reprogrammed the Event Processor (several times), and ended up with a fully-automated lighting system that the Beat Buddy drives as part of the songs.

However, what I gave up was control over the types of lighting (Warm/Cool/Ballad), so, I thought this was a good time to learn more about best practices and scene-to-scene hygiene.

And you have started me down that road with your solid -- and I think, generally-applicable -- advice.

So thanks again -- very much appreciated!

Joe

Nate Zifra

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »

A technique I find is often overlooked is using Intensity chases.  Depending on your controller, there are different ways to program.  If I understand correctly how you are currently working, you would program a scene with certain # of the pars off, then the next scene with the pars back on and others off.  You can program "Movement" in different ways, like every other fixture, a "Knight Rider" look, or ping ponging between your two zones.  You can also dim fixtures (instead of blackout) to create a pulsing effect. 

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »

As Nate noted, you can generate movement by having some of the lights go off on certain scenes. I always try to make sure that no consecutive scene uses a light with one color. If the light was red on the last scene - make it blue or off on the next scene.

Another trick is to have a scene where one color actually uses a slow fade chase program, built in to the lights. I use those same Chinese pars, which have a dmx setting that will fade through several colors. You can set the fade speed also via dmx.

With the RBGW Chinese lights, good color combo's are R/W, Blue/Green, Blue/White, Blue-Green/Amber, Red/Yellow, Pink/White, etc. For your use, I would stick to (2) colors only. Do you have a fogger or hazer?

For my RGBW lights, I use the following mixes for colors:
Yellow - Red (full), Green 100
Amber - Red (full), Green 50
Pink - Red (full), Blue 50
Blue-Green - Green (full), Blue 50

Joe Valente

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

A technique I find is often overlooked is using Intensity chases.  Depending on your controller, there are different ways to program.  If I understand correctly how you are currently working, you would program a scene with certain # of the pars off, then the next scene with the pars back on and others off.  You can program "Movement" in different ways, like every other fixture, a "Knight Rider" look, or ping ponging between your two zones.  You can also dim fixtures (instead of blackout) to create a pulsing effect.

I hadn't considered this approach. I don't have enough PARs to do this effectively, I don't think, and the two main trees are stage front facing back. But I have several smaller LED PARs that I use in the garage to act as a test system that I could put at the back of the stage facing out, and, with a couple more of them, I could actually do exactly what you're suggesting. I'm going to have to look at this idea seriously -- thanks!

Joe Valente

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 11:10:47 PM »

As Nate noted, you can generate movement by having some of the lights go off on certain scenes. I always try to make sure that no consecutive scene uses a light with one color. If the light was red on the last scene - make it blue or off on the next scene.

Another trick is to have a scene where one color actually uses a slow fade chase program, built in to the lights. I use those same Chinese pars, which have a dmx setting that will fade through several colors. You can set the fade speed also via dmx.

With the RBGW Chinese lights, good color combo's are R/W, Blue/Green, Blue/White, Blue-Green/Amber, Red/Yellow, Pink/White, etc. For your use, I would stick to (2) colors only. Do you have a fogger or hazer?

For my RGBW lights, I use the following mixes for colors:
Yellow - Red (full), Green 100
Amber - Red (full), Green 50
Pink - Red (full), Blue 50
Blue-Green - Green (full), Blue 50

It's funny you should say that: I spent an hour last night going through scenes and rooting out consecutive scenes that included similar colours, making sure every scene was a complete change.

Tomorrow, I'm going to look at some of your colour combos. It's gratifying to note that some of them sound very close to some of the colour combos I'm using now.

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »

I've been down the path before of wondering how to coordinate colors for stage lighting. More often than not, people think they have to use all kinds of crazy random colors just because they can. They figure if their fixture can do RGBW, then why not use them all for a rainbow of colors on stage. This actually has the opposite effect. Once there are three or more colors, then they just sort of wash together and end up being white.

So, I think you're ahead of the game already by setting up a "two zone" approach. With my washes, I limit them to either one or two colors. When choosing two colors, I choose harmonious colors. I use THIS color wheel tool a lot to determine what colors work together.

As for fronts, instead of just a plain white- use something a bit warmer. I tend to use R = 100%, G = 75%, B = 5%, W = 0%. Plain white can look a little garish. Something warmer will make performers look better and won't be overly distracting.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.