Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

EAW SB1000z drivers

(1/2) > >>

Helge A Bentsen:
I bought 4 SB1000z for cheap last year and I'm planning a paint job and new drivers for them.

I know what the original drivers are, I can buy them from my local dealer.
However, I replaced the 12" in some KF750 boxes with a lightweight NEO driver and it turned out pretty well. So this got me thinking, is there another driver that can perform well in a SB1000z and maybe shave off a few kgs?

Chris Grimshaw:
I'd do some physical measurements of the cabinet, load those into Hornresp, and try a few drivers. Keep an eye on port velocity if you're simulating high-power drivers - the SB1000z doesn't seem to be intended for those.

Chris

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on July 30, 2019, 04:16:47 AM ---I'd do some physical measurements of the cabinet, load those into Hornresp, and try a few drivers. Keep an eye on port velocity if you're simulating high-power drivers - the SB1000z doesn't seem to be intended for those.

Chris

--- End quote ---
Chris,

The SB1000z uses both a large center slot port between the slanted baffles and ducted ports on the upper L/R of the front baffle. Although the smaller ports may have high velocity at high power, they will also create a chimney effect reducing internal cabinet heating, reducing power compression.

Many high power/excursion Neo magnet drivers could probably outperform the OEM drivers without port velocity (chuffing) issues.
B&C 18NBX100,18NW100, 18SW100, 18SW115 would all "get er done" and lighten the truck load.

Art

Peter Morris:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on July 29, 2019, 06:10:21 PM ---I bought 4 SB1000z for cheap last year and I'm planning a paint job and new drivers for them.

I know what the original drivers are, I can buy them from my local dealer.
However, I replaced the 12" in some KF750 boxes with a lightweight NEO driver and it turned out pretty well. So this got me thinking, is there another driver that can perform well in a SB1000z and maybe shave off a few kgs?

--- End quote ---

My best GUESS is that the SB1000z used 18sound 18WL1400's, and before the Z version RCF 18P300's  - if that's correct, then it should be easy to find a better neo version of the 1400, hopfully some can confirm if I'm right or wrong.

Peter's 2c

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Peter Morris on August 12, 2019, 05:43:06 AM ---My best GUESS is that the SB1000z used 18sound 18WL1400's, and before the Z version RCF 18P300's  - if that's correct, then it should be easy to find a better neo version of the 1400, hopfully some can confirm if I'm right or wrong.

Peter's 2c

--- End quote ---

They are indeed 18LW1400 in the "Z" version.
I upgraded some "E" versions to "Z" a few years ago and EAW shipped the drivers in 18LW1400 boxes with a EAW sticker on the driver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version