ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PA upgrade recommendations please  (Read 16661 times)

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
Re: PA upgrade recommendations please
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »

Also, the QW218 drivers ALWAYS fail at the little wire leads between the basket and the clips.  I’ve replace all 8 of my baskets with newer versions and they still continue to fail at those points.  The coils are always fine.   I thought Peavey had fixed the problem when they upgraded those little lead wires and connections, but I still end up with the same problem over time.  It just seems like too much movement wears them out and they break. 

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 08:39:34 PM »

Was this only for shows using 1 SM80/side?  I didn’t think two SM80 would compare to four KF650Z.  And I’m also assuming you can’t run two SM80 a side since they’re 80 degrees. 

That’s why I considered using SM80 for smaller shows and then later get four SH46 for larger shows. 

I can still use my KF650Z until I upgrade the tops. 

I just want to replace the subs first.

We would stack 2, 650’s on top of 3, SRX 728’s per side. Two SM 80 and four or six TH 118’s (depending on the show)  replaced that setup. Throw the SM 80 on a DT 3800 with one of Nimrod’s nifty tilters and the bottom of the cabinet is at 12’.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »

For Randall:  I'll plug the JTR Orbit Shifter, sight-unseen, based on reviews of LABsters I Truste®.  Depending on the program material you'll probably find one OS replaces 2-3 QWave (especially in the bottom half-ocatve).

JTR also has the Captivator 218PRO, which'll do 10hz lower than than the Orbit Shifter, according to the specs. This is likely at the expense of output in range above 50hz, where the OS will probably outrun it.

Not many of this model out in the wild that I've seen/heard about, but figure I'd mention it for the OP if he wants sub 30hz output from a value-priced but pro performance cabinet.

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-218pro.html

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »

JTR also has the Captivator 218PRO, which'll do 10hz lower than than the Orbit Shifter, according to the specs. This is likely at the expense of output in range above 50hz, where the OS will probably outrun it.

Not many of this model out in the wild that I've seen/heard about, but figure I'd mention it for the OP if he wants sub 30hz output from a value-priced but pro performance cabinet.

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-218pro.html

Add BassBoss as well. 

But I'd rather go with TH118XL's, more accurate/tighter sound.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »

Anyone for Danley pricing?  PM me

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »

Add BassBoss as well. 

But I'd rather go with TH118XL's, more accurate/tighter sound.

I was trying to keep the recommendation in the OPs price range - if the Yorkville 21" he mentioned is representative of that. The Bassboss and Danley offerings are a bit of a jump from there.

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »

I was trying to keep the recommendation in the OPs price range - if the Yorkville 21" he mentioned is representative of that. The Bassboss and Danley offerings are a bit of a jump from there.

I was only asked to supply 21”s because they wanted more than my current subs can do, not because they wanted 21”s specifically. 

I’m considering the TH118XL since I have power amps already, but I need to find some pricing on 4-6 of them.
From what I read and have been told, they offer what I need over my current subs; go lower, sound better, and can still produce what I need and are a good size/fit.
So, Once I get some pricing, I’ll be better able to make the decision. 

Also, as I’m not familiar, is there a specific processor needed for the Danley boxes?  If so, I would like pricing on that also. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:30:08 PM by Randall Cook »

Rick Alan

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »

I would start with 4 TH118XL and see how you like them.  You will not be disappointed.

4 - SH46 is quite a bit louder then 4 of your 650's. 
2 - SM80 are amazing but you will be sacrificing your mid range for lite and portable compared to your 650's.

If your looking for a one box solution I would demo a SM80F.  If you did a side by side with your current rig and the SM80F you would be amazed.  The SM80F would be clearer and very close to as loud.  If you stacked the SM80F on 2 TH118XL per side you would have everything you are wanting and more. 

Another option I would look at that fits your needs is Ramsdell SD21 Sub Engine.  He just put a new driver in them and they are ridiculous.  If I was not a Danley guy I would have a large stack of them. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:33:07 PM by Rick Alan »

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 12:22:46 AM »

Okay guys, I need some help convincing the band on the TH118XL over the Yorkville 21 subs.  They’ve worked with other providers that use the York 21 and state they want the “feel” it provides; this they want the lows from bass drops, etc.  They’ve asked me if I have a way to demo them so they can compare.  I don’t have any contacts that I’m aware of for me to demo the TH118XL.   
I’m in the Cincinnati, Ohio area if anyone can demo them.  Also, any definite input from any users of both that can give me confirmation that the TH118XL can and will give that “feel” they want?  😂
I don’t want to waste money on Yorkville 21 powered subs if I don’t have to. 
Thank you!

Rick Powell

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 01:13:21 AM »

Okay guys, I need some help convincing the band on the TH118XL over the Yorkville 21 subs.  They’ve worked with other providers that use the York 21 and state they want the “feel” it provides; this they want the lows from bass drops, etc.  They’ve asked me if I have a way to demo them so they can compare.  I don’t have any contacts that I’m aware of for me to demo the TH118XL.   
I’m in the Cincinnati, Ohio area if anyone can demo them.  Also, any definite input from any users of both that can give me confirmation that the TH118XL can and will give that “feel” they want?  😂
I don’t want to waste money on Yorkville 21 powered subs if I don’t have to. 
Thank you!

Robert Piascik who posts here has a bunch of regular TH118s and I think he is in southern OH. Not too many TH118XLs in the wild yet, so getting a demo in a particular location will probably be best coordinated thru Danley's distributor network rather than trying to find a user demo. On paper, the regular and XL versions are pretty close output-wise except for the slightly lower extension of the XLs.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:17:19 AM by Rick Powell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 01:13:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.