ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PA upgrade recommendations please  (Read 8539 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: PA upgrade recommendations please
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:27 am »

Okay guys, I need some help convincing the band on the TH118XL over the Yorkville 21 subs.  Theyve worked with other providers that use the York 21 and state they want the feel it provides; this they want the lows from bass drops, etc.  Theyve asked me if I have a way to demo them so they can compare.  I dont have any contacts that Im aware of for me to demo the TH118XL.   
Im in the Cincinnati, Ohio area if anyone can demo them.  Also, any definite input from any users of both that can give me confirmation that the TH118XL can and will give that feel they want?  😂
I dont want to waste money on Yorkville 21 powered subs if I dont have to. 
Thank you!

Are you going to lose a lot of work if you don't satisfy this one band? Seems like a bad business model to have a single band,  who could stop using you anytime they want regardless of what you decide to buy, dictating what speakers you invest in.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 11:26:04 am »

Are you going to lose a lot of work if you don't satisfy this one band? Seems like a bad business model to have a single band,  who could stop using you anytime they want regardless of what you decide to buy, dictating what speakers you invest in.

^^^ This.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 11:42:20 am »

Theyre negotiating with me to be their sole provider; if that helps clear up where Im going with this.  Without getting into business details; Id like to keep focus on the PA.  Thank you. 

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 12:12:35 pm »

Robert Piascik who posts here has a bunch of regular TH118s and I think he is in southern OH. Not too many TH118XLs in the wild yet, so getting a demo in a particular location will probably be best coordinated thru Danley's distributor network rather than trying to find a user demo. On paper, the regular and XL versions are pretty close output-wise except for the slightly lower extension of the XLs.

Looking at his Facebook photos for Pi Entertainment, hes lining up 8 TH118 and what looks like 4 SM80.  Im curious why he has 8 subs in that configuration; seems like either overkill or it takes more than advertised to do the job.  Maybe he can chime in here?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:16:49 pm by Randall Cook »

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 12:27:58 pm »

Looking at his Facebook photos for Pi Entertainment, hes lining up 8 TH118 and what looks like 4 SM80.  Im curious why he has 8 subs in that configuration; seems like either overkill or it takes more than advertised to do the job.  Maybe he can chime in here?

2 TH118's to 1 SM80 seems right. For rock. I think they recommend 3 to 1 for EDM. I've used 1 SM80 to 1 DBH218 and didn't run out of headroom on the tops.

Jeffrey Knorr - CobraSound.com

• CobraSound.com
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 03:34:43 pm »

Hi Randall,

There's been some great advice in this thread so far!  However, subs are one of my favorite topics so I can't resist joining the discussion.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at:
Danley TH118XL
JTR Orbit Shifters
Fulcrum TS221
RCF TTS 56-A (Although these are self-powered and pricey!)

Any of the above would be a HUGE step up from what you're running now.  I like the form factor of the TH118X's the most myself.  I'll PM you pricing information on the DSL, Fulcrum, and RCF options.  I think the Yorkvilles could scratch your itch too, but the others mentioned above are in another league in terms of packaging and scalability.

As for your top upgrades, the SM80's would be a welcome change in terms of portability for your smaller to mid-sized events.  If you add SH46's or jump to the J7, they will be massive upgrades.  Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  If you were located closer to us, I would gladly help arrange a demo for you.

Thank you,

Jeff

John Schalk

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 04:47:15 pm »

There are six RCF TTS56-A subs for sale in the Everything USED Stage, Sound, & Lighting for Sale or Swap FB group right now.  Asking price is $5800 per box!

They don't have pole cups, so I can't use them ;)

Kemper Watson

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 08:57:15 pm »

2 - SM80 are amazing but you will be sacrificing your mid range for lite and portable compared to your 650's.

I went from 650's to SM 80's and the lack of midrange is negligible . There's always the SM80M that is rated somewhat lower and can have a second use if needed

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2019, 09:21:59 pm »

Hi Randall,

There's been some great advice in this thread so far!  However, subs are one of my favorite topics so I can't resist joining the discussion.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at:
Danley TH118XL
JTR Orbit Shifters
Fulcrum TS221
RCF TTS 56-A (Although these are self-powered and pricey!)

Any of the above would be a HUGE step up from what you're running now.  I like the form factor of the TH118X's the most myself.  I'll PM you pricing information on the DSL, Fulcrum, and RCF options.  I think the Yorkvilles could scratch your itch too, but the others mentioned above are in another league in terms of packaging and scalability.

As for your top upgrades, the SM80's would be a welcome change in terms of portability for your smaller to mid-sized events.  If you add SH46's or jump to the J7, they will be massive upgrades.  Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  If you were located closer to us, I would gladly help arrange a demo for you.

Thank you,

Jeff

The TS221 is a great sub, small size.  They aren't as 'tight' sounding as the first two options. 
The TTS56A is OK, side by side with DBH218 subs - they are about the same output and extension but not as 'tight'. 

I'd look hardest at the first two options. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 11:05:19 am »

The TTS56A is OK, side by side with DBH218 subs - they are about the same output and extension but not as 'tight'. 

I looked up those RCF subs. Slow day at work.

They're about twice the price and over 100 pounds heavier. They should perform better than the DBH218.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 11:05:19 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 25 queries.