ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to upgrade my subs  (Read 4802 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Looking to upgrade my subs
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »

I think the biggest reason for the difference is the Ohm's rating between the two options. The powered model is likely using a 2 ohm or lower speaker. This was a trick they employed years ago for the PRX line and the dual-element speakers. They design the amp to run at those low impedances hence getting good power to weight ratio out of them. The passive models use typical impedance drivers which may alter the characteristics to a more traditionally expected result.

The upside to the powered version is that ALL processing is done within it. Another plus that may improve the performance is that the length of wire between the amp and the speaker is only a foot or so long. This may improve the damping factor characteristics of the amp enough to improve its low-end reproduction ability? Perhaps they found a way to get a lower tuning and maintain output with low impedance, short speaker leads and clever EQ?

Where the passives tend to win out is that you can use an amp that will flog the shit out of the drivers with power and work the things to a very quantifiable performance standard. If you know you can push 6000 watts at the thing so you sling 4,800 at it, you know pretty much exactly what output you can acquire. Given the known sensitivity of the speaker, it is not hard to do. While the passive may not actually acquire more total SPL, at least what you are getting can be left unadulterated from processing. The lack of processing means a frequency response that may have humps that appear to have more output although it actually doesn't. It isn't that they don't perform well ( they do ) it is that you get a very predictable output.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 10:29:27 PM »

I went ahead and ordered a JBL SRX828sP early this week. It came in this afternoon... And one of the magnets had busted off the driver in transit... So it looks like I'll be waiting for another week while that is sorted.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 02:31:23 AM »

That sucks!!!! Definitely had to take a pretty good hit for that to happen. I had an instance once where I had ordered 4 Cerwin Vega coaxial monitors ( back story later ) and upon arrival 2 had been damaged during shipping to the degree that the magnets were literally knocking around in the boxes when then guy sat them down..... Of the other two that did work, one blew its HF driver safety fuse after only a few minutes of testing to see what the things could do. Needless to say, they were all back on a truck the next day......

So about those Cerwin Vega monitors. You have to keep in mind I have been doing this a while and this was back in a time when Cerwin Vega was still having good success and selling Pro Audio gear at Guitar Center and whatnot. I was privy to the fact that coaxial designs were better than conventional 2-ways and really wanted to get the jump on the technology before it was mainstream. At the time I didn't have Radian Microwedge money ( and this was just after the Microwedge was released ) so my options were little. There were only three companies that had coaxial designs that I could get a hold of, Cerwin Vega, FBT and P.A.S. I really wanted the FBT, but they had a very small presence in the USA and the P.A.S company was already on its way to closing and I wasn't going to afford gear that I knew would be unsupported, or hard to acquire support. Cerwin Vega for whatever reason was the only company in the USA with any kind of reputation ( be it good or bad ), had the support and had an affordable option. Needless to say, the venture was short-lived... After opening the things up to inspect the damage I got to see why they were so affordable. MDF, rat-fur covering, and stamped steel baskets with a magnet that was only glued on; poorly. After returning the speakers, I opted for a set of Renkus Heinz CFX-121M's which was the best, affordable and USA made speaker I could get. They still make and sell those same speakers today and the ones I have left are still kicking but and out on a show as I type this. In hindsight, a part of me wishes I invested in the FBT's. They eventually gained traction in the USA and have expanded that line fairly well. I think I did well either way though, as I am still making money with my old RH stuff and I have 8 RCF NX12SMA's also working away for me!

Don't be discouraged by your JBL purchase, The SRX line is still the best speaker for the money you can buy. You won't be dissapointed. Just turn the master volume all the way up to +12db and never look back. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 03:16:44 AM »

Don't be discouraged by your JBL purchase, The SRX line is still the best speaker for the money you can buy. You won't be dissapointed. Just turn the master volume all the way up to +12db and never look back.
It definitely wasn't JBL's fault. I'm actually surprised the cab didn't show any visible damage considering it took a hit hard enough to break a driver. My dealer is sending a replacement and it should be in on Wednesday.

For laughs, I swapped out the OEM drivers in the PAS subs with some JBL 2258HPL drivers I had sitting in the garage this afternoon. Despite the enclosure and ports not being ideal, they still hit pretty hard and sounded noticeably better - just one of the subs was 6dB louder than both with the OEM drivers. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SRX performs once it comes in.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »

It definitely wasn't JBL's fault. I'm actually surprised the cab didn't show any visible damage considering it took a hit hard enough to break a driver. My dealer is sending a replacement and it should be in on Wednesday.

For laughs, I swapped out the OEM drivers in the PAS subs with some JBL 2258HPL drivers I had sitting in the garage this afternoon. Despite the enclosure and ports not being ideal, they still hit pretty hard and sounded noticeably better - just one of the subs was 6dB louder than both with the OEM drivers. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SRX performs once it comes in.

I had 2 SRX828's arrive damaged/defective. The first was DOA but cosmetically perfect and the second worked but had cabinet damage. The third is the one I still own and has been FANTASTIC. It is worth the wait.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »

I think the bottom line here is the delivery people (usps, fedups, ups etc) are very rough on packages. Aside from very light weight stuff like usb memory, pretty much every package that is in a box arrives here with corners mashed, gashes in the sides or, like last week, a box of replacement batteries for an APC UPS arrived with all the tape seams burst and the cardboard ripped. The mess was just dumped in my package box.
Most people can’t complain because the package was delivered while no one was home and the only recourse for a customer is to refuse delivery. The delivery companies won’t take your complaint as they say they are working for the shipper

Bah humbug
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.