ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub(s) to Complement Yamaha DBR10s  (Read 2113 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Sub(s) to Complement Yamaha DBR10s
« on: July 26, 2019, 09:54:53 PM »

I've got a pair of Yamaha DBR10s I've been using for the past several months for small gigs and church events along with my XR18. I've decided I'd like to add a sub or two to increase my capabilities. The gigs I tend to do are typically 50-150 people; occasionally I'll do something larger but not very often. Music is frequently acoustic, but we're doing "full band" some as well(which has prompted the upgrade). Volume levels are well below "full rock concert" levels. I could see upgrading the tops down the road and keeping the DBRs for monitors, but that's not in the cards right now.

I've been eyeing the EV ELX200-12SPs as they are fairly compact and lightweight for subs; I'm currently hauling gear in my Focus Hatchback so I've got to get something smallish and lightweight. Would a 15in sub be significantly better/louder? Are there other lightweight subs I'm not seeing? Will I be happy with one or should I get 2 right out of the gate?

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: Sub(s) to Complement Yamaha DBR10s
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »

One DXS12 will work nicely with a pair of DBR10.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 12:50:24 AM »

One DXS12 will work nicely with a pair of DBR10.

Definitely seems like a good option; my biggest concern is the weight(66 lbs). But that probably wouldn't be too hard to load. According to he specs they get quite a bit louder than the EVs.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 02:01:11 AM »

Yamaha currently has a $100 factory rebate on the DXS12 MK2.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »

Definitely seems like a good option; my biggest concern is the weight(66 lbs). But that probably wouldn't be too hard to load. According to he specs they get quite a bit louder than the EVs.

DXS-12 are really easy to move, IMO. Handles are placed perfectly for picking up and placing in a vehicle.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »

DXS-12 are really easy to move, IMO. Handles are placed perfectly for picking up and placing in a vehicle.
You could add wheels or a cart.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »

I used to have a couple of PRX15xlf's and really liked them but I sold them when I 'thinned' out some gear last time. They didn't get used a lot apart from once in a while for PA in a small bar or using just one along with a top for drummer monitor on bigger stages.  It just didn't seem to happen enough to justify keeping them. I purchased used so I lost nothing when I sold.
Ironically I have had quite a few shows since I sold them where they would have come in handy so I might like another small footprint sub.
 The last couple of years we had so much band work, I wasn't doing much PA work for anyone else but this year we cut back a bit so we can breathe!!... It has also meant I am doing more PA for other bands and really enjoying the variety.
The DXS12 sounds like a good candidate. I have one DXR8 ( sold my DXR10's ) that our guitar player uses as his monitor and I put it up on a tripod behind the PA stack. It keeps it safe and he loves it at ear level. 
I think the DXR8 and DXS12 would be a nice little set - up for small bars and drummer monitor.
I am tempted to get one with the rebate right now. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 12:13:22 AM »

Thanks everyone; just pulled the trigger on a DXS12mkII.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »

Thanks everyone; just pulled the trigger on a DXS12mkII.

Nice - please report back with your findings.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »

Nice - please report back with your findings.....

Got the DXS12 in Thursday; it fits in my car nicely without folding the rear seat with my DBR10s beside it. Mixed a mostly "full band" worship service for a youth retreat Friday night and this morning with the rig; had maybe 40 in attendance. Definitely had power to spare in the space we were in. I'm very happy with the sound quality of the setup; much better than the borrowed JBL Mpro 15s I've used for similar gigs in the past.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.