ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly Live Music Playback Question - connection to mixer  (Read 6196 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Silly Live Music Playback Question - connection to mixer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 03:09:21 AM »

Could it be something stupid like the plug not fully inserted into the phone?  Perhaps being stopped by a case.

Steve.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »

Could it be something stupid like the plug not fully inserted into the phone?  Perhaps being stopped by a case.

Steve.
My thoughts exactly.

Josh Larrimore

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »

Thank you for all of your responses, crew! I'll nail this elementary head-scratcher before the week's end.

Are you plugged into 13/14 or 15/16?
Is the channel "ST" button pressed?
Do you have a phone case?

If the issue follows the swapping of the cable it is either the cable or your phone jack.
I regularly have issues plugging in 1/8" cables with phone cases on.
Also, did you measure the resistance of the cable, not just continuity?
Did you test with a different phone

I tried 13/14 and 15/16, both with the stereo ST button on. I do have an iPhone 8+ Quad Lock case, but the stupid dongle at least allows complete connection. I tried different dongles, too. All of the above with the same result: the problem follows the 1/4" cable.

I did not measure resistance, but that's something I'll try tonight to confirm it's the cable. I haven't tested with a different source yet (doh)! I will try these tonight.

Hollow sounding sounds like op-amp issues due to "Y cables" or polarity issues.

This issue is most likely in your phone and/or the cable.

Thank you! I think we have a cable issue here.

Try a different cable. Try a different phone, while you're at it: if your new cable won't work in any phones then it's garbage (obviously); if it will work in other phones then consider keeping it around in case you find a phone that won't play nicely with your replacement cable.

Thanks Russ, I'm going to try different sources tonight to see if it follows. I couldn't test last night.

What does it sound like if you only plug in one of the 1/4 TS to the mixer, try just going into a channels 1/4 inch input jack?

Is the 1/8 plug fully seating into the phone headphone jack?

I will try this tonight, Mike. I know the 1/8" is fully-inserted (giggity).

I have a band coming up that wants to use an Iphone for backing track - I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just getting the radial ProAV2 and be done with it
Stagebugs are small and affordable.

I wasn't aware of the StageBug stuff: I looked and all of their DI input boxes look like great solutions. This will be a long term solution for me since we don't have much band funds for equipment right now. Probably why I cheaped out on the cable. That Bluetooth one looks cool (as the uncompressed, bit-perfect audiophile crowd shudders uncontrollably), though. All of them look pretty useful.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:05:09 AM by Josh Larrimore »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »

Thank you for all of your responses, crew! I'll nail this elementary head-scratcher before the week's end.

I wasn't aware of the StageBug stuff: I looked and all of their DI input boxes look like great solutions. This will be a long term solution for me since we don't have much band funds for equipment right now. Probably why I cheaped out on the cable. That Bluetooth one looks cool (as the uncompressed, bit-perfect audiophile crowd shudders uncontrollably), though. All of them look pretty useful.

I have a collection of Radial ProAV DIs and a couple of the Stage Bugs.  You can't beat the Stage Bug for simplicity - even presenters at corporate gigs can figure them out!

That said, what your problem sounds like is one lead is out of polarity (hot/cold wires swapped in the cable).  Use an Ohm meter and check that the TIP of one 1/4" plug has continuity with the TIP of the 3.5mm and the TIP of the other 1/4" has continuity with the RING of the 3.5mm.  I suspect that one of 1/4" plugs has its TIP wired to the SLEEVE of the 3.5mm plug.

As I'm not familiar with your mixer, I'll ask if the channels in question have a "phase" (polarity) button or switch.  Having one of them engaged on one channel will give the audible result you're hearing.

I don't think Bluetooth is the answer, as you'll still need to patch the receiver to the mixer and if you use the same cable you have now, you're likely to have the same result.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:34:53 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Check out the Radial StageBug SB-5 for mobile devices.  It has a built-in 1/8" connector and will output either mono XLR or stereo 1/4".  I've had one for a few years and it's been a great addition to my audio toolbox.

+1
I have a pair and they work great!

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.