ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powercon True1 for 1ph motor power?  (Read 5547 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Powercon True1 for 1ph motor power?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 01:58:28 PM »

Thanks Rob, that's a fair point. I'm not sure exactly what that would do to the motor or the equipment, but it definitely wouldn't be good. 4 pin XLR is rated for 10A, 5 and 6 are 7.5A, and 7 pin is 5A. I think any of them would handle the control voltage and current, which is really low. Good idea!

Taylor, the motors spec a 2.7A draw at full load, so any normal power connector should handle the current.

I haven't been inside any of these newer motors, but I do remember the control voltage for a CM lodestar was essentially line voltage -and if anything went wrong, had enough current to heat up and melt the low voltage lines that a client was using. 
I remember having to service that rig and ended up just putting it back to stock 4-pin twist lock using 14-4 S-cable.  I never liked the idea of line voltage in an xlr connector anyways.
The mini Socapex or Veam type connectors were the way to go if you wanted power and control all in one line.  I don't know if I would use NL-8 either, they aren't rated for non-speaker loading and one good pull under full load may arc and burn those delicate little contact fingers instantly.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »

A company I work for uses NL-8 connectors. Works great!

At the motor you have both power and control going into a NL-8. At the controller side you have a NL-8 breakout to power and control. Use couplers to join the NL-8 run to each end.

Just one cable to run, and cables you likely have on hand anyways.

Aside from the code issues which are quite valid....there is a very good reason that most production houses make the motor cables a different connector than speaker or signal distribution. You are dealing with line voltage. Bad things can happen.
Ever seen a motor soco and lx soco cross patched...exciting!

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »

Ever seen a motor soco and lx soco cross patched...exciting!

Oh yes.  Very exciting.
Years ago I was helping load in a sound system for a new production.  Powered Meyer line arrays using socapex to carry the power.  Unfortunately the shop sent out the wrong socapex - the wiring configuration of the socapex cable differed from the socapex breakout.  We found this out the hard way - turning on the power to one speaker cabinet and hearing the loudest sound I've ever heard come out of a speaker.  The miswiring caused power to go through the signal cables too, frying an XTA processor and a couple of console channels. 
The speaker?  It was fine.  The only damage to the entire speaker cabinet was that the onboard amp module had a burnt resistor. 

Hunk Huang

• Soundman and cable designer
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »

A company I work for uses NL-8 connectors. Works great!

At the motor you have both power and control going into a NL-8. At the controller side you have a NL-8 breakout to power and control. Use couplers to join the NL-8 run to each end.

Just one cable to run, and cables you likely have on hand anyways.
true1 is CBC connector
NL8 and old powercon is not
Soundman and cable designer

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »

What is "CBC" in this context?

true1 is CBC connector
NL8 and old powercon is not

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »

What is "CBC" in this context?

I had to search for that term, but it's exactly what I expected:

connector with breaking capacity - CBC (abbreviation)   
   connector specially designed to be engaged or disengaged in normal use when live or under load

http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=581-27-72

I appreciate all the advice in this thread. It seems that XLR probably isn't a great choice for the control, since it's only rated for 50v.

I suppose I could use True1 for the control as well as line, which would minimize the chances of patching something where it doesn't belong.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Brian Larson

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »

II suppose I could use True1 for the control as well as line, which would minimize the chances of patching something where it doesn't belong.

That’s a lateral, if not more dangerous move. Then line voltage could be plugged into the control line. At least swap the control to the female version of a true1 so they aren’t facing the same way and any connections to the motor control would be downstream (not powerING, but getting power FROM).

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »

That’s a lateral, if not more dangerous move. Then line voltage could be plugged into the control line. At least swap the control to the female version of a true1 so they aren’t facing the same way and any connections to the motor control would be downstream (not powerING, but getting power FROM).

That would be the obvious choice, same way dual twist connectors are opposite.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.