ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powercon True1 for 1ph motor power?  (Read 5545 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Powercon True1 for 1ph motor power?
« on: July 23, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »

I just picked up some single phase Prostar hoists and I'm considering connector options for them. These are the only single phase motors in my inventory, or in the inventory of any company I know in the area, and I got them so I'd have motors I could use in places you normally can't.

I'm leaning towards using Neutrik True1 connectors for power rather than twistlocks, due to their smaller size, weather resistance, and the fact that they actually lock. I'm in the process of moving my stage power over to True1 quads, so it would be consistent with that cabling. If I go the True1 route, I'll probably go XLR for control.

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't do this? I don't have a whole lot of experience with True1 connectors yet, but they seem like they'll be durable. And it seems like it would be easy enough to have a controller built using those connectors as well, or to modify an existing one.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Taylor Hall

Re: Powercon True1 for 1ph motor power?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:21:26 PM »

It really comes down to whether the motor's power requirements fall within the specs of the powercon connector (250V 20A) and that the cable being used will fit through the strain relief. The latter will probably be the main concern as people have run into that issue a lot in the past with beefier cables used in the speakon versions.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »

If it were me, I would not use 3 pin XLRs for motor control. Perhaps 4 pin?

I get a bad feeling thinking about some worker plugging a mixer input or output into a motor.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »

If it were me, I would not use 3 pin XLRs for motor control. Perhaps 4 pin?

I get a bad feeling thinking about some worker plugging a mixer input or output into a motor.

Thanks Rob, that's a fair point. I'm not sure exactly what that would do to the motor or the equipment, but it definitely wouldn't be good. 4 pin XLR is rated for 10A, 5 and 6 are 7.5A, and 7 pin is 5A. I think any of them would handle the control voltage and current, which is really low. Good idea!

Taylor, the motors spec a 2.7A draw at full load, so any normal power connector should handle the current.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »

Hi Brian,

We recently got an electrical car.
I bought an EVSE(charging management device) that is dual voltage  -  120V or 240V.  OpenEVSE.com
I terminated it with TrueOne.  The 240V socket at home is TrueOne, and I have a 120V Edison~TrueOne adapter cable for use at friends homes.
Am quite happy with it. 

In addition to cable OD, another possible fly in the ointment is the possibility of plugging a 120V-only device in to a 240V TrueOne socket. 
Label connections well, meter before plugging in. 

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »

Thanks Rob, that's a fair point. I'm not sure exactly what that would do to the motor or the equipment, but it definitely wouldn't be good. 4 pin XLR is rated for 10A, 5 and 6 are 7.5A, and 7 pin is 5A. I think any of them would handle the control voltage and current, which is really low. Good idea!

Taylor, the motors spec a 2.7A draw at full load, so any normal power connector should handle the current.

I don’t expect the sound gear to hurt the motor but I am sure connecting the motor control to a mixer would not be good.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »

Although Brian didn't specify, because he is making stage power quad boxes with True 1, I assumed he had a 120 volt system.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 01:15:43 AM »

Although Brian didn't specify, because he is making stage power quad boxes with True 1, I assumed he had a 120 volt system.

The fear would be that some day on some cross-rental you'd find a burnt-out motor plugged into a True1 with 208V on it. Assuming the motors are only 120V, the advantage of using an L5 connector is that the chances of it seeing the wrong voltage are smaller.

-Russ

veditor78

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »

A company I work for uses NL-8 connectors. Works great!

At the motor you have both power and control going into a NL-8. At the controller side you have a NL-8 breakout to power and control. Use couplers to join the NL-8 run to each end.

Just one cable to run, and cables you likely have on hand anyways.
Josh Rawls

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »

A company I work for uses NL-8 connectors. Works great!

At the motor you have both power and control going into a NL-8. At the controller side you have a NL-8 breakout to power and control. Use couplers to join the NL-8 run to each end.

Just one cable to run, and cables you likely have on hand anyways.

It's actually a Code-violating idea.  SpeakON connnectors are not Listed for this use.  And if using regular speaker cable, it's certainly not to Code.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.