ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DZR NOT the DSR replacement?  (Read 11355 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
DZR NOT the DSR replacement?
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »

If the Yamaha DZR series of speakers is truly the replacement for the DSR series as has been suggested many times, then why has the DSR not yet been either discounted to sell off existing stock or been listed as discontinued?
Is it because the DZR was never intended to be a replacement for the DSR at all? Looking at the design and spec differences and price point, this is probably the case.
With that in mind, the DSR although an amazing sounding speaker in its class is a 9 year old design that has not yet been replaced with a DSR II series.
Is it a case of,  "If it ain't broke - don't fix it?"

Has anyone yet done a true side by side on these 2 speakers??

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
Re: DZR NOT the DSR replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »

Debbie,

I have just taken possession of 2 new DZR315D and 2 DXS18ELFD speakers to replace my DSR112 that I used as main PA.

First, I have not used them on a show yet, but I have set them up in my shop and ran some SMAART tests on them.  I have not taken any screen shots to show the differences but I can tell you the frequency response of the DZR’s is much flatter than the DSR’s.

The DSR’s had a hyped low and high that I always had to EQ out.  The DZR’s were not hyped and out of the box, a much smoother sounding speaker.

They also have a built in 6 band parametric EQ that you can use to really tailor the response.

Last, these speakers go loud.  The DSR’s were loud, but the DZR’s top them easily.  I am guessing at this point, but I believe I can cover twice the size of crowd that I was able to with the DSR’s.

I have a show this Saturday where I am going to using them for a bluegrass show outside on a town square.  I will let you know how they perform.

If anyone is anywhere near Corydon, Indiana, the show is on the Old Capital Square in downtown Corydon and the showtime is from 4pm to 8pm.

Don
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »

A couple users here have used both, I think Scott was one of them so he can probably comment more on A/B results. A lot of what I've seen so far is that the DZR does what the DSR does with much less EQ (not that the DSR needed much) and with a bit less effort.

Looking at the specs I wager that having them as two separate ranges is definitely the more likely scenario. Yamaha seem to have done a good job of taking in all the shortfalls that users found with the DSR line and spun that into the DZR line: more power, more handles, more I/O, digital routing, user-configurable DSP, etc etc. I can't even see them coming out with a DSR-D model that included Dante like the DZR-D models have, that would only serve to further muddy the price gap.

The only fuzzy spec here is the power figure, as this increase only seems to have come in the form of peak output (1500W vs 2000W) according to their literature, while the continuous power rating appears to be the same between the two (1300W). Though we all know these figures are rarely correct even from the manufacturer. If their spl figures are legit, however, then these would provide a very noticeable increase in grunt.

It seems if you're just getting into this class of speaker, getting the DZR is the way to go. If you're already into DSR, It's more of a lateral shift unless any of those new specs/features solve a major issue for you.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »

I have just taken possession of 2 new DZR315D and 2 DXS18ELFD speakers to replace my DSR112 that I used as main PA.
That's not really a fair comparison pitting a 3-way box against a 2-way. The main rub here is seeing what the difference between "like" models would be, ie DSR112 vs DZR12, DSR15 vs DZR15, etc.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 11:50:09 AM »

Debbie,

Last, these speakers go loud.  The DSR’s were loud, but the DZR’s top them easily.  I am guessing at this point, but I believe I can cover twice the size of crowd that I was able to with the DSR’s.

Don

I don't think comparing a 12" 2-way to a 15" 3-way is a valid A-B.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »

Debbie,

First, I have not used them on a show yet, but I have set them up in my shop and ran some SMAART tests on them.  I have not taken any screen shots to show the differences but I can tell you the frequency response of the DZR’s is much flatter than the DSR’s.

The DSR’s had a hyped low and high that I always had to EQ out.  The DZR’s were not hyped and out of the box, a much smoother sounding speaker.

They also have a built in 6 band parametric EQ that you can use to really tailor the response.

I have a show this Saturday where I am going to using them for a bluegrass show outside on a town square.  I will let you know how they perform.

If anyone is anywhere near Corydon, Indiana, the show is on the Old Capital Square in downtown Corydon and the showtime is from 4pm to 8pm.

Don
Thanks for the info Don - most appreciated. As Dave and Taylor have said I do believe a fairer comparison would be between a pair of 12's or 15's. But I'd love to hear how you get on this weekend.

I have been so happy lately with my DSR's and they are still my go to tops for small/med bars. They are just so darn good for vocal clarity..... mmm mm.
I was just looking at the Yamaha rebates online and yet again the DSR's are not included which prompted me to look for any discounts available on the DSR range and so far nothing.. so maybe they are not going away for a while.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »

I think Debbie is spot on. Yamaha has DBRs, DXRs, DSRs, and now DZRs in their portable powered speaker line.

DZR is not supposed to replace DSR, but to supplement them

I mean check out the MSRP on these things: $1249 for a non-Dante DZR12. An SRX812 is $1299. That's the price point Yamaha is competing with, and that's the comparison I'd be very interested in hearing about.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 02:36:51 PM »

Different products.

DSR is a simpler product - no user-configurable DSP.  This is advantageous in some situations.  DZR's DSP and other features (additional handles, symmetrical monitor angles, more refined aesthetics) serve a different need.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »

DSR has been a good seller, but is a little short in techno-bling for 2019.

Yamaha will see if DZR canabalizes the DSR market; if it does, DSR will be gone.  But Yamaha don't want to loose those sales if the DZR isn't the hit they hoped for.

Speaker lineups are driven by sales.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:10:42 PM »

DSR has not been available in Canada for a year now. Weird that the US market can still get. For that matter DZR has been in constant backorder since it’s introduction last year. Very frustrating.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:10:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.