ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Loom cable lengths?  (Read 7242 times)

Nate Zifra

Re: Drum Loom cable lengths?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 11:54:55 AM »

Another vote here for the Whirlwind Drum drop.  I used to use an 8 channel fan out, cut back to expose the cable lengths, and that worked well until the cables failed. Then I moved to individual 10 ft lengths, then to the Whirlwind drum drop. The time savings itself is worth the cost of the Drum drop.

This.

The Whirlwind Drum Drop was/is a life saver. The fan outs are all wrapped in tech-flex, so no binding of cables. Everything is clearly numbered, and the stage box (which has 4 additional inputs) can be easily tucked near the kit. Whirlwind has several lengths of fan outs (back to the stage box/mixer), so you can manage excess cable easily, and it doesn't matter where the stage box may be.

I've built my own looms in the past, but never again. The Drum Drop is/was money well spent.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »

Long length drum looms suck.  We made up a couple of them and spent more time getting out the knots and tangles than they saved us.  Shorter is mo' better.

Subsnakes are your friend.  Really they are.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »

I like to use a 16 channel sub snake at the drum riser, with plenty of short XLRs. The extra channel count helps with other upstage inputs, really keeps things neat.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »

I made a drum sub snake that is a 10 ch with 2 returns.
It covers the drums, the drum monitor, and back line if the drums haven't used them all.
Short XLRs to the mics.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Penkala

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 12:39:04 AM »

I made a drum sub snake that is a 10 ch with 2 returns.
It covers the drums, the drum monitor, and back line if the drums haven't used them all.
Short XLRs to the mics.

I modified a Whirlwind Drumdrop in a similar manner. Channels 1-8 have 8.5 ft tails, 9 and 10 are XLR Female on the box and 11-12 are XLR Male for returns and W1's to the stage box.  This works for 95% of what I do and it's very quick on the out. Otherwise, I like a 16x4 snake with short cables as previously mentioned.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 12:32:47 PM »

I went long on the lengths because I don't know where the drop snake/stage box/mixer will be positioned at every show.

Solution is to have a drop snake dedicated to the drums. Then you know exactly where it's going to be.  If you have the exact same drum kit each time, then a loom might be worthwhile, but I've found that a pile of short 10 foot cables is much faster to deal with than a loom, especially when kits change.
Brian Jojade

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 03:23:03 PM »

+1 this.
The Whirlwind Drum Drop was/is a life saver, money well spent.
Bought my 50' 12-ch with a W1 disconnect at the stage box. If there's room, throw a gender changer on both ends of one line for a (self-powered) drum wedge.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »

Solution is to have a drop snake dedicated to the drums. Then you know exactly where it's going to be.  If you have the exact same drum kit each time, then a loom might be worthwhile, but I've found that a pile of short 10 foot cables is much faster to deal with than a loom, especially when kits change.

Short cables and drum drops rock.   Looms are for tours.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 10:33:32 PM »

Bought my 50' 12-ch with a W1 disconnect at the stage box. If there's room, throw a gender changer on both ends of one line for a (self-powered) drum wedge.

You don't always need a turnaround on the stage side, you can usually just run the cable "backwards" since the input and output connectors on the speaker are parallel.

Also, I agree with most of the previous posts. I built a drum loom that I use with one particular band and it works great for that. On my loom, everything that can be is bundled in braided sleeving, and I think there's 10' after the junction where they all come together (which sits right by the hi-hat stand), enough to get to the floor behind the drum riser but not a ton extra. This connects to a fan breakin to a W1 connector, or occasionally a W1 subsnake.

For that band, which typically uses about 30 channels, I usually only need a total of 4 regular mic cables, everything else on stage is wireless or snakes of some sort. I also only need 6 mic stands on stage, all for vocal mics, since all the mics clip to the drum kit and other instruments. I kinda get a kick out of how efficient it is for a show of its size.

For everything other than that one specific drummer, I use normal cables and subsnakes. Works just fine.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 05:32:25 PM »

A couple months ago, I was able to reacquire my old drum/drop disconnect snake that I built.  I have a 3' tail (M-XLR to CPC) and a 25' CPC-CPC cable chunk.

Here are my channels for instruments and lengths (at the disconnect):
1: Kick - 4.5'
2: Snare - 10'
3: HH - 15'
4: Rack 1 - 10'
5: Rack 2 - 15'
6: Floor Tom - 15'
7: OH - 10'
8: Sampler - 3'
9: Spare - 3'
10: Spare - 3'
11: Spare - 3'
12: Spare - 3'
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 05:32:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.