ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Access Support  (Read 5517 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Remote Access Support
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »

Sorry for my ignorance, but don't you need to set up a server to be the VPN host?

No, most business class routers have VPN servers in them.  I have seen some sub $50.00 routers with OpenVPN in them like Microtik.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »

VPN absolutely has arguments in its favor.  I like being able to remote in and fire up x32 edit on my laptop to remote assist at my church when there are problems.  It works well because we’re both on high speed fiber from the same isp so latency is very low.

For more typical internet where latency through a VPN can be rather high you may find that you need to be running things on a local system.  I find that remotepc/teamviewer are just easier to work with in that scenario.  VPN takes more IT chops and you need to be in a position where you have access to the network router.  If you’re not doing the IT on the site then unless you’re tight with the IT department it’s often a big hassle to get VPN working.  A Remote Desktop service is quite easy in comparison.  Remember any Dante work will require your being local.  Of course you can use windows Remote Desktop over a VPN connection or OSX screen sharing etc.

Just make sure whatever you do that it’s OK with the client that you put a remote access portal on their network.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 07:26:09 PM »

If security is also a priority then the consumer products mentioned here are relatively week. This is part of my "day job"

https://www.secomea.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »

If security is also a priority then the consumer products mentioned here are relatively week. This is part of my "day job"

https://www.secomea.com

Mine too - Director of Network Engineering at Sangoma Technologies

Notice I said OpenVPN based so that makes it as good as OpenSSL from a security standpoint. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.