ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear Hauler; Pick-Up Truck VS mini Cargo Van  (Read 11483 times)

Steve Ferreira

Re: Gear Hauler; Pick-Up Truck VS mini Cargo Van
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »

I use a Chevy Express extended with a Duramax Diesel. I have been very happy with it. Sometimes I'm surprised at how much gear I fit in there. The only issue I have with it is the damn DEF system.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »

Early last year I realized I really needed a cargo van, after a couple of years with an Odyssey w/tow hitch for the bigger gigs. I did my homework on the available options and landed on the Mercedes Metris - price is actually comparable to similarly spec'd vans from other manufacturers, it carries 3500lbs and can tow 5000 - so far I haven't had to tow anything, it LOVES being packed to the ceiling with gear!

I did a 4-day camping festival in June, packed all the gear plus our camping gear, with all of that it was able to easily maintain 70mph through the NorCal hills and got 22mpg on the way & 24mpg on the return (elevation change made the difference) running on cruise-control the whole way.

This Sunday I had two gigs, one 10 minutes from home so I hauled out & set that one up, made sure the engineer had everything he needed, and went home & loaded for my other gig.

It's a pleasure to drive, hauls all the gear I need, gets good gas mileage, and fits in a normal garage. Highly recommended.

I know a new one isn't in the budget stated in the OP, but used ones are out there & the drive train should be good for >300,000 miles with regular servicing.

Steve Garris

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »

Yessir! Also the Pontiac Montana and Buick Terraza.  I literally drove my Terraza into the ground (envision Rooster Cogburn's foaming horse) on my last trip across the Blue Ridge Mountains to North Carolina.

Dave

The Montana is my gig rig. Black with tinted windows, my wife calls it the "creeper van". I paid $700 for it 5 years ago, and have spent little on it for maintenance. It holds my SRX 815's over 818's, (4) DSR112's, (2) smaller speakers for 6 monitors total, all cases & cables, plus a 24 LED light show. Mine has the rear shocks that self-adjust. It drives the same empty or full.

I'm actually in the market for a real work van myself. I want to add more sub's, and the Montana is becoming a reliability issue. Additionally, I want protection from my gear in case of an accident.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »

The e-350 is a one ton full size van.
AKA Chev 3500, or GMC G-30
4X8 fits easily between the wheel wells.....
I had the Chevy.
Chris.

The E-350 is our workhorse, I wish it was an extended on occasion.  The Powerstroke has all the mods (thanks Jeff Bankston for steering me in right direction when we got it) It is good on fuel, easy to drive and the modded diesel is unstoppable. 

We have an old 1985 Uhaul with the 7L diesel, lots of patches to the box.  Every year we say we are going to sell it and get something more aesthetically pleasing.  Then it does another season of great service and it's best feature, it's paid for!  Surprisingly nobody ever says anything about it.  A guard at the Westin dock gave us a ration of shit and told us we had to sweep the rust out of the bay before we left.  She probably loses a few pounds a day!
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »

A guard at the Westin dock gave us a ration of shit and told us we had to sweep the rust out of the bay before we left.  She probably loses a few pounds a day!
Oh yea. I grew up in the Cleveland area.  I remember rust.
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.