ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Better quality is a must. JBL SRX OR JBL PRX.  (Read 9908 times)

Giorgos Naias

Better quality is a must. JBL SRX OR JBL PRX.
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:01:38 AM »

Hello to everyone.

I am new here and I already read many articles about the JBL srx 800 Vs the JBL prx800 but I still need your help and thank you for that.

I am making only two events per year on the beach for  around 200 people.
I used to have 2 prx725p and 2 prx718p and the sound quality and volume for what I needed was very nice.
I sold them and now I am between 2 options and here is where I need your help.

Should I buy

A : 2 srx835p and 1 srx818p
Or
B : 2 prx825p and 2 prx818xlf

They are around the same money and I thought to buy better quality speakers but with one subwoofer.

I play only DJ music and sometimes small lives.
 The kind of DJ music we play is reggae,house,techno, progressive trance.
How can I compare the two options with the speakers I had?

Thank you.

Matthias McCready

Re: Better quality is a must. JBL SRX OR JBL PRX.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »

Hello to everyone.

I am new here and I already read many articles about the JBL srx 800 Vs the JBL prx800 but I still need your help and thank you for that.

I am making only two events per year on the beach for  around 200 people.
I used to have 2 prx725p and 2 prx718p and the sound quality and volume for what I needed was very nice.
I sold them and now I am between 2 options and here is where I need your help.

Should I buy

Or

They are around the same money and I thought to buy better quality speakers but with one subwoofer.

I play only DJ music and sometimes small lives.
How can I compare the two options with the speakers I had?

Thank you.

If quality is the determiner go for the SRX. For an SRX setup I would go for a pair of 812P's and an 828P (depending on the dB level you are attempting to achieve you may want more subs). Through a dealer the pricing is pretty good (well under $4k)...

However it must be asked, if you are only doing two events a year why the heck buy a system for it?! To the point you can rent a pretty nice rig for very little cash these days. See what local rates are for D&B, L'Acoustic, Meyer Etc. To the point I have rented UPA's cheaper than I would want to rent my SRX's out for!

You can rent something far nicer than you can buy, and I would guess it would take many years (at two events a year) before you would be outlaying as much cash as you would in buying stuff now. You also would not need to store the stuff and would not be tying up as much capital.

Matthias
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »

Hi Giorgos, I agree with Matthias - this is a rental situation twice over.  Once because you’re only using the gear twice a year, and again because you’re using the gear on the beach.  Sand can really mess up equipment.

Instead, I vote to spend the money on things that are truly needed for your business such as insurance, or something that will help lead to more than 2 jobs per year (eventually justifying ownership of a sound system).  Hope this helps!

FYI - this topic is in the wrong section.  I think you’ll get more input in the Lounge.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 05:35:46 PM »

Third, for only two gigs year you should rent it. For 200 people you could see if there is a local company which has 2x double 18" (or 4x single 18") and two good tops. Unless you want it madly loud in the entire room/space.

For price against quality for instance a D&B setup consisting of 4x Q-sub + 2x Q7 on a stick. (old boxes, so price is lower, and no one would ever complain, they still sound good for a DJ-setup) Or other, like mentioned, Meyer, / L'Acoustic etc.

Giorgos Naias

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 11:39:45 PM »

Hello guys and thank you for the reply.

The thing is that I live in a Greek island and to rent something here is hard or very expensive.
Also the events that I am doing are open and free and I am not making money from them.
I love sound and I love speakers and that's why I would like to buy something because it's easier for me to create an event without having to plan it days or months before.
I also have a generator and anytime I want I can go to beach and create an event even at the same night.

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »

If better quality is a must (per your title), then this is an easy answer - SRX.

Per suggestions above, you may want to consider the SRX 812 or 815 over the SRX 818 subs (so you can get 2 subs).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »

Just did a quick calculation and according to what I see online ( if my math is correct) , in the USA the cost of the following 2 rigs is the same:

2 x PRX825p & 2x PRX818xlf
1 x SRX828sp & 2 x SRX812p

$4600

As per Jay's comment, the simple answer to your title is easy - when it comes to which is 'better quality' overall the SRX wins and in this case if you can utilize the double 18" and go single 12 tops, not only does the SRX win in sound quality but costs the same as the PRX rig you quoted. EASY choice.
I own both SRX and PRX rigs....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 10:56:27 AM »

Or

Speaking as another DJ who does a fair amount of reggaeton and house in outdoor venues during the summer, I think your choices in JBL should be between these options:

A : 2 SRX815P and 2 SRX828SP
Or
B : 2 PRX815 and 4 PRX818XLF

Like you I like the sound of a 15" top (just one per side is sufficient), but I would not want to be outdoors mixing reggaeton with fewer than four 18" subs.

From there it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. And if you are in Greece DEFINITELY check out options other than JBL... for example, RCF is just as highly regarded and based in Italy.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »

Speaking as another DJ who does a fair amount of reggaeton and house in outdoor venues during the summer, I think your choices in JBL should be between these options:

A : 2 SRX815P and 2 SRX828SP
Or
B : 2 PRX815 and 4 PRX818XLF

Like you I like the sound of a 15" top (just one per side is sufficient), but I would not want to be outdoors mixing reggaeton with fewer than four 18" subs.

From there it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. And if you are in Greece DEFINITELY check out options other than JBL... for example, RCF is just as highly regarded and based in Italy.

This is what I would recommend as well. More subs.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:18:19 AM »

\
1 x SRX828sp & 2 x SRX812p

$4600

Through a good dealer, you can get that rig for at least a $1,000 cheaper... just sayin'  ;D
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:18:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.