ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio transport over fiber  (Read 5044 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Audio transport over fiber
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »

Ok, let's clear the air a little bit as this was not intended to devolve into what is or isn't considered a network, but looking for options of equipment that I may have overlooked. 

My request for "No Dante, AVB, QLan, HiQnet, or anything requiring a network switch in between" has nothing to do whether or not the signal can ride on CAT5/6 or copper.  It has to do with the fact that this needs to be the most simple, un-complex solution possible with the least amount of equipment involved.  Maybe I should have mentioned point to point is the preference here to clarify - mea culpa. 

I appreciate those that have contributed thus far.  The viable solutions seem to be MADI or Optocore based, or possibly Rocknet.  I think some of the broadcast frames discussed earlier in the thread are going to price themselves out of contention.  I have also seen some of the Artel FiberLink boxes, but they are primarily either analog audio or AES, not both, which would involve an A/D converter on the near end.  Not the end of the world, but the SSL and Directout are both "all in one" systems.

If anyone has any additional transport protocol/solution that has been missed, please feel free to share it here.

None of the suggested alternatives are simpler than a TCP/IP network with a the same number of nodes - especially the broadcast products.

What about this project requires capability for the brain-dead?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »

None of the suggested alternatives are simpler than a TCP/IP network with a the same number of nodes - especially the broadcast products.

What about this project requires capability for the brain-dead?

Two-fold:  1. Fiber infrastructure and 2. Territorial departments.

Fiber is a given, that was covered.  But you want to involve a network switch?  This is no longer the AV department, now IT gets involved. Don't get me started on it not being connected to the internet or anyone else.  I've raised that flag.

Do the users have the knowledge and capability of dealing with the other systems?  Absolutely.  But they don't want someone else's fingers in their pie.  Not from administration, supply or "support".  So yes, it needs to be a "dumb" system.

I don't makes the rules.  I just help other people bend them.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

Fiber is a given, that was covered.  But you want to involve a network switch?  This is no longer the AV department, now IT gets involved. Don't get me started on it not being connected to the internet or anyone else.  I've raised that flag.

Do the users have the knowledge and capability of dealing with the other systems?  Absolutely.  But they don't want someone else's fingers in their pie.  Not from administration, supply or "support".  So yes, it needs to be a "dumb" system.

If you only have 2 endpoints why do you think a network device needs a switch? Dante devices can be used without a switch for multiple devices in daisy chain mode (the same amount of redundancy you would get with any other system) or with only 2 devices also in redundant mode by using 2 fibers. You will need media converters to change fiber to CAT5 without a switch.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »

Just buy a switch that doesn't look like a switch.

Don't tell them what an EtherCon is, and there's no way they're going to think this is any more a switch than a Yamaha RIO is. (even though all Dante equipment has internal switches...)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 01:29:26 AM »

you could go a video embed/de-embed route route to achieve this, its a pretty rock solid method used in the broadcast world and I've done this trick many times in my video days.

Trisync/Black Generator or some other video source ->2-4 SDI Audio Embedder (4ch analog or 8 ch AES , 24 bit/48khz only you daisychain on different channel blocks) onto HDSDI/SDI video stream - > HDSDI/SDI to Fiber media converter ->Fiber  - >fiber to HDSDI/SDI media converter -> SDI Audio De-Embedder. you get upto 16 chs of Audio on SDI/HDSDI
David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »

you could go a video embed/de-embed route route to achieve this, its a pretty rock solid method used in the broadcast world and I've done this trick many times in my video days.

Trisync/Black Generator or some other video source ->2-4 SDI Audio Embedder (4ch analog or 8 ch AES , 24 bit/48khz only you daisychain on different channel blocks) onto HDSDI/SDI video stream - > HDSDI/SDI to Fiber media converter ->Fiber  - >fiber to HDSDI/SDI media converter -> SDI Audio De-Embedder. you get upto 16 chs of Audio on SDI/HDSDI

I had forgotten about this option.  I have used a simple Blackmagic switcher and SDI box to do just this before.  The coax can be easily converted to fiber. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.