ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing my DSP  (Read 13658 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Replacing my DSP
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »

I have been using a Sabine Nav 480 for a long time. It has served me very well but I think the time has come to replace it as Sabine is no more and I worry about a failure these days. I will likely keep the Sabine racked as a spare.

I use it with subs and two pair of EV QRX-212s running in bi-amp mode.

I got my original settings for it from EV way back when. I actually sent the unit to an engineer at EV and he derived the settings for me from their reference DSP.

I have two primary configurations I use. A standard stereo crossover with HF, MF and mono sub out. The second one is similar except I use 3 inputs for Aux fed subs.

The new DSP is a dbx DR360.
I found a set of parameters for a DR260 that Evan Kirkendal posted. Does anyone know if DR260 settings will work with a DR360? I know that setting are not always portable due to different DSP implementations.

Alternatively, is there a current contact at EV who might have settings for the DR360? I didn’t find anything on the EV website besides their own DSPs.

I suppose I could feed pink noise into a channel of my old DSP and a channel of the new one and use SMAART to make the new one the same as the old. I may do that anyway but starting with something close should make it easier.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I had been running a 4xqrx212 over 2xsrx728 up until last Sept in a 600+ person room with a base model driverack. I had tuned the system with smaart and then tweaked to taste. I don't remember all of my settings but a few significant things I do remember are:

1. High passing subs at 80 and low passing tops at 100 to smooth out the transition

2. Lowering the crossover point of the tops to about 1.1, pulling back the relative level of the hf driver, and using a pretty big shelf at the top end to reduce the hissyness. Yes I was giving up some max volume, but I had what the room needed.

I do remember having a few specific eq band tweaks but the were done in place and we're room specific not box specific.

By the way, I ran a Sabine 4800 for years on my personal system when my main boards were ls9/01v/analog mostly for parametric eq and fill delay with powered boxes. Since changing to m32/x32, the Sabine is basically retired. My one passive system I do the dsp processing in the amp these days.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:11:52 AM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »

I had been running a 4xqrx212 over 2xsrx728 up until last Sept in a 600+ person room with a base model driverack. I had tuned the system with smaart and then tweaked to taste. I don't remember all of my settings but a few significant things I do remember are:

1. High passing subs at 80 and low passing tops at 100 to smooth out the transition

Please tell me that was a slip of the mind, and you aren't really using those subs as nothing more than glorified speaker stands for your tops?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »

Ok, old thread but same dsp

I have a question on setting delays on the Venue 360.

Over on the alignment section, I have a small delay on the LF output as per specs. The other outputs are zero.

There are two more areas for delays but they are grayed out.
I want to set a 6ish ms delay for the tops to better align with the subs but want to avoid the LF alignment setting so if I klutz while tuning up the rig in the field, I don’t mess up the top box internal alignment.
Also, I would like to add a back line delay as that can vary by venue due to stage depth and mains location.
So, it seems like the 2 grayed out sections are perfect for this but, how do I use them?

I could use output delays on the mixer but I like having all the speaker processing in one place.

I created 2 configurations on the dsp. One as stereo 2 way with mono subs and one as stereo 2 way with aux subs.

I got surprised (though I should not have) that the sub output was 6dB lower on the aux sub configuration as it isn’t getting signal from the mixing of 2 inputs.

So, where do all y’all put the extra gain needed? On the aux out of the desk? On the input mixer in the dsp?  Or...?

Thanks.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2019, 06:05:47 PM »

Ok, old thread but same dsp

I have a question on setting delays on the Venue 360.

Over on the alignment section, I have a small delay on the LF output as per specs. The other outputs are zero.

There are two more areas for delays but they are grayed out.
I want to set a 6ish ms delay for the tops to better align with the subs but want to avoid the LF alignment setting so if I klutz while tuning up the rig in the field, I don’t mess up the top box internal alignment.
Also, I would like to add a back line delay as that can vary by venue due to stage depth and mains location.
So, it seems like the 2 grayed out sections are perfect for this but, how do I use them?

I could use output delays on the mixer but I like having all the speaker processing in one place.

I created 2 configurations on the dsp. One as stereo 2 way with mono subs and one as stereo 2 way with aux subs.

I got surprised (though I should not have) that the sub output was 6dB lower on the aux sub configuration as it isn’t getting signal from the mixing of 2 inputs.

So, where do all y’all put the extra gain needed? On the aux out of the desk? On the input mixer in the dsp?  Or...?

Thanks.

It's about the limited processing blocks.  What I did for your stereo 2 way with mono subs... recalled preset 8.  Enter config mode and on the Input side, replaced the GEQs with backline delay.  On the Output side, replace the compressors (not the limiters) on A and B with Fill Delay.

For subs on aux levels I'd put the +6dB on the crossover output if matching up to the mono subs level is important.  Since most sub on aux is "turn it up until you like it" it may not matter as much.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:11:37 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »

It's about the limited processing blocks.  What I did for your stereo 2 way with mono subs... recalled preset 8.  Enter config mode and on the Input side, replaced the GEQs with backline delay.  On the Output side, replace the compressors (not the limiters) on A and B with Fill Delay.

For subs on aux levels I'd put the +6dB on the crossover output if matching up to the mono subs level is important.  Since most sub on aux is "turn it up until you like it" it may not matter as much.

Thanks Tim
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Matt Greiner

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »

Rob,
If there is flexibility, I would really recommend a processor from EV that does FIRs for those boxes. Something like the EV DX46.  In my experience it does take them to the next level. Or look at the TGX amps with processing inside.

I just recently acquired several pairs of the EV Qrx212's as well, and was looking into proper DSP for them.  I can't find the DX46 anywhere on the EV website, other than a press release from 2010.  Does anyone know if they are discontinued?  Or does anyone have one laying around they may be willing to part with?  If not, I may end up going the same route as Rob with a dbx venu360.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:48:08 PM by Matt Greiner »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2019, 04:42:15 PM »

I just recently acquired several pairs of the EV Qrx212's as well, and was looking into proper DSP for them.  I can't find the DX46 anywhere on the EV website, other than a press release from 2010.  Does anyone know if they are discontinued?  Or does anyone have one laying around they may be willing to part with?  If not, I may end up going the same route as Rob with a dbx venu360.

The DX46 is still showing on my dealer pricing sheet. List cost is $1933.   
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »

I picked up the DX46 that I have used and really like how it works with Biamping the QRX212 speakers with the EV supplied FIR filters.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2019, 06:03:38 PM »

The DX46 is still showing on my dealer pricing sheet. List cost is $1933.

I apologize, I should have been more clear in my post.  You are correct, they do have a few units left in their stock.

I guess I was more interested in knowing if they truly were discontinued, or if them being absent from the website was an oversight.  Or maybe even a new, updated product to take it's place.  Perhaps I'm wrong for feeling this way, but I'm not excited about purchasing a product that is (potentially) no longer manufactured.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »

I picked up the DX46 that I have used and really like how it works with Biamping the QRX212 speakers with the EV supplied FIR filters.

Not to beat a dead horse, but were you using a driverack (or other DSP) before? Or just running them full range?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.