ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minidsp UMIK-1 USB measurment microphone?  (Read 1114 times)

Miguel Dahl

Minidsp UMIK-1 USB measurment microphone?
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:55:43 AM »

I couldn't find anything informational on this thing. Is anyone using it?

My understanding is that it's aimed mostly for the home cinema / Audio market. But will it more or less cut the cheese for simple pro audio use?

It would mainly be used to get some data on that "odd" cone in the shop and level metering. But if anyone has any other uses that would be welcome too. I'm looking for something which could eliminate the need to set up my interface once in a while. I'm not sure if a USB-mic would fit the bill but I'd want to ask. For time alignment and tuning-functions I guess I'd still need to hook up my interface to feed the desk with some audio and loopback to the software. But for "seeing" that "this speaker tops out at 8k", I guess this would be good enough?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:37:49 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
Re: Minidsp UMIK-1 USB measurment microphone?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:13:37 PM »

I couldn't find anything informational on this thing. Is anyone using it?

My understanding is that it's aimed mostly for the home cinema / Audio market. But will it more or less cut the cheese for simple pro audio use?

It would mainly be used to get some data on that "odd" cone in the shop and level metering. But if anyone has any other uses that would be welcome too. I'm looking for something which could eliminate the need to set up my interface once in a while. I'm not sure if a USB-mic would fit the bill but I'd want to ask. For time alignment and tuning-functions I guess I'd still need to hook up my interface to feed the desk with some audio and loopback to the software. But for "seeing" that "this speaker tops out at 8k", I guess this would be good enough?

I don't personally own one, but it's commonly used with REW software. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for you.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 04:08:50 AM »

I have and use one. It seems easily good enough for a quick test. The most common use I have for mine is to quickly throw some pink noise on a monitor or FOH system and use it as a visual reference to double check what I'm hearing. A couple of times I've spotted something on it which I had missed, to be honest, so it's paid for itself.

I also use it along with an iPad running AudioTools as an SPL Meter, once again, it's probably not very accurate, but it's a nice visual. I like to start rock shows fairly quiet, note the level and the as the gig goes I'll slowly push the levels up and it's nice to know where I started rather than just guessing.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:23:51 AM »

I've got one of the Dayton Audio branded ones, does perfectly fine for simple room measurements or quick snooping of cabinet performance.

You are correct that you'd still need some form of loopback if you wanted to do FFT-related tasks, but for everything else that would give you an easy quick-and-dirty look at what you're working with.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »

Alright. Thanks. I'll put it on my list then. And I'll be using REW with it, yes.

@Jon, when pinking mons, do you use a microphone stand or anything else? Some sort of small clamp which one could use to clamp the mic to the side of the laptop would be nifty for walking around.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.