ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing my DSP  (Read 13493 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Replacing my DSP
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »

I have been using a Sabine Nav 480 for a long time. It has served me very well but I think the time has come to replace it as Sabine is no more and I worry about a failure these days. I will likely keep the Sabine racked as a spare.

I use it with subs and two pair of EV QRX-212s running in bi-amp mode.

I got my original settings for it from EV way back when. I actually sent the unit to an engineer at EV and he derived the settings for me from their reference DSP.

I have two primary configurations I use. A standard stereo crossover with HF, MF and mono sub out. The second one is similar except I use 3 inputs for Aux fed subs.

The new DSP is a dbx DR360.
I found a set of parameters for a DR260 that Evan Kirkendal posted. Does anyone know if DR260 settings will work with a DR360? I know that setting are not always portable due to different DSP implementations.

Alternatively, is there a current contact at EV who might have settings for the DR360? I didn’t find anything on the EV website besides their own DSPs.

I suppose I could feed pink noise into a channel of my old DSP and a channel of the new one and use SMAART to make the new one the same as the old. I may do that anyway but starting with something close should make it easier.

Thoughts?

Thanks
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Replacing my DSP
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »

When I was getting my QRx rig up and running, this is the email address I got settings from.

I did have to jump up and down on their Facebook page to get a response.

[email protected]

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:02:16 PM »

I have been using a Sabine Nav 480 for a long time. It has served me very well but I think the time has come to replace it as Sabine is no more and I worry about a failure these days. I will likely keep the Sabine racked as a spare.

I use it with subs and two pair of EV QRX-212s running in bi-amp mode.

I got my original settings for it from EV way back when. I actually sent the unit to an engineer at EV and he derived the settings for me from their reference DSP.

I have two primary configurations I use. A standard stereo crossover with HF, MF and mono sub out. The second one is similar except I use 3 inputs for Aux fed subs.

I found a set of parameters for a DR260 that Evan Kirkendal posted. Does anyone know if DR260 settings will work with a DR360? I know that setting are not always portable due to different DSP implementations.

Alternatively, is there a current contact at EV who might have settings for the DR360? I didn’t find anything on the EV website besides their own DSPs.

I suppose I could feed pink noise into a channel of my old DSP and a channel of the new one and use SMAART to make the new one the same as the old. I may do that anyway but starting with something close should make it easier.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rob,
If there is flexibility, I would really recommend a processor from EV that does FIRs for those boxes. Something like the EV DX46.  In my experience it does take them to the next level. Or look at the TGX amps with processing inside.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Schalk

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »

The band I work for has a QRx153 over PX2181 rig and they use a DriveRack, but I'm not sure of the model.  The band leader has told me that their former BE SMAART'd the rig and tweaked the stock settings that they got from EV.  Apparently they were close, but quite right. 

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »

Can settings from a DR260 be imported to a VENU360?  No - they are different beasts.

You can manually transfer those settings, though.  Have both programs running (with Driveware 260 in off-line mode) to make things easier.  Should get you close.  Fine tune from there.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »

Can settings from a DR260 be imported to a VENU360?  No - they are different beasts.

You can manually transfer those settings, though.  Have both programs running (with Driveware 260 in off-line mode) to make things easier.  Should get you close.  Fine tune from there.

Dave

I don’t care about importing settings. I will enter them myself.
My concern is if the Venue360 implements filters such that settings for a DR260 will work.

By the way, I do not have a 260.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »

Rob,
If there is flexibility, I would really recommend a processor from EV that does FIRs for those boxes. Something like the EV DX46.  In my experience it does take them to the next level. Or look at the TGX amps with processing inside.

No flex here. I have a dbx Venue360 to replace my NAV480. Turns out I never really used the 4th input much or the extra 2 outputs.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »

I have heard (but cannot confirm) that on some models of DBX processors the same numbers will result in different actual settings.

This is typical for many DSPs.

The best way is to do a transfer function of your current Sabine and then adjust the DBX as needed.

I have seen some DSPs be almost an octave off in xover settings and the filter width be twice or half of another model.

DO NOT assume the numbers will give you the same result
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »

By the way, I do not have a 260.

You won't need one to run the Driveware 260 program on a computer and import the settings file.

Ivan's concerns notwithstanding, I'd enter the settings manually then use an RTA to verify.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »

...use an RTA to verify.

Why stop there? Use a dual channel analyzer and really verify -- magnitude and phase. An all-pass filter, or any non-minimum phase behavior, won't show up on an RTA. I would always want to do a final verification, including an acoustic one with a mic, no matter how sure I am of the settings. All the info may be perfect but I can still find a way to screw it up. Check the limiters with a voltmeter while you're at it.  And then sit back, play some nice music, and have a beer (or something) for the final verification  8)

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 02:40:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.