ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding Ubiquiti AC MESH AP To Band's Airport Extreme Network  (Read 12445 times)

John Schalk

Re: Adding Ubiquiti AC MESH AP To Band's Airport Extreme Network
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »

Thanks for all of information everyone.  I used the new Mesh AP last night and it worked wonderfully well.  I used a mic stand with a boom to get the AP up as high as I could and I located it downstage right.  We were playing through a providers PA at a street festival, and I was able to go back up the street as far as I cared to, without any dropouts or laggy behavior from MixingStation.

I brought my new toy home and I will try some of the other configuration recommendations.  My goal now is to package all of the pieces together and mount them in our headamp rack.

On a different note, check out how the PA was deployed.  The speakers are Mackie SRM550s.  The subs, also Mackies (2 per side), were stacked on the bottom of the scaffolding that the top boxes are on, possible for ballast.   I was into the limiters almost from the downbeat and they did not sound good.  The sound company was super nice to work with, but when you see something like this, do any of you comment about how it would be better to orient the cabinets differently?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 06:32:52 PM »

Thanks Scott.  I like the idea of still using the Airport Express as the DHCP server since it's so small and they make wall mount brackets for them, which may be useful for racking it up.  I will do some research on PoE switches to see if I can find a small one. 

Can you comment on it's okay to continue using the "radio" on the Airports along with the UniFi AP (same SSID)?

I think it would be problematic on the same SID.  You will have dropouts as you get within the capture of each radio.  You also said mount it in the rack so that makes the signal useless.

For just DHCP I would use a Raspberry Pi.  1/2 the size of the airport and it can so much more.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »

Gotta love the Showmobile stage with it's sea shell sounding reflections.

Three SRM550's in what looks like a straight row was probably not too much fun.

I just looked them up for a little a spec info, 90X50, 3000hz crossover, one inch voice coil high frequency driver, all equals music store PA.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »

Thanks for all of information everyone.  I used the new Mesh AP last night and it worked wonderfully well.  I used a mic stand with a boom to get the AP up as high as I could and I located it downstage right.  We were playing through a providers PA at a street festival, and I was able to go back up the street as far as I cared to, without any dropouts or laggy behavior from MixingStation.

I brought my new toy home and I will try some of the other configuration recommendations.  My goal now is to package all of the pieces together and mount them in our headamp rack.

On a different note, check out how the PA was deployed.  The speakers are Mackie SRM550s.  The subs, also Mackies (2 per side), were stacked on the bottom of the scaffolding that the top boxes are on, possible for ballast.   I was into the limiters almost from the downbeat and they did not sound good.  The sound company was super nice to work with, but when you see something like this, do any of you comment about how it would be better to orient the cabinets differently?

Eh, you just have to feel the guy out. If he seems like he wants to please everyone and he is just ignorant, I'll be happy to teach them better ways to deploy. Like for that rig I might have stacked two tops with the upper one flipped upside down. Horn to horn and straight ahead so you get the least amount of bad things happening. Then use the third one for a front fill.

But if the guy is a know-it-all and will clearly get offended, I just do my job, collect my check and go home. Not much you can do in those situations.

I have a few times turned speakers off or down when I knew they were just going to cause trouble. I did this without the provider knowing about it, and they typically don't catch on and just wonder at my abilities to make their PA sound so good! lol.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Schalk

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:58 PM »

... Like for that rig I might have stacked two tops with the upper one flipped upside down. Horn to horn and straight ahead so you get the least amount of bad things happening. Then use the third one for a front fill...
That is exactly what I was thinking to try to help the situation.  After the show, I talked with the owner about our new WAP and he was really open, so I think there was probably an opportunity that I missed to make those changes to their rig for our set.  But, I didn't know that at the time.

3000hz crossover, one inch voice coil high frequency driver, all equals music store PA.
1" voice coil horn, yeah, that's what they sounded like.  Just an amazingly low amount of usable output from 6 speakers :(  Interestingly enough, the rest of their system was well put together.  I saw what I think was an X32 Rack on each side of the stage being driven by an X32 out front.  But those Mackies were a great example of the wrong tool for the job and also how more is not always better.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »

Eh, you just have to feel the guy out. If he seems like he wants to please everyone and he is just ignorant, I'll be happy to teach them better ways to deploy. Like for that rig I might have stacked two tops with the upper one flipped upside down. Horn to horn and straight ahead so you get the least amount of bad things happening. Then use the third one for a front fill.

But if the guy is a know-it-all and will clearly get offended, I just do my job, collect my check and go home. Not much you can do in those situations.

I have a few times turned speakers off or down when I knew they were just going to cause trouble. I did this without the provider knowing about it, and they typically don't catch on and just wonder at my abilities to make their PA sound so good! lol.....

That's what Robert Scovil did on a Def Leppard festival performance somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere - he had the local crew unplug every other speaker (the ones that were "jumpered" to another speaker receiving power) and it helped clean up the big comb filter from the mostly flat-packed PA.  The system engineer commented that DL's set was the best sounding of the fest.  Scovi had the hands restore the PA after the set.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »

That's what Robert Scovil did on a Def Leppard festival performance somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere - he had the local crew unplug every other speaker (the ones that were "jumpered" to another speaker receiving power) and it helped clean up the big comb filter from the mostly flat-packed PA.  The system engineer commented that DL's set was the best sounding of the fest.  Scovi had the hands restore the PA after the set.

Something, something, standing on the shoulders of giants.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »

Something, something, standing on the shoulders of giants.....
Attributed to Sir Isaac Newton:  "if i have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" in a letter to Robert Hooke in 1676.  Research shows this concept is likely from the 12 Century and originated with John of Salisbury.

More than you needed to know....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 02:25:28 AM »

I was going to start a new thread on this due to an issue I had this weekend with my AC MEsh, but I think I ran afoul of the uplink connectivity monitor. Will reconfigure and test.

Left the house with a working WLAN that no longer broadcast SSID when not connected to the home router.

Unless I'm missing something, you'll need to use the full UniFi desktop software to configure the AP, because it's the only way to disable "Uplink Connectivity Monitor". This is a setting that makes the AP stop broadcasting if it can't ping its default gateway, which is definitely not something you want to happen on a show network (especially since they typically don't have or need gateways).

"Best practices" says to separate, but sharing is commonly (and successfully) done. If you're only using 5GHz Wi-Fi I'd be surprised if the IEM antenna operating several octaves away is going to cause any meaningful desense.

-Russ
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 02:25:28 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.