ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding Ubiquiti AC MESH AP To Band's Airport Extreme Network  (Read 12451 times)

John Schalk

After reading lots of threads here about using a real wireless access point I decided to try adding a UniFi Mesh UAP-AC-M to our network.  Currently we use an Airport Extreme, which is an upgrade from our old Airport Express.  Also, we recently added an M32 core to our headamp rack, so my goal was to eventually configure two independent networks, one being the current Airport Extreme, and the other one using our old Express to issue the IP addresses.

I started out trying to configure the Mesh AP with it plugged into the Express (no internet.)  This was a bad idea.  In something like 25 rounds of plug this here, restart that there, I only got the Mesh AP to be discovered in the UniFi mobile app once.  After several frustrating hours of this, I had a thought to plug the Mesh AP into my home network and Voila, the UniFi app found it right away.  I updated the firmware and configured the SSID and password for 2G and 5G to match the band's current network.

Next, I hauled everything downstairs to plug it into my Si Performer to see if I had actual connectivity to the console.  I was hoping that the WAN port on the Express would also act as a LAN port, but I could not "talk" to my Performer.  I tried using the WAN port for the console and for the Mesh AP, but without any success.  I gave up and went to happy hour to listen to some live music.

This morning I hauled out my ancient Linksys WRT54GL, plugged the Mesh AP into one LAN port, powered everything up including the console, then plugged in the console to another LAN Port and bam, it worked.  I left the Linksys 2G network up because it's broadcasting a different SSID, and my iPad was connected to my band's SSID, so I'm confident that signal was passing through the new AP.

We have a show on an outdoor festival stage tonight, so I was hoping to use the new AP,  but I'm not sure how much change I want to introduce.  Can I try plugging the UniFi AP into a LAN port on our Extreme while leaving the wireless active on the airport?  I am planning to use a 50' ethernet cable to located the UniFi AP as far downstage as possible, so there will be some separation between it and the airport. 

For future planning, can the UniFi AP share a mic stand with our Sennheiser In Ear antenna or do I need to separate the two?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope my newbie experiences may be helpful to others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Adding Ubiquiti AC MESH AP To Band's Airport Extreme Network
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:46:12 AM »

After reading lots of threads here about using a real wireless access point I decided to try adding a UniFi Mesh UAP-AC-M to our network.  Currently we use an Airport Extreme, which is an upgrade from our old Airport Express.  Also, we recently added an M32 core to our headamp rack, so my goal was to eventually configure two independent networks, one being the current Airport Extreme, and the other one using our old Express to issue the IP addresses.

I started out trying to configure the Mesh AP with it plugged into the Express (no internet.)  This was a bad idea.  In something like 25 rounds of plug this here, restart that there, I only got the Mesh AP to be discovered in the UniFi mobile app once.  After several frustrating hours of this, I had a thought to plug the Mesh AP into my home network and Voila, the UniFi app found it right away.  I updated the firmware and configured the SSID and password for 2G and 5G to match the band's current network.

Next, I hauled everything downstairs to plug it into my Si Performer to see if I had actual connectivity to the console.  I was hoping that the WAN port on the Express would also act as a LAN port, but I could not "talk" to my Performer.  I tried using the WAN port for the console and for the Mesh AP, but without any success.  I gave up and went to happy hour to listen to some live music.

This morning I hauled out my ancient Linksys WRT54GL, plugged the Mesh AP into one LAN port, powered everything up including the console, then plugged in the console to another LAN Port and bam, it worked.  I left the Linksys 2G network up because it's broadcasting a different SSID, and my iPad was connected to my band's SSID, so I'm confident that signal was passing through the new AP.

We have a show on an outdoor festival stage tonight, so I was hoping to use the new AP,  but I'm not sure how much change I want to introduce.  Can I try plugging the UniFi AP into a LAN port on our Extreme while leaving the wireless active on the airport?  I am planning to use a 50' ethernet cable to located the UniFi AP as far downstage as possible, so there will be some separation between it and the airport. 

For future planning, can the UniFi AP share a mic stand with our Sennheiser In Ear antenna or do I need to separate the two?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope my newbie experiences may be helpful to others

You only had one issue that the Apple's ports are not in the same network.  As you noted one is LAN and the other WAN.  You have everything setup right.  You can get a little four port switch and plug the Uqiquity, Apple and Console into it and be good to go.  You can use that Linksys as a switch ans just turn the radio off.  Your choice.  Just make sure you only have one DHCP server running on each network.

If the Uqiquity is 802.3af PoE compliant you can get rid of the power injector if you get a PoE switch.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

You only had one issue that the Apple's ports are not in the same network.  As you noted one is LAN and the other WAN.  You have everything setup right.  You can get a little four port switch and plug the Uqiquity, Apple and Console into it and be good to go.  You can use that Linksys as a switch ans just turn the radio off.  Your choice.  Just make sure you only have one DHCP server running on each network.

If the Uqiquity is 802.3af PoE compliant you can get rid of the power injector if you get a PoE switch.

Thanks Scott.  I like the idea of still using the Airport Express as the DHCP server since it's so small and they make wall mount brackets for them, which may be useful for racking it up.  I will do some research on PoE switches to see if I can find a small one. 

Can you comment on it's okay to continue using the "radio" on the Airports along with the UniFi AP (same SSID)?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »

[...] I only got the Mesh AP to be discovered in the UniFi mobile app once.

Unless I'm missing something, you'll need to use the full UniFi desktop software to configure the AP, because it's the only way to disable "Uplink Connectivity Monitor". This is a setting that makes the AP stop broadcasting if it can't ping its default gateway, which is definitely not something you want to happen on a show network (especially since they typically don't have or need gateways).

Forr future planning, can the UniFi AP share a mic stand with our Sennheiser In Ear antenna or do I need to separate the two?

"Best practices" says to separate, but sharing is commonly (and successfully) done. If you're only using 5GHz Wi-Fi I'd be surprised if the IEM antenna operating several octaves away is going to cause any meaningful desense.

-Russ

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »

"Best practices" says to separate, but sharing is commonly (and successfully) done. If you're only using 5GHz Wi-Fi I'd be surprised if the IEM antenna operating several octaves away is going to cause any meaningful desense.

-Russ

Yes. I did it for 3 years on tour. No problems. Had the downstage fin and a Nanostation M5 on the same mic stand.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Schalk

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, you'll need to use the full UniFi desktop software to configure the AP, because it's the only way to disable "Uplink Connectivity Monitor". This is a setting that makes the AP stop broadcasting if it can't ping its default gateway, which is definitely not something you want to happen on a show network (especially since they typically don't have or need gateways).

I pulled up the UniFi Network app and you're right, I cannot find a config option for the connectivity monitor setting.  Their installation instructions specifically state that you can configure and use the AP without a controller if your network is small, but they don't cover this particular point.

Does this mean that I should disable the 2.4GHz "radio" in the UniFi AP if I plan to co-locate my new WAP with our In Ear paddle?  This won't be an issue tonight as I'm going to use separate mic stands and the two will be at least 20' apart.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 06:47:16 PM »

I pulled up the UniFi Network app and you're right, I cannot find a config option for the connectivity monitor setting.  Their installation instructions specifically state that you can configure and use the AP without a controller if your network is small, but they don't cover this particular point.

Well, that's a typo; it should read "if your network is small and being used in a typical SOHO setup". :P

Does this mean that I should disable the 2.4GHz "radio" in the UniFi AP if I plan to co-locate my new WAP with our In Ear paddle?  This won't be an issue tonight as I'm going to use separate mic stands and the two will be at least 20' apart.

For me, I only use 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks for shows. Between its limited bandwidth and its ubiquity in audience-held devices, I trust 2.4 GHz to survive sound check and then fail when the house opens. That being said, I'd be a little surprised if being co-located with an IEM antenna would cause serious issues to a 2.4 GHz AP, but the only way to know for sure would be to try it.

-Russ

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »

John, we have been using the UniFi Mesh for a couple of years now.  I think it was in March of this year that I reconfigured our and that I couldn't get the app to work on my windows laptop and I wound up using the configuration utility on-line.  It work great.  We use several all with an Apple Air Port Express to hand out the IP addresses.

I would definitely put some distance between my wireless IEM/Mic antenna and the Ubiquity.  Often we will mount our Ubiquity up in the front truss.  We use a Cisco switch with PoE to power them.  Much better than using the inverter in my opinion.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 09:19:17 PM »

I would definitely put some distance between my wireless IEM/Mic antenna and the Ubiquity.  Often we will mount our Ubiquity up in the front truss.

While I agree that you should always keep your microphone RX antennas and your AP separated, separation from and IEM TX antenna seems much less critical to me. I'd be very surprised to see a 500 MHz IEM transmission interfere meaningfully with a 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal.

-Russ

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »

I defer to others here regarding the viability of co-locating your WAP and in-ear paddle but I believe it would be best turn off any unused radios (either 2.4 or 5GHz in the new AP and old AirportExpress) so that those devices do not incur the processing load of having to respond to probe requests.
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.