Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Adding Ubiquiti AC MESH AP To Band's Airport Extreme Network

<< < (2/4) > >>

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on July 13, 2019, 01:18:01 PM ---Unless I'm missing something, you'll need to use the full UniFi desktop software to configure the AP, because it's the only way to disable "Uplink Connectivity Monitor". This is a setting that makes the AP stop broadcasting if it can't ping its default gateway, which is definitely not something you want to happen on a show network (especially since they typically don't have or need gateways).
--- End quote ---

I pulled up the UniFi Network app and you're right, I cannot find a config option for the connectivity monitor setting.  Their installation instructions specifically state that you can configure and use the AP without a controller if your network is small, but they don't cover this particular point.

--- Quote ---"Best practices" says to separate, but sharing is commonly (and successfully) done. If you're only using 5GHz Wi-Fi I'd be surprised if the IEM antenna operating several octaves away is going to cause any meaningful desense.

--- End quote ---

Does this mean that I should disable the 2.4GHz "radio" in the UniFi AP if I plan to co-locate my new WAP with our In Ear paddle?  This won't be an issue tonight as I'm going to use separate mic stands and the two will be at least 20' apart.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: John Schalk on July 13, 2019, 02:40:46 PM ---I pulled up the UniFi Network app and you're right, I cannot find a config option for the connectivity monitor setting.  Their installation instructions specifically state that you can configure and use the AP without a controller if your network is small, but they don't cover this particular point.

--- End quote ---

Well, that's a typo; it should read "if your network is small and being used in a typical SOHO setup". :P

--- Quote from: John Schalk on July 13, 2019, 02:40:46 PM ---Does this mean that I should disable the 2.4GHz "radio" in the UniFi AP if I plan to co-locate my new WAP with our In Ear paddle?  This won't be an issue tonight as I'm going to use separate mic stands and the two will be at least 20' apart.

--- End quote ---

For me, I only use 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks for shows. Between its limited bandwidth and its ubiquity in audience-held devices, I trust 2.4 GHz to survive sound check and then fail when the house opens. That being said, I'd be a little surprised if being co-located with an IEM antenna would cause serious issues to a 2.4 GHz AP, but the only way to know for sure would be to try it.

-Russ

William Schnake:

--- Quote from: John Schalk on July 13, 2019, 02:40:46 PM ---I pulled up the UniFi Network app and you're right, I cannot find a config option for the connectivity monitor setting.  Their installation instructions specifically state that you can configure and use the AP without a controller if your network is small, but they don't cover this particular point.

Does this mean that I should disable the 2.4GHz "radio" in the UniFi AP if I plan to co-locate my new WAP with our In Ear paddle?  This won't be an issue tonight as I'm going to use separate mic stands and the two will be at least 20' apart.

--- End quote ---

John, we have been using the UniFi Mesh for a couple of years now.  I think it was in March of this year that I reconfigured our and that I couldn't get the app to work on my windows laptop and I wound up using the configuration utility on-line.  It work great.  We use several all with an Apple Air Port Express to hand out the IP addresses.

I would definitely put some distance between my wireless IEM/Mic antenna and the Ubiquity.  Often we will mount our Ubiquity up in the front truss.  We use a Cisco switch with PoE to power them.  Much better than using the inverter in my opinion.

Bill

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: William Schnake on July 13, 2019, 06:56:50 PM ---I would definitely put some distance between my wireless IEM/Mic antenna and the Ubiquity.  Often we will mount our Ubiquity up in the front truss.

--- End quote ---

While I agree that you should always keep your microphone RX antennas and your AP separated, separation from and IEM TX antenna seems much less critical to me. I'd be very surprised to see a 500 MHz IEM transmission interfere meaningfully with a 5 GHz Wi-Fi signal.

-Russ

dave briar:

--- Quote from: John Schalk on July 13, 2019, 02:40:46 PM ---Does this mean that I should disable the 2.4GHz "radio" in the UniFi AP if I plan to co-locate my new WAP with our In Ear paddle?  This won't be an issue tonight as I'm going to use separate mic stands and the two will be at least 20' apart.

--- End quote ---
I defer to others here regarding the viability of co-locating your WAP and in-ear paddle but I believe it would be best turn off any unused radios (either 2.4 or 5GHz in the new AP and old AirportExpress) so that those devices do not incur the processing load of having to respond to probe requests.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version