Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Adding Ubiquiti AC MESH AP To Band's Airport Extreme Network

<< < (4/4)

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on July 15, 2019, 04:03:31 PM ---Eh, you just have to feel the guy out. If he seems like he wants to please everyone and he is just ignorant, I'll be happy to teach them better ways to deploy. Like for that rig I might have stacked two tops with the upper one flipped upside down. Horn to horn and straight ahead so you get the least amount of bad things happening. Then use the third one for a front fill.

But if the guy is a know-it-all and will clearly get offended, I just do my job, collect my check and go home. Not much you can do in those situations.

I have a few times turned speakers off or down when I knew they were just going to cause trouble. I did this without the provider knowing about it, and they typically don't catch on and just wonder at my abilities to make their PA sound so good! lol.....

--- End quote ---

That's what Robert Scovil did on a Def Leppard festival performance somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere - he had the local crew unplug every other speaker (the ones that were "jumpered" to another speaker receiving power) and it helped clean up the big comb filter from the mostly flat-packed PA.  The system engineer commented that DL's set was the best sounding of the fest.  Scovi had the hands restore the PA after the set.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on July 16, 2019, 10:02:42 AM ---That's what Robert Scovil did on a Def Leppard festival performance somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere - he had the local crew unplug every other speaker (the ones that were "jumpered" to another speaker receiving power) and it helped clean up the big comb filter from the mostly flat-packed PA.  The system engineer commented that DL's set was the best sounding of the fest.  Scovi had the hands restore the PA after the set.

--- End quote ---

Something, something, standing on the shoulders of giants.....

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on July 16, 2019, 03:02:47 PM ---Something, something, standing on the shoulders of giants.....

--- End quote ---
Attributed to Sir Isaac Newton:  "if i have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" in a letter to Robert Hooke in 1676.  Research shows this concept is likely from the 12 Century and originated with John of Salisbury.

More than you needed to know....

Tim Hite:
I was going to start a new thread on this due to an issue I had this weekend with my AC MEsh, but I think I ran afoul of the uplink connectivity monitor. Will reconfigure and test.

Left the house with a working WLAN that no longer broadcast SSID when not connected to the home router.

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on July 13, 2019, 01:18:01 PM ---Unless I'm missing something, you'll need to use the full UniFi desktop software to configure the AP, because it's the only way to disable "Uplink Connectivity Monitor". This is a setting that makes the AP stop broadcasting if it can't ping its default gateway, which is definitely not something you want to happen on a show network (especially since they typically don't have or need gateways).

"Best practices" says to separate, but sharing is commonly (and successfully) done. If you're only using 5GHz Wi-Fi I'd be surprised if the IEM antenna operating several octaves away is going to cause any meaningful desense.

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version