ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TinySA settings and workflows  (Read 1931 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: TinySA settings and workflows
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 03:13:06 AM »

What was it mapped to before?  How could it have talked to the SA if the com port wasn't mapped?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 08:16:38 AM »

What was it mapped to before?  How could it have talked to the SA if the com port wasn't mapped?

Scott, I had been using my TinySA as a standalone scanner and transferring data to my Mac using the TinySA's included micro SD Card.  To my knowledge there is no native MacOS software for the TinySA except for a few free Perl-based apps that are a PITA to install.   

I was able to get TinySA's native Windows app to work on MacOS using Wine which is a compatibility layer that presents Windows system interfaces under POSIX compatible OSes such as MacOS.

By default Wine has no COM ports configured, it is a manual process to map COM ports to UNIX devices.

Unfortunately the same Wine COM PORT hack did not work with the "VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser for TinySA" shared by Diogo in this thread.

I hope this is more clear. Sorry for the confusion.
Mark McFarlane

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 08:20:37 AM »

I was just curious, makes perfect sense

Wine is not a virtualized or even a paravirtualizer.  The apps run right next to native apps?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 08:30:21 AM »

I was just curious, makes perfect sense

Wine is not a virtualized or even a paravirtualizer.  The apps run right next to native apps?

That is correct Scott. You install Wine from WineHQ.org.  Then you can right click on an .exe file and select "Open with > Wine".  Opening the app under Wine is slowish.

I don't have any other experience with Wine, I just rediscovered it while trying to get some kind of MacOS app support for the TinySA Ultra so I could do wider single-pass scans with lots of data.  The TinySA Ultra will only export 450 data points to its CD card. I think the non-ultra version uses an even smaller data set. 

The TinySA Ultra apparently does a scan point every RBW/2 kHz, but it can only export 450 data points to SD data card.  Using an app allows you to save all of the scan points.

Mark McFarlane

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2023, 03:04:38 PM »

{...} Wine is not a virtualized or even a paravirtualizer.  The apps run right next to native apps?

Strictly speaking Wine is a compatibility layer, translating Windows API calls into POSIX API calls (as well as recreating the standard Windows directory structure, providing alternate FOSS versions of the standard Windows libraries, etc.). This theoretically combines the performances advantages of native execution (or, at least, running without virtualisation) with the ease-of-use advantages of working with existing binaries (vitally important given the closed-source nature of a lot of Windows-targeted software), but at the cost of your-mileage-may-greatly-vary real-word functionality (i.e. some Windows software—particularly simpler or older titles—will run perfectly under Wine, while some won't even start; there's even some very old Windows software that actually runs better under Wine than on Windows 10 or 11).

It's not something I'd use in mission-critical (or audience-facing) applications, but when it works it can work very well (and the community has done a pretty good job maintaining a database of what software works and to what extent).

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 02:23:40 AM »

Strictly speaking Wine is a compatibility layer, translating Windows API calls into POSIX API calls (as well as recreating the standard Windows directory structure, providing alternate FOSS versions of the standard Windows libraries, etc.). This theoretically combines the performances advantages of native execution (or, at least, running without virtualisation) with the ease-of-use advantages of working with existing binaries (vitally important given the closed-source nature of a lot of Windows-targeted software), but at the cost of your-mileage-may-greatly-vary real-word functionality (i.e. some Windows software—particularly simpler or older titles—will run perfectly under Wine, while some won't even start; there's even some very old Windows software that actually runs better under Wine than on Windows 10 or 11).

It's not something I'd use in mission-critical (or audience-facing) applications, but when it works it can work very well (and the community has done a pretty good job maintaining a database of what software works and to what extent).

-Russ

Ah ok it's a thunker.  MS built one to translate 16 to 32 bit calls in NT and invented the term thunking. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 02:23:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.