ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ui24R Question  (Read 5818 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Ui24R Question
« on: July 12, 2019, 01:06:09 PM »

I'm thinking about getting a Soundcraft Ui24R. I noticed one of the antennas is on the side and will get buried if I mount the unit in a rack.

Will this cause any reception issues?
Any tips on getting the best reception with few/minimal dropouts?

Thanks

Taylor Hall

Re: Ui24R Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »

General consensus with any of these mixers with built in wi-fi is to not even bother with it. Connect it to an actual wireless router via ethernet and use that instead. Way better signal strength and more security to keep people off your network.

There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Greg Harwood

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »

I've used both the built in Wi-Fi and an external wireless router.  The only time I used the internal Wi-Fi router I had it drop out a couple of times (this was even with using a larger, stronger antenna).  Signal was good so not sure what the issue was.  It didn't take long to get back going, but it was a little frustrating.  I've never had any connection issues with my external wi-fi router.

Great mixer btw.
Greg H.

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »

Forget the internal wifi. It's a great mixer, but you need an external router (access point). There is a great download for how to set it all up on the Ui24 Facebook page.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »

General consensus with any of these mixers with built in wi-fi is to not even bother with it. Connect it to an actual wireless router via ethernet and use that instead. Way better signal strength and more security to keep people off your network.
My experience as well.
..db

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 02:32:37 PM »

Is there a router with BNC antenna connectors so I can mount them remotely? Like on a 1 space blank plate in the rack, while leaving the router itself inside the rack?

I thought it might make set up a little faster and less chance of something getting damaged.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »

Is there a router with BNC antenna connectors so I can mount them remotely? Like on a 1 space blank plate in the rack, while leaving the router itself inside the rack?

I thought it might make set up a little faster and less chance of something getting damaged.
They exist, but you'd have an easier time (and more cost effective) getting anything off the shelf and using an SMA to BNC adapter.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:01 AM »

What you want to do is get an access point that uses PoE (power over Ethernet)  you just run one wire and mount the radio on a mic stand or a light stand so you can get line of sight.  The loss of signal over the coax can be eliminated with this setup.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 03:07:51 AM »

What you want to do is get an access point that uses PoE (power over Ethernet)  you just run one wire and mount the radio on a mic stand or a light stand so you can get line of sight.  The loss of signal over the coax can be eliminated with this setup.

This is what I did.

I had a Ubiquity NanoStation M5 which was gaffed to my downstage wireless antenna stand. The M5 was connected by a single cat5 cable running back to the IEM rack. I also had a Linksys router in the rack which handled DHCP and security. The Nanostation is simply an access point. It doesn't do any of the magic innernet stuffs. I will say, it flat out would squash most other wifi in it's coverage angle. I very rarely had any connection problems if I was in the pattern of the nanostation.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Slater

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 08:20:46 AM »

I use an outboard router for me for front of house mixing, and leave the onboard WiFi turned on for anyone in the band who wants to control their own mix, and also as a backup for myself if the main router goes down for any reason.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:33:04 AM by Scott Slater »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 08:20:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.