ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Keys, is it just me?  (Read 7302 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Stereo Keys, is it just me?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »

Our indoor venue is acoustically complex and there’s really no way we can run stereo effectively. Keyboard players commonly ask which I prefer they give me and after I explain our reality I can’t remember a single time it was a problem running mono. Now whether in a few of those instances they actually gave me left or right rather than a true summed mono I can’t say. We always make it work.
..db

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »

I have never understood keys players wanting stereo output in a live performance, especially outdoors where the people on the far left have no chance of hearing what is coming from the speaker on the right. It seems there is a very small “sweet spot” for stereo yet I continually get keyboard players wanting their instrument panned hard left and right.

Is it just me, am I wrong about this?

I would much rather open up the sound field than deal with a keyboard player with a Roland amp facing the audience cranked up to 11. 

"gotta get my tone man" I have heard that way too many times.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

duane massey

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 12:57:56 AM »

As a keyboardist I have to chime in. I always give FOH a mono send. Period. In most gigs I provide a mix with both keyboards and trumpet mic. I don't use any exotic patches with stereo effects, I don't expect the FOH to balance my levels UNLESS he wants to. I recently played a show using 4 keyboards, and I played all four extensively. This is unusual, as I normally use just 2. I don't want a big monitor on stage, and I definitely do not want stereo wedges. I don't use IEM's, unless I can set my own mix. Studio, totally different animal. Stereo keys, exotic effects, even surround stuff. Sometimes I think we just do stuff because we can.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 03:03:10 AM »

Now that's funny right there.  Sounds like some guitar players I know....bring 5 guitars and play one.

Y'all must be in some wierd timeslip area of PA. For the last decade of on and off touring I rarely see mono pa. Usually only when the venue is wierdly shaped and covered in multiple zones. Stereo is the standard down here. Maybe one in 15 or 20 rigs is run in mono "cuz that's better".

Nah, give me stereo any day. I decide if I want to pan stuff or not.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »

Nah, give me stereo any day. I decide if I want to pan stuff or not.

My rigs are all stereo, but more to accommodate asymmetrical rooms than to pan stuff.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim Halligan

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »

The other advantage of taking them in stereo is that if one cable/DI/mic pre happens to fail during the performance, you still have a backup.

Damn right.

I've had this happen to me on a job, so I'll always take stereo if the input count allows for it.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »

Small gig last night with mic'ed keys amp (stage right) and guitar amp (stage left).
I panned each mostly to the opposite side in the PA to balance the mix for both sides of the audience.
Stereo has it's uses.  Also, just because it's there, you don't have to use it.  It's another tool.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »

This may not be completely on topic but it makes an interesting object lesson about mono compatibility.

Several months ago I received a frantic phone call out of the blue from an old friend I worked with decades ago at Peavey (I bet JR knows  ;D ).

He was at an impasse trying to get decent sound out of a convention center's mega sound system. They had a big dog console, and plenty of watts and cabinets, but the union staff threatened him with physical violence if he went anywhere near the "console". They only gave him a mini cable to plug into. (No I do not have specific details beyond that.)

His dilemma was that his fancy prerecorded audio-visual presentation, recorded in glorious stereo, got completely squashed/trashed when fed into the big dog convention center sound system.   

I am sure it sounded absolutely glorious over his production studio monitors, and further suspect almost anybody here reading this post could have got it sorted in minutes given access to the system (probably including him). The advice I gave him that got him through his presentation was to send either left only or right only to the big system and live with that.

I advised him about mono compatibility for future mixes, but probably didn't even need to tell him that. Life already gave him that lesson, after giving him the test.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »

Left-Right-Sub=More options/more control

Front fills in needed

Xiang Cao

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »

for IEM and recording purpose

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.