ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown (to me) internal switch on power amp. What is it?  (Read 14898 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: Unknown (to me) internal switch on power amp. What is it?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:21 AM »

NO.

As you turn the level up the voltage of the signal everywhere after it goes up.

What "voltage" were you referring to that "stays constant"?  The only thing that stays constant is the power supply voltages in the units.

What makes you feel you aren't getting the power you think you are?

Music is VERY dynamic and in many/most cases the voltages you read across the speaker are less than 1/10th of the peak voltages going to the speaker.

So with 500 watt peaks, you "average level" could easily be in the 25 watt or less range.

I learned how the sensitivity switch on amps work when mucking about with some older gear....   I had a small mixer connected to an amp to a loudspeaker.  The mixer was at the bleeding edge of clipping.  The amp was no where near.  The amp was appropriately sized to the speaker.  The maximum output voltage of the mixer was not matched to the input sensitivity of the amp.  As such, I was not able to Achieve full tilt boogie because I was unable to provide sufficient input voltage to the amp.   Flipping the switch, adjusting the gain controls a bit, and I was able to provide sufficient voltage to fully take advantage of the amp and speaker.   This was all for fun and not on an actual production system.... But a good learning experience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:08:59 AM »

I learned how the sensitivity switch on amps work when mucking about with some older gear....   I had a small mixer connected to an amp to a loudspeaker.  The mixer was at the bleeding edge of clipping.  The amp was no where near.  The amp was appropriately sized to the speaker.  The maximum output voltage of the mixer was not matched to the input sensitivity of the amp.  As such, I was not able to Achieve full tilt boogie because I was unable to provide sufficient input voltage to the amp.   Flipping the switch, adjusting the gain controls a bit, and I was able to provide sufficient voltage to fully take advantage of the amp and speaker.   This was all for fun and not on an actual production system.... But a good learning experience. 

Most mixer have MORE than enough output to drive amplifiers to full output-unless it was some non pro mixer or the meters were off etc.

When you say you "adjusted the gain controls a bit"-exactly what does that mean?  Where were they before you changed the gain of the amp?  Where were they after?

What mixer?  What amp?  All of these things matter when trying to help somebody.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »

Most mixer have MORE than enough output to drive amplifiers to full output-unless it was some non pro mixer or the meters were off etc.

When you say you "adjusted the gain controls a bit"-exactly what does that mean?  Where were they before you changed the gain of the amp?  Where were they after?

What mixer?  What amp?  All of these things matter when trying to help somebody.

Ivan I don't recall the specific brands.... It was more to illustrate the point on sensitivity.  I had the amp gain maxed in the original scenario, and the mixer (which was also probably from the early 90s or late 80s) couldn't provide sufficient output voltage for the amp.  Flipping the sensitivity switch and then backing the amp gain down a couple clicks, allowed me to bring both the mixer and amp into clip at almost the same time. 

Again this wasn't on a system anyone was going to use, this was a room of old parts and pieces.  It's possible I was doing something else wrong in the above scenario.  I am fully aware that an amp provides a fixed level of amplification of the signal with a maximum output voltage (usually ambiguously specified by some mnftrs, as the amount of time that voltage can be sustained matters) and the gain knobs and sensitivity switches simply attenuate the input voltage before amplification, there by controlling how much input voltage is needed to achieve maximum output voltage. 

Of course, I also may be misunderstanding something here....  It happens, and I find I am always learning something new here.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »

Most mixers are capable of overdriving most amps, BUT the mixer master section output meters will light up like a Tijuana taxi cab 10 dB or more before mixer clipping. If the amp requires a lot of drive voltage the mixer operator may be uncomfortable creaming the mixer meters to get there.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Michael Bartoli

• Southern Wisconsin
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »

I had a small mixer connected to an amp to a loudspeaker.  The mixer was at the bleeding edge of clipping.  The amp was no where near.

The maximum output voltage of the mixer was not matched to the input sensitivity of the amp.  As such, I was not able to Achieve full tilt boogie because I was unable to provide sufficient input voltage to the amp.   Flipping the switch, adjusting the gain controls a bit, and I was able to provide sufficient voltage to fully take advantage of the amp and speaker.   This was all for fun and not on an actual production system.... But a good learning experience. 

This is essentially the issue I may be having. Little headroom via the mixer, but not clipping, even on loud kick drum hits on the amp. Like you were saying, this is just for learning, so every little bit of knowledge helps.

Michael Bartoli

• Southern Wisconsin
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »

NO.

As you turn the level up the voltage of the signal everywhere after it goes up.

What "voltage" were you referring to that "stays constant"?  The only thing that stays constant is the power supply voltages in the units.

What makes you feel you aren't getting the power you think you are?

Music is VERY dynamic and in many/most cases the voltages you read across the speaker are less than 1/10th of the peak voltages going to the speaker.

So with 500 watt peaks, you "average level" could easily be in the 25 watt or less range.

Thank you, Ivan. I have been doing more reading as to what you're saying. Yes, I was very off with my analysis. I was confusing supply voltage with what is actually happening at the output stage. Your guidance is appreciated.

What leads me to believe I'm not getting the wattage I'm hoping for is the fact that I am using this amp strictly for low frequency, which takes more watts to drive and is typically less dynamic (in pre-recorded electronic music) than upper frequency lead synth lines, etc. In my experience, it's a lot of sine waves. I don't think it's hitting as hard as it could be, as my subs are fairly efficient, so the claimed 500 watts I >could< be sending them seems lost somehow.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 11:34:49 AM »

Thank you, Ivan. I have been doing more reading as to what you're saying. Yes, I was very off with my analysis. I was confusing supply voltage with what is actually happening at the output stage. Your guidance is appreciated.

What leads me to believe I'm not getting the wattage I'm hoping for is the fact that I am using this amp strictly for low frequency, which takes more watts to drive and is typically less dynamic (in pre-recorded electronic music) than upper frequency lead synth lines, etc. In my experience, it's a lot of sine waves. I don't think it's hitting as hard as it could be, as my subs are fairly efficient, so the claimed 500 watts I >could< be sending them seems lost somehow.

I think the chances are good that much of the subwoofer's signal is below its reproduction capability and that the consistent application of such signals are heating the woofer's voice coil, raising it's resistance and creating what is called "power compression."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

bradpospisal

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 05:06:39 AM »

I found the service manual and and it appears to be MONO/DUAL switch. Bridge or Stereo.
Go to this link and click download pdf.
Page 58 and zoom in is schematic and block diagragm is page 59

http://elektrotanya.com/ab_international_900a_1100a_922a_9420a.pdf/download.html
7-17-2019 . i dont know how to post so ill try it this way . contact me at [email protected] . i have the same question for the ab 1100a and 900a . i plainly see 1 switch at the input on my 1100a,s and 2 switches in my ab 900a,s . i dont need technical details and i already have the service manual . i wouldnt know how to read them if i had to . all i need to know is what position these switches should be in . im getting barley any sound from my 1100a,s or 900a,s . my 600lx.s work great . im trying to use home preamps . everything from adcom to marantz . ive ordered a cleanbox pro to boost the voltage output from my preamps and probably need a pro mixer . but regardless i need to know what position these switches should be in both stereo and mono .i can not see any switch for changing the input voltage but some of you said there there . i need in simple terms where all these internal switches should be . ive bought them from different sellers and all the internal switches i can plainly see are in different positions . thanks for any help .

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 09:10:29 AM »

7-17-2019 . i dont know how to post so ill try it this way . contact me at [email protected] . i have the same question for the ab 1100a and 900a . i plainly see 1 switch at the input on my 1100a,s and 2 switches in my ab 900a,s . i dont need technical details and i already have the service manual . i wouldnt know how to read them if i had to . all i need to know is what position these switches should be in . im getting barley any sound from my 1100a,s or 900a,s . my 600lx.s work great . im trying to use home preamps . everything from adcom to marantz . ive ordered a cleanbox pro to boost the voltage output from my preamps and probably need a pro mixer . but regardless i need to know what position these switches should be in both stereo and mono .i can not see any switch for changing the input voltage but some of you said there there . i need in simple terms where all these internal switches should be . ive bought them from different sellers and all the internal switches i can plainly see are in different positions . thanks for any help .

Good luck.  Stu hasn't logged into the forums since Sept 2018.

Mono is "bridged mono."  As for input sensitivity switches on AB International amps... it's been too long since we owned any for me to recall but a search shows it to be 1.7v for full rated output without mention of it being changeable.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 09:10:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.