ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SDI suppliers  (Read 4311 times)

Taylor Hall

SDI suppliers
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:02 AM »

We're starting to supplement our video gear as we've begun to reach the limits of what our ethernet baluns can handle distance-wise so moving the SDI is the next logical step. I'm no stranger to rolling my own cables but making by own SDI cables is new territory as far as sourcing materials goes. Are there any brands/models of cable or connectors to avoid? Not looking to make anything super fancy, just something that plain ol' works with a decent service life.

To me it looks like Belden and Canare are pretty popular on the cable side of things, but for connectors I'm less confident. I guess Amphenol is pretty up there as I've seen them mentioned numerous times around here and elsewhere. Anywho, happy to hear opinions. I'm more than fine with buying in bulk, I'll probably be making somewhere north of 700' worth of cables for an upcoming gig in October.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
Re: SDI suppliers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:16:51 AM »

For 3G-SDI, we use Belden 1855a with Kings 2065-11-9 connectors for short runs/rack wiring. Belden 1505a with Kings 2065-2-9 connectors for longer runs. You need a crimp tool  and the KTH-5003 crimp die, it covers all of these sizes.
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:30:42 AM »

For 3G-SDI, we use Belden 1855a with Kings 2065-11-9 connectors for short runs/rack wiring. Belden 1505a with Kings 2065-2-9 connectors for longer runs. You need a crimp tool  and the KTH-5003 crimp die, it covers all of these sizes.
Cool, most of the runs we'd be doing are 200ft+ and I already have a crimper set so no worries there.
1) Do it right

Brian Hancock

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 02:06:14 PM »

Cool, most of the runs we'd be doing are 200ft+ and I already have a crimper set so no worries there.

Lable cables in some way ... we use some clear shrink tube and labels... pretty standard ... I like the boots but some shrink is more affordable

Belden, gepco are probably what you will find on 90% of broadcast trucks not to say others don't make good cables ... link USA, the afore mentioned canare, west penn etc ... there is usually also a flex model that can be nice for certain applications

I'd stick with 3 piece connectors and stay away from compression ends similar to f connectors ... just makes a more solid connection with the cable I feel

Most manufacturers can spec a connector for you that works with their cable but second the 2-9, 1505a I've seen plenty of those little plastic bags riding around on trucks too

And go grab a bag of 100 barrels... be prepared to wash a few in the laundry too ;-)

Kevin J Williams

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »

I use West Penn #6350 with Belden DB6BNCU double bubble connectors.

Also, you might want to make sure your crimper will work with whatever you end up buying. I had to buy a new one when I started making SDI cables.

Kevin

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »

Also, you might want to make sure your crimper will work with whatever you end up buying. I had to buy a new one when I started making SDI cables.

Kevin

I like 6350 for install but it’s a bit stiff for applications where it’s in and out of trunks.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »

Kevin
Yeah I've got crimper sets for standard and compression-fit ends. I prescribed to the buy once cry once mentality and got one with multiple die sets so I can do pretty much anything from coax to teensy automotive pinouts. The latter came it quite handy when repairing a wiring harness in a friend's car that got attacked by a nest of squirrels.
1) Do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.