ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Choosing Amps  (Read 5438 times)

John Noah

Need Help Choosing Amps
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:59:22 PM »

Deciding possibly on getting some JTR 3tx splayed 2 per side and I'm looking at options for amps. DSP is not a requirement (I have a drive rack already) but if it does, then fine. Lightweight is not a requirement either since it will stay put. I've had my eye on some itechs, but in the venue I do sound at, they are beginning to have some reliability problems (2 of 6 in 4 years), while all 10 of the MA's all play fine still. Just need something reliable.

Thanks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Need Help Choosing Amps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »

Deciding possibly on getting some JTR 3tx splayed 2 per side and I'm looking at options for amps. DSP is not a requirement (I have a drive rack already) but if it does, then fine. Lightweight is not a requirement either since it will stay put. I've had my eye on some itechs, but in the venue I do sound at, they are beginning to have some reliability problems (2 of 6 in 4 years), while all 10 of the MA's all play fine still. Just need something reliable.

Thanks

QSC PLD, Crest Pro200 are both lower cost options. 
I'd look at Powersoft's newer T series first.  Plus they have nicer DSP so you don't need the DriveRack.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

Thanks

4 or 8 ohm versions?

You'll want quite a bit of voltage swing.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Noah

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »

4ohm

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »

I am running the Crown MA5000I with the 3TX, have been for a couple years now and it seems to be a good fit. I really don't do enough shows with this system each year to attest to the reliability, but so far so good. I went 4ohm with the 3TX also, wish I had went 8ohm so if I were running two speakers in parallel I could maintain 4ohm and use the same amp. 

I agree with Caleb that the Powersoft T series seems like one to look at also. The T602 in particular. I would look at the Powersoft K3 also, it gets a lot of good reviews from users.

MikeHarris

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »

10 year Lab warranty

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »

I powered mine with an iTech 8000 (2100w per channel @ 8 ohms) and an xti 4002 (650w per channel @ 8 ohms).
I'd say the iTech was just right and the XTI was just slightly underpowered.

Jeff rates them at 800w RMS (Cont?) 3200w peak.

Given that, you'll want ~1600w (each) for program power to utilize them well.

T602
K6
Linea research 44M20
PLD 4.5
PL380

Come to mind.
Buy though Mike Pyle or one of the other dealers on the forum here.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Kevin J Williams

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »

I used Crown for years but switched a couple of years ago to Lab Gruppen "D" series with Lake processors. They also have Dante and AES inputs and just sound fantastic!

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »

At higher impedances, a T604 and T602 offer very similar output power. If you run the 4-channel amp, that opens up options for processing each cabinet individually, or running more cabinets from one amplifier.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.