ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey USB-P issues  (Read 10840 times)

Jon Roelfs

Peavey USB-P issues
« on: July 08, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »

I have a Peavey USB-P and the USB connector is very loose. The cable falls out far enough to cause the device to disconnect. The cable pulls out almost 3/16" just from the weight of the cable. I purchased this brand new from an authorized retailer and am now waiting on my third replacement to resolve this. I tried four different USB cables with the same results. They are all different brands and ages. Is there a magical USB cable that works and stays connected to this thing? Covering it in gaff tape is not the solution I am after.

Paul Miller

Re: Peavey USB-P issues
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:58:58 AM »

Jon I realize this won't help your situation, but the two USB-Ps that I've encountered have not had any trouble keeping a standard USB-B connector snugly in place. I have mostly higher-quality Belkin USB cables but a generic hasn't posed a problem either.

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »

Jon I realize this won't help your situation, but the two USB-Ps that I've encountered have not had any trouble keeping a standard USB-B connector snugly in place. I have mostly higher-quality Belkin USB cables but a generic hasn't posed a problem either.
The Belkin cable I have reads "Belkin Pro Series USB Shielded 2.0 Compliant Cable For Optimum Data Communication". No idea if this is considered high quality or not.

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »

Same issue with the third box.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »

Same issue with the third box.

Odd John.  I too have the Peavey and it's been trouble free from a USB connection standpoint since purchased.  I've used it at least 2 dozen times just in the last couple of months, with all types of USB cables.....Maybe a bad production run of the units?!?!...
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »

I dumped out my entire misc cable box and found one more cable. It's marked "BizLink Technology" and probably came with something I purchased. It fits the best of all the cables I have tried but not snug like other USB devices I have. The DAC functions flawlessly when connected. It's a good upgrade over the 1/8" headphone jack which I'm sure everyone here knows.

No idea if it's a bad production run or not. They were all from the same authorized retailer on the east coast. The item was back ordered for a few weeks between each return. I noticed with other retailers that this is more often back ordered or out of stock also. No clue if this is a supply issue or low production quantity or what. Peavey did confirm once that it would be about 30 days for more to come in. I'm still on the lookout for a good cable that fits snug.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 01:45:02 PM »

I know a while back, there were some that ended up with one or both channels inverted (flipped polarity). Most likely due to poor quality control at the transformer manufacturer; since everything's on a printed circuit board (no internal wires), it's impossible to screw up final assembly.

I have one of those with an inverted channel. When you sum to mono, it cancels.

I identified the inverted channel by playing back a sound, recording it, and comparing the waveform to the original.

Long past warranty; tried emailing Peavey and never got a response; never bothered trying to call. Really, it's the sort of manufacturing defect that should not be subject to warranty, but I didn't have my act together so there's probably not much I can expect from Peavey.

Previous discussion here: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,166398
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:50:54 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »

I've had hit-or-miss success with USB-B connectors in the past as well. When no combination of cables seemed to work I rigged up my own solution using a spare strain relief collar that I pulled up snug against the cable end and then taped the collar to the device (I think it was a USB printer server). Worked fine the rest of the time I owned it, though it also stayed stationary its whole life so YMMV.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »

Same issue with the fourth box. I give up on returning this thing and rigged my own fix. Not a happy customer but life will go on.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »

Get what ya pay for.
Just get a Radial USB-DI. "Buy once, cry once".
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 12:01:20 AM »

Get what ya pay for.
Just get a Radial USB-DI. "Buy once, cry once".

I was thinking the same thing.  This thread has convinced me to just stick with the Radial units.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.  This thread has convinced me to just stick with the Radial units.
I bought 2 and they work just fine and no crying here :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ken Webster

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »

Jon,

It's hard to be certain but, the case pictured on Peaveys website does not appear (to me) to be made of 3 separate panels across the top like yours?
https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/875/117099/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 05:20:25 PM by Ken Webster »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 09:25:30 AM »

I also have two of these that have performed flawlessly for at least 5 years.

Must be bad run of connectors. Always amazes me that a company, maybe Peavey or maybe further upstream, can source from a different manufacturer and there is not a QA sampling from each new batch before its put into production.

I worked in manufacturing for 25 years, 5 of which were in Quality including being the QA Manager of a factory that produced  over $1Million of product a week, and it frustrated the hell out of me that we were not allowed to staff to the level necessary to actually make sure all products were good when they left the factory.

In my career I had many example of situations where  the cost of additional auditors, especially auditors in receiving inspecting incoming components  could have saved us 10x the cost of same auditors in warranty.

Company was too cheap to pay the additional salaries up front , but later had to pay out exponentially greater costs in warranty claims annually that far exceeded the cost of hiring on more inspectors.  Not to mention the hidden cost of poor quality: unquantifiable lost sales.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 09:25:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.