ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering a gig on renewables  (Read 4271 times)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Powering a gig on renewables
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »

Yesterday we ran our stage and sound for a Climate change event in Edinburgh Scotland, the power supplied for us came from a pre charged 50 kWh battery bank along with some solar cells which due to typical cloudy Scottish weather didn't contribute much.
We were running a DbTech DVA mini line array 4 pairs a side along with 4 flown mini subs, 6 1500w DVA subs on the ground, a digital desk 2 4 channel Powersoft Q series, a typical band backline and 4 32 cell LED wash lights.
The supply from the unit was stable and we used about 32% of it's capacity for  about 13 hours including set up time etc.

There was a back up generator but we weren't connected to it or was it inline to us for the gig.

2 main disadvantages I could see were, in this country solar isn't going to recharge this quickly enough to recharge for the next day say for a multi day event, secondly they are very expensive both to buy and hire at present, easily 3 times that of a similar output generator.

Main advantages IMHO are it's quiet, it's a pure sine wave output and there is no local pollution. i also suspect it would cope with bad power factor loads better than a normal generator would ( lampies I'm talking about you ;D)

I think the idea is good and the tech that was with it says he finds them ideal for testing generators as they put a load on the set while doing something useful, which makes me think that if used with an auto start generator in parallel a lot of the voltage fluctuation issues would go away plus the gen set engine would be happier running on a constant load rather than a drastically variable load. Plus at base Iguess you could charge them with renewable energy ready for the next gig.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv49f5tuqg2cfuq/20190706_192628.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6auw3k8esx55kpb/20190706_192837.jpg?dl=0

That looks like a great setup!!  I would definitely love to see more of this as the smell and noise of generators is usually a real nuisance.

Jeff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »

The biggest benefit I see is that these battery/inverter systems can be placed closer to the point of use (noise, odors).  If one of them does it's impression of a Galaxy Note 7, though, I think we'd want some distance....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 01:11:27 PM »

The biggest benefit I see is that these battery/inverter systems can be placed closer to the point of use (noise, odors).  If one of them does it's impression of a Galaxy Note 7, though, I think we'd want some distance....

Mounting this on a wheeled chassis similar to a scissor lift would really help with setup  ;).  Skid mounted as shown could be challenging.
Steve Swaffer

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »

Mounting this on a wheeled chassis similar to a scissor lift would really help with setup  ;).  Skid mounted as shown could be challenging.
According to the company website it weighs nearly 6 tons so towing that around might be interesting, the stage weighs 3 tons for example. I like the idea of recharging them from electric car charging points we're often set up in car parks and the like where charge points aren't that far away.
I think that a Bio fueled generator perhaps a size down from the normal one and one of these running in parallel is about as clean as site power is getting any time soon.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »

To give an idea of what's possible, the (now 4 year old) battery in my car is nominally 85 kWh and weighs ~1500 lbs. It could power an event with an AVERAGE consumption of 4 kW for 16 hours without breaking a sweat. Purpose-built in reasonable quantity I would expect the cost to be comparable to that of a 20 kVA diesel generator, which is about the size you would rent for a 4 kW average event.

Another advantage is that a battery pack could supply low-power loads, such as security lights and mobile device battery chargers, during standby portions of the event without noise, stink, and potential for wet stacking.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »

To give an idea of what's possible, the (now 4 year old) battery in my car is nominally 85 kWh and weighs ~1500 lbs. It could power an event with an AVERAGE consumption of 4 kW for 16 hours without breaking a sweat. Purpose-built in reasonable quantity I would expect the cost to be comparable to that of a 20 kVA diesel generator, which is about the size you would rent for a 4 kW average event.

Another advantage is that a battery pack could supply low-power loads, such as security lights and mobile device battery chargers, during standby portions of the event without noise, stink, and potential for wet stacking.

--Frank

Actually re-reading the suppliers website it seems it was the smaller of the 2 units (a mere 3 tons in weight) we had, so it appears we nominally used about 16 kWh over 13 hours so yes your Tesla could have done the gig, you'll just have to supply the connectors.  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:55:09 PM by gordonmcgregor »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »

This thread reminded me of this recent article about a portable solar scam.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-berkshire-hathaway-dc-solar-tax-credits-20190604-story.html
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-berkshire-hathaway-dc-solar-tax-credits-20190604-story.html
There's always a greedy bastard who spoils it for everyone else

John Lackner

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »

I wonder where the confiscated and auctioned generators went.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »

I wonder where the confiscated and auctioned generators went.

My first thought, too  :P
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.