ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Impact - Behringer X-32  (Read 4796 times)

Renard Hurtado

Soundcraft Impact - Behringer X-32
« on: July 07, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »

Hi All,

The price difference between these two consoles is almost $ 700.

Is the Soundcraft worth the $ 700 higher price tag ?

Renard from Curacao
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:04:35 AM by Renard Hurtado »

Mal Brown

Re: Soundcraft Impact - Behringer X-32
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 12:14:08 PM »

In my opinion, based on sound quality, configurability and workflow, absolutely.  My usage is concert / festival audio.   Your usage may determine otherwise.

As is well documented the stock iPad app, well sucks...  we Soundcraft uses have high hopes for the Dev-Core app that many Music Tribe users like.  We’ll see how it pans out.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »

Yes!  :)

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »

Unfortunately, a question like this is likely to get a load of "yes" answers from Soundcraft owners and a load of "no" answers from Behringer owners.
And then there'll be "really, you should consider a QU/SQ" from A&H owners.

In the end, though, you have to look at the drivers.
Key appeals for the X32 for me include price (you can't escape this), ubiquity (at the lower end of the food chain, it is the most used, with most experience, and local spares if needed), platform support (excellent for Windows, Android - and even Linux & Raspberry Pi), extended product line (affordable stageboxes, affordable personal monitoring, SD recording card.

If the above are things that tick your box, then the X32 may win.  Your preference on workflow will vary and may tip you towards either product.  In the end, do your research on the products, and you'll probably find one winning over the other.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:41:59 PM by Alec Spence »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »

Unfortunately, a question like this is likely to get a load of "yes" answers from Soundcraft owners and a load of "no" answers from Behringer owners.
And then there'll be "really, you should consider a QU/SQ" from A&H owners.

A&H owner here.....I think the build quality is better and the remote app is far better on the QU/SQ.

Between those two pick the one that has features you really need.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »

As is well documented the stock iPad app, well sucks...  we Soundcraft uses have high hopes for the Dev-Core app that many Music Tribe users like.  We’ll see how it pans out.

Mixing Station for the SI is available.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 09:06:05 PM »

Mixing Station for the SI is available.

I haven’t checked in a bit.  Does he have support for the v.2 firmware ? 
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 07:16:39 AM »

I haven’t checked in a bit.  Does he have support for the v.2 firmware ?
Doesn't look like it yet, but he just recently pushed out a couple updates for the other flavors of the app so I wager it should support it soon.
As for the OP's question, it really does depend like others have said. Test drive whatever you're considering or play with it in a store, though for your application any of them seem like a winner.
FWIW, you can get a turnkey M32 setup (console, 32ch stagebox and 50m ethercon cable) for a steal of a price from a couple vendors clearing out inventory, but it looks like those deals are starting to dry up.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »

I have an Si Impact and M32 and spend a lot of time on other peoples’ X32.  I do have a couple of x32 racks.

The routing flexibility, and fader glow of the Soundcraft are a plus.

Having a screen with with all parameters and settings on the x/m series is a nice feature.  The Soundcraft screen really doesn’t do much except menu functions and routing. It does show a very basic eq but it’s meh.  I know we mix with our ears but having an RTA built in has come in handy when you have a lot going on on stage.

The X32 has a large community of users and support.  In my experience Music Group is better with supporting their products. 

I also feel the  fader response, movement, and motors are nicer on the x. The m is even better.  My Impact faders move slowly and are not nearly as smooth compared to the x32.

Metering - X32 is much easier to set levels. The Soundcraft meter scale is much smaller and there is no way to see it from the screen. Also in daylight and sun, it’s very hard to see the meters on the Soundcraft. The app is the best way to set levels and have a better view of metering.

Effects - lots say the x32 are garbage but I find the quality similar.  The Impact are slightly better but the x32 has more.

It’s been nearly two years since I’ve used my Impact though I do rent it out from time to time. 

The x32/m32 are widely available and if you ever partner with someone for events, there is a good chance they’ll be using the x/m platform.  This was my deciding factor. The whole ecosystem and add ons of the x is great.  Everyone I know in my area has the X32 and partnering on large events it was a no brainer to migrate towards the x32.

Sound quality, that’s subjective. I would say the Soundcraft has a slightly warmer and mellower sound; maybe slightly rounder? The X32 is a little crisper. Both sound very good.

I do really like my Impact and it is a little easier to walk up and mix on for a first timer. On the other hand, the X32 is just as easy once you feel it out.

I’d recommend an m32 if you can swing.  From a straight mixing standpoint it’s more fun to use the m32.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions.  Both are good and will do the job.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:42:45 AM by Mike Santarelli »

John Schalk

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

Hi All,

The price difference between these two consoles is almost $ 700.

First, try searching this forum for other threads on this topic.  You should find several that go into the details about the differences in the feature sets of the digital consoles in this price range.

I own a Performer 2 and regularly mix on an M32 that belongs to the band that I work for.  I bought my Performer 2 used three years ago and there is no way that I would pay new pricing for a Soundcraft console today because Soundcraft is simply not supporting these consoles and their associated apps.  The v2.0 release for the Impact merely gives it the same channel count as my Performer 2, so no new features from Soundcraft for these consoles in years.

The ViSi Remote app from Soundcraft is junk, as others have mentioned.  I have purchased and tried to use Mixing Station for my Performer 2 on my iPad Air, but I cannot get it to connect to my console (I use MS for the M32 regularly.)  I hope that Dev-core will give me some help with this, but once that gets worked out, it still won't be as functional as the X/M 32 app because Soundcraft doesn't expose enough functions (read the blog on the Si module for Mixing Station before you make your buying decision.)

The two main advantages that the Si series consoles have over the X/M 32 family are, the ability for any fader to serve any function and the ability to control up to 80 inputs to mix.  Mixing Station for the X/M 32 family lets you build and save custom layers, so that is one way you can get around the first issue and only you can decide if you see a need in your near future to have more than 32 mic preamps to mix.

FWIW, we now live in a technology driven landscape, so I think it makes sense to take a hard look at the newest kid on the block, which happens to be the A&H SQ series.  The other thing to consider is whether or not you must have a desk with physical faders.  More and more, people are comfortable mixing "on glass" and if you think that could be you, then it opens up a bunch of other possibilities for what to purchase and interestingly enough, the Soundcraft Ui24, which uses a totally different control app, is one of those options.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.