ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves Multirack and plugins  (Read 5485 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Waves Multirack and plugins
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »

For every plugin Waves has that works (imho) they have 4 that doesn't suit my taste. YMMV and all that of course.

I really like the MV2 plugin on drums when you have songs moving from super fast to slow and heavy, makes the whole kit more even without sounding dull.

And SSL Comp + MaxBass + L2 on the master bus if the PA is not that great. Or if the SPL police is heavy involved that day.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »

There is a big sale every day. Literally every day.
Their annual anniversary and Black Friday sales are always the biggest sales of the year. Last year the Gold Bundle was like $130. And I have used their annual mega sales to upgrade from Gold to Mercury over several times years for a fraction of the cost of buying it outright.

Just wish they would put their Soundgrid servers on sale and the Dugan Bundle on sale.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:52:14 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mark Richardson 2.0

• AV Metro
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »

Yeah- never, ever pay full till for Waves stuff. Check out the "Specials" page, every week they drop another selection of plugins down to $29 and they're nearly always running a sale, too. They also give out a freebie on Black Friday, which is how I got their Sibilance de-esser. It's a really nice look-ahead de-esser, which is something everybody ought to have. Their 1176 is good but not great, but the PuigChild 670 emulator is the BOMB on a recording 2-buss. It'd be fun to see what that did in a live scenario.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »

Just ordered my Server One Combo yesterday. Got killed with the US/Canadian exchange and duty/tax but hopefully it will be worth it. I'm planning to use it with my iLive and home studio.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »

Just ordered my Server One Combo yesterday. Got killed with the US/Canadian exchange and duty/tax but hopefully it will be worth it. I'm planning to use it with my iLive and home studio.

-Mark

If you have some recordings of previous gigs, spend some time with that at home playing around. Trying to set up a plug in rack with a band on stage is a PITA for you and the band, but if you have some good starting points (especially if you work with the same groups of musicians), it can be very easy to tweak your session to match different stages.

Enjoy the power, but try to have on-board processing ready to go in case the Waves takes a dive. I've only ever seen that happen once, but the engineer did not prepare and had to rebuild his mix almost from scratch with a full house (not fun).
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Mark Oakley

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:42:38 AM »

If you have some recordings of previous gigs, spend some time with that at home playing around.

Exactly my plan. Last summer I bought a recording computer (Dell Alienware) and during the past year have made about a dozen multi-track recordings of various shows I've done. I can run these recordings back through my board as a "Virtual soundcheck" and experiment with various Plug-ins.

I never take new gear out on a show before I have a good understanding of its operation.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »

A few quick questions/clarifications:

- I've read conflicting info about using Waves in small club settings, primarily due to latency, even with a Waves Grid Server. But someone mentioned earlier the latency is around 1ms with a server? Really? If so, that's awesome. I'd invest in a WGS immediately if so.

- Do they ever discount the WGS or cards during their mega sales? I've seen the plugins go on sale, but never the hardware.

** Got some multi-track recordings - thanks!! **
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:42:10 AM by Steve Litscher »

John P. Farrell

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »

- I've read conflicting info about using Waves in small club settings, primarily due to latency, even with a Waves Grid Server. But someone mentioned earlier the latency is around 1ms with a server? Really? If so, that's awesome. I'd invest in a WGS immediately if so.

A server will certainly be usable in a club if you're not choosing plug ins with crazy amounts of latency.  RT can be about a millisecond with the WSG card and server for whatever desk you're choosing.  I'm a big fan of waves in a live environment, and if you already own licenses the cost of hardware is minimal to really make those tools useful and effective. 
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »

A few quick questions/clarifications:

- Do they ever discount the WGS or cards during their mega sales? I've seen the plugins go on sale, but never the hardware.

- Anyone have a simple multi-track recording they'd be willing to share privately? I don't have any handy, and I'd love to play around with some things here. I'd be happy to reimburse for any troubles/hassles/time. PM me if you'd be willing to share?

PM me an email address.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 11:54:56 AM »

A server will certainly be usable in a club if you're not choosing plug ins with crazy amounts of latency.  RT can be about a millisecond with the WSG card and server for whatever desk you're choosing.  I'm a big fan of waves in a live environment, and if you already own licenses the cost of hardware is minimal to really make those tools useful and effective.

As long as you are not running the plugs on any monitor channels there's nothing wrong with running Multirack on a laptop in a club. You get a few MS of latency, but so what. I did it a lot using a Mac Mini in the doghouse of the desk.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 11:54:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.