ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital console power.  (Read 4913 times)

Roland Clarke

Digital console power.
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »

Does my digital console, when using the digital stage box, need to have the power sourced from the same circuit as the main pa, or will any supply local to the console do?  :D

Taylor Hall

Re: Digital console power.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »

Any power source will do, you don't get ground loop issues over AES50 like you do on a analog snake.

Note that this does not prevent a ground loop from being input into the snake from whatever is plugged into it. So if your snake is getting hum from someone's laptop charger on stage, it's still going to come through your mix unless you take the proper ground lift precautions.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Roland Clarke

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:50:37 AM »

Any power source will do, you don't get ground loop issues over AES50 like you do on a analog snake.

Note that this does not prevent a ground loop from being input into the snake from whatever is plugged into it. So if your snake is getting hum from someone's laptop charger on stage, it's still going to come through your mix unless you take the proper ground lift precautions.

The laptop problem, is a given, I was just interested if the aes ground was tied to say the pre-amp ground.  Of course their would be the same potential issue of say running an iPod or desk end microphone backwards.  I’ve never worked in a situation where I have ever had to use a separate power option at the desk end, however, from a cabling point of view it would have significant advantages.  I have, however, seen many instances of people having problems trying to do that with analogue consoles and not understanding why. 😁

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »

The laptop problem, is a given, I was just interested if the aes ground was tied to say the pre-amp ground.  Of course their would be the same potential issue of say running an iPod or desk end microphone backwards.  I’ve never worked in a situation where I have ever had to use a separate power option at the desk end, however, from a cabling point of view it would have significant advantages.  I have, however, seen many instances of people having problems trying to do that with analogue consoles and not understanding why. 😁
Yeah, it's not a problem solver per-se, but it does introduce a fair amount of convenience as long as there aren't any analog connections needing to talk back and forth between the stage and FOH.
1) Do it right

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »

After having the stage power go out and back on, causing a rather loud pop when the stage box rebooted, I keep it on it's own UPS.  It lives in the road case with the stage box, so no extra handling required.  FOH has one too, so the console/stagebox combo stay running if there's a power issue.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:59:17 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »

After having the stage power go out and back on, causing a rather loud pop when the stage box rebooted, I keep it on it's own UPS.  FOH has one too, so the console/stagebox combo stay running if there's a power issue.
Yeah we did the same shortly after I demonstrated what happened when one or the other lost power unexpectedly. $300 worth of UPS well spent.
1) Do it right

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:12:39 PM »

What about MADI, Dante, GigaACE, etc?  ;)
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »

What about MADI, Dante, GigaACE, etc?  ;)

Anything that uses a standard Ethernet hardware interface, whether it use the protocol or not is transformer isolated or isolated by glass.

Mac

Roland Clarke

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »

Anything that uses a standard Ethernet hardware interface, whether it use the protocol or not is transformer isolated or isolated by glass.

Mac

Glass do course is the perfect isolator, 😁 I was pretty sure all was good on this front, however I’m aware that cat 5/6 is screened and wondered which potential it would ‘potentially’ balance itself too.  I didn’t get to do it, but I was on a small local festival site where I could run 100m of cat 5 and I didn’t particularly fancy running 100m of mains if it was unnecessary when not 10m away there was another power source.  It was the point of using something like foh microphone or playback that was the only thing I could see had any chance of being a problem.  Thanks for all the replies. 😁

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »

Hi Roland-

In my world we don't count on power being available or it being on the same service (or the outlets wired correctly) so we run AC mains to FOH.  It's a no-brain deal as the cable is taped to the drive snake.  Power is *always* available.

I started doing this 35 years ago back in the days of analog desks and massive "Pin 1 problems" and have found no reason to change it.

Say I take power for FOH that's "local".  I have no idea what else is on the circuit or who has access to any other outlets.  I don't know who has access to the circuit breaker or even where it's located.  Those are things that give me heartburn because IF something goes wrong we're not able to immediately fix it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.