ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Feedback  (Read 2911 times)

Erick Neilsen

Audio Feedback
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to this site and wanted to ask a question regarding an audio job that went terribly wrong. In a medium sized conference / meeting room at a local hotel, I was tasked to lav mic 5 panelists and have a handheld stick mic for q & a afterwards. The speaker was a built in podium speaker. I ran the lav mics to my mixer and out of the mixer to the podium speaker. I set my gains correctly, but as soon as I gave "any" volume from either the podium or the mixer I would get feedback.

The podium was at least 10 feet from the nearest panelist and pointing away from them.

The q & a stick mic, which had a cube transmitter on it with the receiver plugged into the mixer, also had terrible feedback. The only thing that worked was a hard wired stick mic. Please help me understand what happened so I can avoid it again in the future. My best guess is mic selection.

Thanks

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Audio Feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »

Please change you display name to your actual name, per the forum rules.
No one will reply until then.
We're very strict about this.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »

Feedback is caused by the mic picking up signal from the speaker, amplifying it, and sending it back to the speaker where the loop repeats.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:23:00 AM »

I ran the lav mics to my mixer and out of the mixer to the podium speaker. I set my gains correctly, but as soon as I gave "any" volume from either the podium or the mixer I would get feedback.

Was the input on the podium meant for mic level or line level? Perhaps it was just too sensitive.

Or the people spoke so softly you had to give them too much gain.

Or the lavs were of low quality with response spikes that made them more prone to feedback.

Can you be more specific that "I set my gains correctly?"

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to this site and wanted to ask a question regarding an audio job that went terribly wrong. In a medium sized conference / meeting room at a local hotel, I was tasked to lav mic 5 panelists and have a handheld stick mic for q & a afterwards. The speaker was a built in podium speaker. I ran the lav mics to my mixer and out of the mixer to the podium speaker. I set my gains correctly, but as soon as I gave "any" volume from either the podium or the mixer I would get feedback.

The podium was at least 10 feet from the nearest panelist and pointing away from them.

The q & a stick mic, which had a cube transmitter on it with the receiver plugged into the mixer, also had terrible feedback. The only thing that worked was a hard wired stick mic. Please help me understand what happened so I can avoid it again in the future. My best guess is mic selection.

Thanks

My experience with "powered podiums" has been many presenters can talk louder than the speaker system will get without feedback... with a regular SM58 and not a lav mic.

What's your experience level working with lavaliere mics?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.