ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper splay on QSC K12.2?  (Read 5839 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Proper splay on QSC K12.2?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 01:36:52 AM »

With 3 per side you can do a dash-array with some custom hardware.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSC-K12-2-CUSTOMIZED-AS-LINE-ARRAY-12-000-W-SYSTEM/173909101772?hash=item287dca4ccc:g:EAEAAOSwX3ZcVo4M

Whatever you end up doing, you should get the mains up higher in the air. They look a bit low even when stacked on the subs.
It looks like you have a matched pair of subs on one side and a mixed pair on the other side.

Wow this is complete mess.  The speakers are not designed to array,  you are putting the wide side of the horn the wrong way and custom hardware??????

This can't possibly work.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 03:23:26 AM »

Wow this is complete mess.  The speakers are not designed to array,  you are putting the wide side of the horn the wrong way and custom hardware??????

This can't possibly work.

It'll "work" in the sense that you have 3x boxes and they're all making noise.

I stand by my suggestion of a 2x15"+2". Bonus if you can find something with a 90x60 HF horn that can be rotated, because then you could use 2x/side and have 120-degree coverage.

It doesn't matter how many knives you bring to a gunfight.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »

LOL!   ;D ;D ;D

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »

It'll "work" in the sense that you have 3x boxes and they're all making noise.

I stand by my suggestion of a 2x15"+2". Bonus if you can find something with a 90x60 HF horn that can be rotated, because then you could use 2x/side and have 120-degree coverage.

Chris

I agree completely, I was commenting on the person that made a line array out of KW boxes.

There are so many good speakers that meet the requirement of a larger horn exit, lower crossover and narrower pattern.  Those would splay decently and he would have a fighting change.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »

I agree completely, I was commenting on the person that made a line array out of KW boxes.

There are so many good speakers that meet the requirement of a larger horn exit, lower crossover and narrower pattern.  Those would splay decently and he would have a fighting change.

As mentioned, I typically use my KF300 boxes for this event (and similar outdoor events where I don't need the KF650's) but I sure did like the portability and weight factor of these QSC k12.2's though.. They certainly provided a pretty good punch for the event.

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »

Sam, set up a pair of K12 outside, you don't need subs.  Set them side by side, touch at the back.  Play some pink noise and start spreading the fronts of the speakers and listen to the change.  Walk the width of the coverage, too, with each change in splay.

The best you can do it try to find a splay that minimizes the damage in whatever part of the spectrum is most important to your program material.  Rob Spence has a decade-old post about doing this exercise...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »

With 3 per side you can do a dash-array with some custom hardware.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSC-K12-2-CUSTOMIZED-AS-LINE-ARRAY-12-000-W-SYSTEM/173909101772?hash=item287dca4ccc:g:EAEAAOSwX3ZcVo4M

Whatever you end up doing, you should get the mains up higher in the air. They look a bit low even when stacked on the subs.
It looks like you have a matched pair of subs on one side and a mixed pair on the other side.

This "system" has been making the rounds in the FB Pro Sound Disasters group for some time now.  I cannot imagine how terrible that would sound, especially with 3 x 75 degree conical HF horns all interacting poorly.  Please tell me you were making a funny and we all missed it.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »

I really like K12' because they hold up in my rental business.  Easy for customers to use, and hard to abuse.  I'm in full agreement that K12's don't splay well and don't make a dash array.  They probably work better than the five per side SA floor monitors flown as a dash array at a venue in my area.  I'll send pictures when I can.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 05:38:23 PM »

Sam, set up a pair of K12 outside, you don't need subs.  Set them side by side, touch at the back.  Play some pink noise and start spreading the fronts of the speakers and listen to the change.  Walk the width of the coverage, too, with each change in splay.

The best you can do it try to find a splay that minimizes the damage in whatever part of the spectrum is most important to your program material.  Rob Spence has a decade-old post about doing this exercise...

Thanks Tim, I appreciate the input. I'll try that. :)
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 01:49:21 AM »

I really like K12' because they hold up in my rental business.  Easy for customers to use, and hard to abuse.  I'm in full agreement that K12's don't splay well and don't make a dash array.  They probably work better than the five per side SA floor monitors flown as a dash array at a venue in my area.  I'll send pictures when I can.

Same deal with us, we have KW's and they sound better than the K's in my opinion.  I don't think the .2 are much of an upgrade, way too busy on the back panel.

However as they age I am running them more for monitor duty, corporate etc.  The Yamaha DSR's and DZR's are so vastly superior and easier to mix on the KW112 rarely go out as mains anymore.  The KW153's still get a lot of use and are a solid three way box however the JBL SRX735's with the larger HF driver are again so vastly superior they show the age of the QSC design (we don't own any of JBL's). 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 01:49:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.