ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless drums?  (Read 14106 times)

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
Re: Wireless drums?
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2019, 06:09:56 PM »

Ok, let's answer the questions.
The first thought was a tablet, yes. But I'd NEVER go Android, so, iPad.
But, then that's too expensive for just this, and a waste of an amazing tablet honestly.
So, I'll instead spend a fraction of what a tablet would cost and get a BIG screen.
I'll have a case for it too so it won't be such a hassle.

Now power: I took you guys' advice and ditched the Furman for a UPS as you can see there. Will add some weight but I suspect it'll be worth it, right.

Roger on the router. Will look at something stronger. I did get that little one for now, because I'm not even sure we will need a router for the small places we play, BUT I wanted to be a little more confident in the signal strength, so since I have this little one here already, I'll test it a bit.

As for how to hook it up, I wanted to do the snake, but then I'd need two longer leads on one end for the overheads, and then all those cables are ONLY usable as a bundle. Considering the pros and cons, I think I'll go with 8 separate cables, BUT I'll zip tie or tape them together for use.
The unit will be right beside my drums so 5m cables all around should suffice.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »

Ok, let's answer the questions.
The first thought was a tablet, yes. But I'd NEVER go Android, so, iPad.
But, then that's too expensive for just this, and a waste of an amazing tablet honestly.
So, I'll instead spend a fraction of what a tablet would cost and get a BIG screen.
I'll have a case for it too so it won't be such a hassle.

Now power: I took you guys' advice and ditched the Furman for a UPS as you can see there. Will add some weight but I suspect it'll be worth it, right.

Roger on the router. Will look at something stronger. I did get that little one for now, because I'm not even sure we will need a router for the small places we play, BUT I wanted to be a little more confident in the signal strength, so since I have this little one here already, I'll test it a bit.

As for how to hook it up, I wanted to do the snake, but then I'd need two longer leads on one end for the overheads, and then all those cables are ONLY usable as a bundle. Considering the pros and cons, I think I'll go with 8 separate cables, BUT I'll zip tie or tape them together for use.
The unit will be right beside my drums so 5m cables all around should suffice.

You don't need a router at all, you need an Access Point.  You aren't connecting to another network so you are not routing any traffic.  Hence the router part goes unused.  Save your money and just get an enterprise class AP like the Ubiquity Unifi 

Why would you never use an Android?  Open Source rocks. you like spending more money for the Apple logo?  This message is brought to you on an IBM Thinkpad X1 Carbon running Fedora Linux. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 07:25:14 PM »

You don't need a router at all, you need an Access Point.  You aren't connecting to another network so you are not routing any traffic.  Hence the router part goes unused.  Save your money and just get an enterprise class AP like the Ubiquity Unifi 

Why would you never use an Android?  Open Source rocks. you like spending more money for the Apple logo?  This message is brought to you on an IBM Thinkpad X1 Carbon running Fedora Linux.

Yes. I like paying more money for the Apple logo. And I'm in their ecosystem. Mac Pro, Apple Watch, iPhone. It already hurts my cells, thinking about adding a WINDOWS PC to my audio rack. I might actually put a mac mini instead, if I can muster the £. But, Mac OSX isn't built for use with a touch interface, so... that's tricky. I REALLY don't want to add a keyboard and a mouse to the setup... UNLESS it was something like this:

That was actually the first idea I had when I started thinking about this rack. It's a 1U, rugged, secure as hell, compact, just GREAT solution.
But, I want a shallow case, so that won't fit. Also it's heavy. Also it's expensive. Also it needs a computer, which I'm not getting. Yet. Also it'd be probably really hard to find a 1U KVM like that with a touchscreen that's in the list of approved touchscreens for use with the Ui24R.

But, at home I actually use Windows more than MacOS because I'm a gamer, and I stream on Twitch and shit, so can't really escape the PC. But Android? Just no.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »

If you end up going Ipad, Get a one or two generation old one on ebay.  WAY cheaper.  The processing is all done in the UI, so you don't need much.
It will run on pretty much anything, even your phone.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2019, 04:23:21 AM »

But Android? Just no.

Why?  Android is a great OS.  Been using Mixing Station for 5 years or so on a Galaxy Tab and it is an awesome app.  Android is stable, extensible etc.

I suppose you don't like Linux either? 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »

Why?  Android is a great OS.  Been using Mixing Station for 5 years or so on a Galaxy Tab and it is an awesome app.  Android is stable, extensible etc.

I suppose you don't like Linux either?

Because, for one thing, it's different on every device you run it based on manufacturer. If you ever need support, or a quick tip or something, odds are nobody around you is gonna have the same phone, therefore not the same version of android.
Second, the number of apps available is ridiculously smaller. Many, many apps are only available for iOS.
Third, every app that has an iOS version, is better in the iOS version. The Android ones are always buggier, with less features, slower, you name it. Very few exceptions here.
And then there's the device quality. Android devices are cheap for a reason. And it's not just the absence of the Apple logo.

I'm ok using my Windows PC because I was a PC user before I was a Mac one, so I've been building and configuring PCs since the days where having a Floppy disk drive was cutting edge... I had one on my 386 PS/1 system, with 40mb HDD and 4mb RAM (LOL).
But man, when I got my first Mac... I wished really hard I'd been on that side longer.
I still pray gaming becomes just as widespread on macs so that I can fully switch again.

But for audio stuff? Situations where I really need things to JUST WORK and not crash at all? Apple all the way.

As for Linux, I have nothing against it, except the stuff I was talking about with Android above. If you want to tinker with your OS, customize it to your heart's content, and your idea of fun is to be on your own whenever you have any issues, then hey, Linux is great!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »

Well, I have several apps that my friends can't find for the Apple-verse.
For a small developer with a limited market, dealing with Apple can be a no-go.
To me it's not about the number of apps, just the right ones.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »

Because, for one thing, it's different on every device you run it based on manufacturer. If you ever need support, or a quick tip or something, odds are nobody around you is gonna have the same phone, therefore not the same version of android.
Second, the number of apps available is ridiculously smaller. Many, many apps are only available for iOS.
Third, every app that has an iOS version, is better in the iOS version. The Android ones are always buggier, with less features, slower, you name it. Very few exceptions here.
And then there's the device quality. Android devices are cheap for a reason. And it's not just the absence of the Apple logo.

I'm ok using my Windows PC because I was a PC user before I was a Mac one, so I've been building and configuring PCs since the days where having a Floppy disk drive was cutting edge... I had one on my 386 PS/1 system, with 40mb HDD and 4mb RAM (LOL).
But man, when I got my first Mac... I wished really hard I'd been on that side longer.
I still pray gaming becomes just as widespread on macs so that I can fully switch again.

But for audio stuff? Situations where I really need things to JUST WORK and not crash at all? Apple all the way.

As for Linux, I have nothing against it, except the stuff I was talking about with Android above. If you want to tinker with your OS, customize it to your heart's content, and your idea of fun is to be on your own whenever you have any issues, then hey, Linux is great!

Damn, you haven't just drank the Apple Kool-Aid you have immersed yourself in it and possibly aspirated some.

First off the Android Play store has 1.5M apps to Apple's 1.2M apps.  Your statement about app quality is dubious at best.  The Mixing Station app is native Android and the Apple version is less mature.

Apple makes it much harder for small developers than Android to contribute to the community.

Certainly the top apps Facebook, Twitter, Instagram et al all have feature parity between the two platforms.

Android phones are not all inexpensive either.  Have you priced a Pixel?  I have an LG V30 and it is a $900 list price phone that is every bit as well made as any Foxcon Apple product. 

Same thing with laptops, I have an IBM X1 Carbon and it is nicer than the current Macbook Pro, which I have to buy because we have them in our rental inventory for video and Ableton work.  I run Linux on my laptop and you haven't ventured a comment on that.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2019, 03:04:54 AM »

Damn, you haven't just drank the Apple Kool-Aid you have immersed yourself in it and possibly aspirated some.

First off the Android Play store has 1.5M apps to Apple's 1.2M apps.  Your statement about app quality is dubious at best.  The Mixing Station app is native Android and the Apple version is less mature.

Apple makes it much harder for small developers than Android to contribute to the community.

Certainly the top apps Facebook, Twitter, Instagram et al all have feature parity between the two platforms.

Android phones are not all inexpensive either.  Have you priced a Pixel?  I have an LG V30 and it is a $900 list price phone that is every bit as well made as any Foxcon Apple product. 

Same thing with laptops, I have an IBM X1 Carbon and it is nicer than the current Macbook Pro, which I have to buy because we have them in our rental inventory for video and Ableton work.  I run Linux on my laptop and you haven't ventured a comment on that.

None of that matters because, EVERY single argument to either side is going to be what's better for whoever is typing the argument. Apple is better for me. The end.
Now that we've sidetracked a bit from the topic, let me pull it back:

I have news about the rig I'm ending up getting.

Now it'll be:

UPS
Touchscreen monitor
Rack VESA mount
Rack case
Ui24R

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2019, 01:32:18 AM »

Cool, Have fun! :D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2019, 01:32:18 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.