ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless drums?  (Read 14117 times)

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
Re: Wireless drums?
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »

I have no doubt that Berklee spent a whole lot of money on gear that spec'd by a vendor and that power conditioner was .0005% of the purchase price so nobody cared.

Now that we have to be stewards of our own resources we need to be a bit more selective.  If I see an FOH rack with a UPS it elevates my opinion of the operator, a Furman does the opposite.  A well thought out integrated distro/break out panel is a similar benefit.  JBL doesn't put them in zillion dollar power and processing racks!

Glad you are having fun here.  You have been a good sport to the chop busting.

I mean this is clearly not my first rodeo... the roasting is part of the thing.
In general, as a rule of life, I find that pride only gets in the way...
I came here cuz I needed help, and as such I should have a humble attitude otherwise it'll discourage people from helping me.
So what if there's one or two "mean" comments? We're all colleagues at the end of the day, right? We share the struggle of the music business.
This is truly helping a lot so, I have no complaints!
:-)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »

The suggestion of a loom is a good one. The DrumDrop is sort of like a loom, but I think it falls short in that all the cables are the same length. They're correct for maybe 2-3 drums, but the rest are either too long or too short. Plus they're more difficult to put angled connectors on than Neutrik XX series connectors.

I made a loom for one band I work with that's long enough to get to the floor behind the drum riser, which is great for a clean looking stage. The cables are all the length they need to be and it sets up really fast. I'm considering building another with a multipin on the end, but right now I just leave it plugged into a box with a mult out and it works fine.

I don't think you'll find anything better than a loom that's made to length.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »

I don't think you'll find anything better than a loom that's made to length.

This....

I still like to make 2 looms so each can go off the side to go behind the drums. No cables in front except for the kick, but if you've got a SHU mount you won't have that cable in front either.  I also used an X/Y pair of overheads that came up behind my drummer for overheads. Our drum kit looked cool. Well, it did to me anyway......

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 04:05:57 PM »

Alright gents!
I think I have my shopping list.

The rack
Ui24R
Power cable
Blank panel
UPS unit
Touchscreen

I also got this router: LINK

Am I missing anything?
Cheers!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 01:11:12 AM »

Alright gents!

The rack
Ui24R
Power cable
Blank panel
UPS unit
Touchscreen

Am I missing anything?
Cheers!

Negative on that router.  Those things don't even cover a hotel room.  I carry one so I can connect multiple devices when the hotel Internet only allows one MAC address per room.  They are crappy little underpowered widgets.

You need to check out the wireless thread and get a proper access point that you get up into line of site.

Since you will be controlling from drums I would hard wire that interface for safety.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:54 AM »

Alright gents!

The rack
Ui24R
Power cable
Blank panel
UPS unit
Touchscreen

Am I missing anything?
Cheers!

I see a touchscreen, but I don't see a computer to run it. Are you repurposing something you already have?

Honestly I'd get a cheapish android tablet. It's already got the touchscreen built in, and they are fairly durable. Traveling with a full sized monitor is kind of a pain.

How are you connecting all your mics to the mixer? I would still recommend a subsnake. It could be as simple as running your existing XLR in a well thought-out manner, then tape it together with friction tape wherever you can. Say you run 8 channels of mics. At the mixer end, you'll have a bundle of 8 xlr cables taped together. As it gets closer to each drum mic that cable splits out of the loom and has a few feet of "free end". Everything gets labeled. This is the fastest way.

I toured with a band that was big enough to play festivals, but small enough that we played the 5pm afternoon slot where you have 15 minutes to be up and running after the last band's last note. We could be up and making noise in ten minutes easy, and that is all because every mic line in my kit was labeled and if it was routed close to any other mic line, those were loomed together. In the end there were 5 looms for 24 inputs. So we had 5 things to roll out and plug in.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 02:35:35 AM »

I see a touchscreen, but I don't see a computer to run it. Are you repurposing something you already have?
The UI has an output for a big monitor/touchscreen.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Hunk Huang

• Soundman and cable designer
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 03:48:15 AM »

Hello everyone!
I'm Rod.
I'm new to the forum, but not new to audio.
Ran my own recording studio for about 10 years, went and got a Production & Engineering diploma from Berklee, finishing my Degree in Leeds, UK at Leeds College of Music, and am now touring with a function band.

Which leads me to the question!
Since we do everything ourselves, including the entire PA, miking, cabling the works, and we sometimes do 3 gigs in 3 consecutive days, it gets REALLY bad having to put all of it up and take it all down each single time.
To alleviate some of the effort, I've been thinking about ways to make it easier, quicker, faster, lighter, simpler.
The band is a 4-piece. Vocals, guitar, bass, drums.
We currently have everything going through an Allen & Heath 16 channel mixer.
I, the drummer, get one AUX cable from the main mixer to a smaller mixer, to get my click and monitoring in my in-ears.
We can't afford to have everyone on in-ears yet, because for the three of them they would have to be wireless (mine aren't, since I'm not going anywhere).

The biggest hassle right now, is miking and cabling the drumset. So, I had an idea.

Putting, for example, a Sennheiser XS system on each of my drums.

Kick, Snare, 3 Toms, 2 overheads.

Now...
- How reliable would this be? Interference wise, etc, with so many of them running next to each other?
- Cost/benefit? I mean each pair of XS transmitter/receiver is £266.
- Anything else I haven't thought about? Other solutions, other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

This is not a good note
You should learn about
"Three order intermodulation interference "
Radio channels will become increasingly scarce
What you need is a network interface box.
And put it next to DRUM SET
Soundman and cable designer

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »

Back to the power thing... and a good DVM too right?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »

The UI has an output for a big monitor/touchscreen.

Oh cool. Thats something I did not know.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.