ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless drums?  (Read 14056 times)

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
Re: Wireless drums?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »

You mention that you are using a 16 channel A&H board. If 16 channels does the job you could go with a digital mixer from A&H or Behringer with a stage box to the drum location then some 10 or 15 ft XLR's.
I made that change a a few years ago and set up / tear down is quick and easy.

Now, this is one thing I arrived at, after some consideration! Building myself a little drummer rack with a mixer, and go one cable from that to the main one.
Then I'd get a mixer that allows iPad control because the other issue is, my poor guitarist needs to run back and forth, between the stage and the audience space every time he changes something to listen to it from the crowd's perspective.
Then a small snake from the drums to the new mixer. Hmmm yeah seems better than having to deal with RF from place to place (we tour all over the UK so I'm guessing there's going to be big changes with each location).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:26:34 PM by Rodrigo C Goncalves »

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »

A little analog snake too.

I see many acts come around with mics mounted in the shells.  They usually have an XLR connector on the drum itself.  An analog snake to the main snake serves as your look.

I can't imagine this would save more than 10 minutes and I am old fat guy.  In addition to that and the duties of checking RF at each venue and replacing batteries each gig (or charging) seems lots of risk for little gain.  The Senheisers are the wrong choice.   Decent wireless (others in Sennheiser line or the Shure's and Lectrosonic's mentioned.) are quite pricey too.

Yeah. BATTERIES. I'm already quite annoyed at messing with my GoPro batteries... that's true.
As for the mics in the shells, at first I LOVED the idea of having just an XLR connector in the shells and have a plug-and-play drumset. It's already great having that in the kick drum. But, I don't want to drill my wood shells. And the MAY through-vent system I have on the kick is great, but it does come loose sometimes. Can't have that.

I do have plans on getting a second drumset, and it'll probably be acrylic. I've already talked to Forecast drums and they offer the XLR installation on every drum. I'll look into that some more I guess. Maybe I can have the mics inside so steady that they won't move.

Thank you everyone for all the considerations and suggestions! Very good number of replies, great stuff in such a short time. I'm glad I signed up to this forum.
I'll definitely update this with progress!

Cheers!

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »

Now, this is one thing I arrived on, after some consideration! Building myself a little drummer rack with a mixer, and go one cable from that to the main one.
Then I'd get a mixer that allows iPad control because the other issue is, my poor guitarist needs to run back and forth, between the stage and the audience space every time he changes something to listen to it from the crowd's perspective.
Then a small snake from the drums to the new mixer. Hmmm yeah seems better than having to deal with RF from place to place (we tour all over the UK so I'm guessing there's going to be big changes with each location).

No not a snake but a single CAT5 cable. If you go with Behringer and have less than 8 mics on your kit here's all you need: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141601-REG/behringer_sd8_i_o_stage_box_with.html

You could then mix on a tablet from anywhere.

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »

No not a snake but a single CAT5 cable. If you go with Behringer and have less than 8 mics on your kit here's all you need: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141601-REG/behringer_sd8_i_o_stage_box_with.html

You could then mix on a tablet from anywhere.

Oh, I should've specified. The A&H console we have doesn't have that option, unfortunately... Would be great though. That console IS getting a bit old, but it's still doing its job... when it finally gives, we'll do that.

In the meantime, on the drums side, I was thinking something more like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1360169-REG/presonus_studiolive_16r_16x8_digital_rack_mixer.html

Because:
- Right now I use 7 channels but that might change
- It's also an interface so I could add a laptop and record
- Rack mountable. Protection, transportation etc
- I like PreSonus
- Smallest and most feature packed I could find
- Great value (right?Or no?)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 08:09:00 PM »

Oh, I should've specified. The A&H console we have doesn't have that option, unfortunately... Would be great though. That console IS getting a bit old, but it's still doing its job... when it finally gives, we'll do that.

In the meantime, on the drums side, I was thinking something more like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1360169-REG/presonus_studiolive_16r_16x8_digital_rack_mixer.html

Because:
- Right now I use 7 channels but that might change
- It's also an interface so I could add a laptop and record
- Rack mountable. Protection, transportation etc
- I like PreSonus
- Smallest and most feature packed I could find
- Great value (right?Or no?)

A&H SQ5.  I don't know how many people would consider Presonus a great value or feature packed or easy to use or great sounding or long lasting... 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 08:26:14 PM »

A&H SQ5.  I don't know how many people would consider Presonus a great value or feature packed or easy to use or great sounding or long lasting...

Really? I used to teach at a School of Rock and they had one (not the exact same one I just mentioned), and I had one of their headphone units... None of them ever had any issues for the LONG time they saw use (almost 10 years in my studio, about 3 in the school).

The SQ5 is too expensive, too big, not rack mountable.

Care to suggest something better than the PreSonus, that offers at least 16 pres, is an interface, offers the iPad mixing functionality, has front headphone out, occupies just 1U and costs around £700?

Because you see, I should have mentioned the purpose of this little rack is not just for use with my band, but also for any other stuff I might do myself, as a drummer. I want a 4-6U rack I can carry around myself easily.
I'd have a Furman, the 1U mixer, a drawer and then have 1-3 extra spaces for whatever else I might want to add to it later on.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:30:53 PM by Rodrigo C Goncalves »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »

You might consider the Soundcraft UI24.
For not much more cash than the Presonus, you can do the whole band.
It will replace the A&H and you mix off your tablets and phones.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »

You might consider the Soundcraft UI24.
For not much more cash than the Presonus, you can do the whole band.
It will replace the A&H and you mix off your tablets and phones.

Hmmm so the Soundcraft you mentioned is about the same price as the PreSonus I linked. With 8 more channels and included router, it really does look like a better purchase... I wonder why it's so much cheaper(as in cost/benefit, since it's less £ per channel) though.
But it's 4U. Big. Hmmm.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »

Care to suggest something better than the PreSonus, that offers at least 16 pres, is an interface, offers the iPad mixing functionality, has front headphone out, occupies just 1U and costs around £700?

Behringer has a couple of relevant options: XR18 (much cheaper, 2U, less powerful, not expandable) and X32Rack (3U, still cheaper, way more powerful, quite expandable). I'd take both over the PreSonus any day.

Just so you're aware, PreSonus tends to have a very poor reputation among many live sound technicians. The original PreSonus StudioLive is the only console I've ever wanted to throw off a building even when working flawlessly (which it almost never did), and the bad taste it left was very strong. I'm sure PreSonus knows a lot about the needs of the studio, but for live sound they missed the mark on the original StudioLive in almost every way, and many of us aren't yet prepared to forgive them.

-Russ

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »

Behringer has a couple of relevant options: XR18 (much cheaper, 2U, less powerful, not expandable) and X32Rack (3U, still cheaper, way more powerful, quite expandable). I'd take both over the PreSonus any day.

Just so you're aware, PreSonus tends to have a very poor reputation among many live sound technicians. The original PreSonus StudioLive is the only console I've ever wanted to throw off a building even when working flawlessly (which it almost never did), and the bad taste it left was very strong. I'm sure PreSonus knows a lot about the needs of the studio, but for live sound they missed the mark on the original StudioLive in almost every way, and many of us aren't yet prepared to forgive them.

-Russ

AH HA! That makes more sense. I've never seen them used live. That's good to know!!
Hmm. So the X32 is actually £20 more expensive than the Soundcraft Ui24R. But it's, as you said, smaller. £20 for 8 more channels isn't bad at ALL.
I've just never had great experience with Behringer, but to be fair, the last time I used anything they make, was years ago.
So, lemme see. The Ui24R has an onboard router. X32 would require a separate router in my rack, right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.