ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless drums?  (Read 14055 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: Wireless drums?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 07:47:48 PM »

The only reason we still use floor wedges for monitoring is because we can't afford in-ears for everyone, because theirs would have to be wireless.

Are their guitars wireless?  If not, there's no good reason at all that they can't loom IEM cables with their guitar cables.

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 08:08:09 PM »

Are their guitars wireless?  If not, there's no good reason at all that they can't loom IEM cables with their guitar cables.

No, but the singer's mic is, so at the very least she needs wireless.
Also there's different tunings so it's not the same guitar for the entire show. The IEM running with the guitar cable is a second unplug and plug... Remember we have NOBODY helping us.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 08:57:35 PM »

No, but the singer's mic is, so at the very least she needs wireless.
Also there's different tunings so it's not the same guitar for the entire show. The IEM running with the guitar cable is a second unplug and plug... Remember we have NOBODY helping us.

OK, leave her on wedges with her RF mic.  She'll love her mix more than she ever has when the rest of the band is on IEM.  Maybe run the hardwired GTR IEM mixes cables separately from the GTR cables if that's more suitable.  Trailing two cables per player is not a showstopper when they're accustomed to one cable.  Unless you're playing stadiums, then of course that might not work.  But on anything less than a 30 ft. x 40 ft. deck, it's trivial for most pro musicians to comfortably manage.  I've worked with several top-A-level players who actually prefer this scenario to wireless!  Because they hold pristine sound in highest regard over all else.  In stadiums!

The GTR cable can go to the same input on the pedalboard regardless of guitar/tuning/whatever.  Looming GTR and IEM together makes no difference which guitar is on the player and instrument changes are the same as with a single cable.  Pop the connector out of the guitar, take the guitar off, put the new guitar on, pop the connector into the new guitar.  All the while the IEM cable remains attached.

The bottom line is that if a player is otherwise tethered by any one cable throughout their performance, wireless becomes a matter of convenience and not of necessity.  And RF audio is always inferior to cable, no matter how expensive.  Always.

I'm just trying to help you guys have the best playing experience that you can, even if you have a small budget.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:00:38 AM by Jason Glass »

Xiang Cao

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 11:51:56 PM »

Do you have to use 7 mics on your drums? If it is just a bar gig, kick/snare/overhead is more than enough.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »

OK, leave her on wedges with her RF mic.  She'll love her mix more than she ever has when the rest of the band is on IEM.  Maybe run the hardwired GTR IEM mixes cables separately from the GTR cables if that's more suitable.  Trailing two cables per player is not a showstopper when they're accustomed to one cable.  Unless you're playing stadiums, then of course that might not work.  But on anything less than a 30 ft. x 40 ft. deck, it's trivial for most pro musicians to comfortably manage.  I've worked with several top-A-level players who actually prefer this scenario to wireless!  Because they hold pristine sound in highest regard over all else.  In stadiums!

The GTR cable can go to the same input on the pedalboard regardless of guitar/tuning/whatever.  Looming GTR and IEM together makes no difference which guitar is on the player and instrument changes are the same as with a single cable.  Pop the connector out of the guitar, take the guitar off, put the new guitar on, pop the connector into the new guitar.  All the while the IEM cable remains attached.

The bottom line is that if a player is otherwise tethered by any one cable throughout their performance, wireless becomes a matter of convenience and not of necessity.  And RF audio is always inferior to cable, no matter how expensive.  Always.

I'm just trying to help you guys have the best playing experience that you can, even if you have a small budget.

I personally run this way. I have a Behringer Powerplay headphone amp on a small bracket on my mic stand. The sends from the board feed it. I have 20' instrument cables with 25' x1/8" TRS cables taped to them. Works great. Sounds better than wireless for sure.

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »

She's been complaining about not hearing herself, or having to have the wedges too loud so she can. It's probably my fault, being a hard hitter.
If anyone needs in ears it's her. Being also a singer myself, I can't begin to tell ya how huge of a difference it makes, for singing.
But I'll definitely run the wired IEM idea by the two axemen.

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »

Do you have to use 7 mics on your drums? If it is just a bar gig, kick/snare/overhead is more than enough.

Yes. I have to.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:29:21 PM by Rodrigo C Goncalves »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »

Yes. I have to.

I mic up the whole kit and decide which ones to turn on/up/off at sound check.  It's much easier than trying to add mics while the show is running or delaying sound check. 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rodrigo C Goncalves

• Hello!
    • My site.
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »

I mic up the whole kit and decide which ones to turn on/up/off at sound check.  It's much easier than trying to add mics while the show is running or delaying sound check. 8)

My man!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »

She's been complaining about not hearing herself, or having to have the wedges too loud so she can. It's probably my fault, being a hard hitter.
If anyone needs in ears it's her. Being also a singer myself, I can't begin to tell ya how huge of a difference it makes, for singing.
But I'll definitely run the wired IEM idea by the two axemen.

At some point the ear starts overloading, and when it does there's a huge loss of vocal clarity. I wouldn't be surprised if lowering the overall volume would help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.