ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Sub to go with RCF HDM 45-A? SRX828sp, SUB 8004-AS, or 8006-AS?  (Read 7397 times)

James Liddle

Re: Which Sub to go with RCF HDM 45-A? SRX828sp, SUB 8004-AS, or 8006-AS?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I did research everything listed. I was sent a few videos of the 8004's in use by other forum members and this has been very helpful. Based on the jobs they were used on in the videos I am starting to think two will be enough, at least for now. I plan to try a pair and let my bank account recover. If I need more after a few months of using two, I can add a double 18 like the 8006 and have scale-able options. But from watching the vids there is a real possibility I won't.

Also thanks to the vids, I am thinking the HDM 45-A might be more than I need and am now leaning towards the HD 32-A Mark IV. Anything I use these new speakers for will include the subs so I am not sure I need the 15 woofer in the main speakers. One of the vids also had the NXL 24-A over the 8004s and I really liked how the video sounded (although I know I can't rely on YouTube and headphones to get an accurate read on these speakers). Looking at the outdoor jobs I am hoping to add, a wider dispersion might prevent me from the need for additional side fill speakers. From what I have been reading it also sounds like the NXL 24-A is able to provide sound over longer distances without the need for extreme volume right in front of the stage. Obviously they cost more than HD 32-As, but I see the NXL 24-A as a possible "never need to upgrade in the future" option. I just need to decide if they are worth it. Anyone have insight on using both HD 32-As and NXL 24-As and want to offer an opinion?

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »

I own 8004 with HD32 mk4, and can tell you that the HD32 will outrun a single 8004, but when i couple the 8004 with the tt25cxa the coupling in the lower mids is much better. It still sound great btw. Make sure to change the polarity on the 8004.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

The RCF HDM-45 is a pretty nice speaker, but given its spec., I think a set of JBL SRX828's would do you more than just fine. If you are going for the whole 4X sub power to mains ratio so you can have a +16db hump of bass content, then yeah you may want a more capable set of subs. I too would prefer to stay within a family of speakers, meaning the 9004 is probably the best option if you ask me. The 9004 has RDNet and is the newest offering in that family. The 8004 is no slouch and would compliment just fine I think. You have to really asses what your end goal is. I think one sub per HDM would keep up just fine for anything that you would desire to use the HDM for. I will be honest though in saying that if you really want to save a few bucks, the JBL SRX828's would definitely give you lots of boom for the buck. They sound really good too. They may not be the best sub, but they are the best sounding sub you can get for that kind of money.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Matt Greiner

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 11:33:38 PM »

Not sure of your location, but perhaps there is a LAB'er near you that has some of the models you've mentioned (and some you haven't) that you can go and hear in person.

I'm (potentially) in the market for some new gear myself, but I am unfortunately at least a 2.5 hour drive from a major market.  Before I make the step up, I fully plan on making a trip to hear some demos before I purchase.  I've been told (and I completely agree) that it will be money well spent. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »

Not sure of your location, but perhaps there is a LAB'er near you that has some of the models you've mentioned (and some you haven't) that you can go and hear in person.

I'm (potentially) in the market for some new gear myself, but I am unfortunately at least a 2.5 hour drive from a major market.  Before I make the step up, I fully plan on making a trip to hear some demos before I purchase.  I've been told (and I completely agree) that it will be money well spent.

Yep, spending some money to avoid a bad purchase decision is money will spent.

I've flown/driven many miles to audition some purchases and have saved my employer $$$ avoiding inappropriate gear.  On the flip side I've spent 6 figures on know gear, sight unseen.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »

Anyone have insight on using both HD 32-As and NXL 24-As and want to offer an opinion?

There is an NX32a, which is a wood box version of the HD32a. It's a much better option. Less resonant and way more durable than the plastic box versions. It's a relatively small bump in price over the HD for a huge bump in quality.

There's also an NX45a which is the 15" version of the top. I'm much less objectionable to putting in 15" tops if you don't have to move them.

NX32a/SUB8004 is a fine combination.

On the NXL24a the tops can run away from the subs at top volume. Not sure if it matters in your case. A big consideration on the column arrays is the frontal profile. They don't block sightlines like a trap box.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:40:35 PM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 09:42:49 PM »

Just a heads up. In the market place is a pair of rcf hd-32a mk4 with covers and a pair of JTR C218pro’s for sale. Might fit you needs and budget.

Rick Powell

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »

Just a heads up. In the market place is a pair of rcf hd-32a mk4 with covers and a pair of JTR C218pro’s for sale. Might fit you needs and budget.

For less than $6000 you’d be hard pressed to find a more capable system of that size.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.