Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Portable generator operating in the rain.....

(1/4) > >>

Mike Monte:
I was at a local outdoor event yesterday where the stage (DJ w/PA) was powered by a Predator 4000 generator.

During the course of the day an aggressive rainstorm came through around 5:00pm.
The stage was covered and the speakers, rack, etc. were bagged/tarped.  The generator kept running out in the open in torrential rain for about 30 minutes with no noticeable ill-effect.

The PA (DJ music plus announcements) kept going throughout the rain storm and thereafter, through the end of the event @ 11:30pm.

I just read-up on the Predator's manual and it doesn't mention anything about running the unit in inclement weather, however, it does recommend keeping the electrical connections dry...

I realize that operating a genny in the rain may not a good practice.

Has anyone else ever had an instance where they had to use a portable generator in the rain for PA use or other?

Taylor Hall:
We got a small pop up tent to cover (heyooo) just this scenario. With the legs fully collapsed, it stands about 2ft off the ground which gives plenty of clearance for the gennies underneath. I think it was a 3x5 or 4x6 pop up? Pretty sure we got it at wal mart and was cheap insurance for our screen on the green events.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Mike Monte on June 22, 2019, 03:47:34 pm ---I was at a local outdoor event yesterday where the stage (DJ w/PA) was powered by a Predator 4000 generator.

During the course of the day an aggressive rainstorm came through around 5:00pm.
The stage was covered and the speakers, rack, etc. were bagged/tarped.  The generator kept running out in the open in torrential rain for about 30 minutes with no noticeable ill-effect.

The PA (DJ music plus announcements) kept going throughout the rain storm and thereafter, through the end of the event @ 11:30pm.

I just read-up on the Predator's manual and it doesn't mention anything about running the unit in inclement weather, however, it does recommend keeping the electrical connections dry...

I realize that operating a genny in the rain may not a good practice.

Has anyone else ever had an instance where they had to use a portable generator in the rain for PA use or other?

--- End quote ---

That generator is not acceptable to use with electronics.  Inverted generators are the standard for small production use.

Lyle Williams:
I have never seen a generator that wasn't ok to be in the rain.

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on June 24, 2019, 04:52:12 am ---That generator is not acceptable to use with electronics.  Inverted generators are the standard for small production use.

--- End quote ---

Not acceptable to whom?

As long as the voltage stays pretty constant and the load is appropriate, what is wrong?

Pretty much everything in the MI world has switching power supplies producing DC so small voltage fluctuations are fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version