ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear Hauler; Pick-Up Truck VS mini Cargo Van  (Read 11504 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Gear Hauler; Pick-Up Truck VS mini Cargo Van
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2019, 10:00:09 PM »

If you want to look like someone that belongs on To Catch A Predator, stay away from the Astro's, Safari's, and other such vans that now seem to have some folklore.

Any van with curtains.  I used a passenger van with window curtains to haul small amounts of gear.  Stopped more with that van than ALL my other vehicles combined.  The only good thing was I could do common repairs and maintenance on it myself.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 12:56:15 AM »

I looked for a new van option for quite a while before settling on a Mercedes Metris.  My three main criteria were: A) More capacity than my Grand Caravan  B) fit into the 6'8" parking garages in Chicago C) fit a 4x8 sheet of material with the doors closed. 

I figured I had 3 options: 
1)  Used Astro van -  can't remember why I dismissed this.  2)  Used early 2000's Ram B1500 short wheel base van - couldn't find any that weren't rusted out for a decent price but this would have been awesome.  Lots of room and very short length too.  3) Newish MB Metris. 

I was very hesitant to get into the MB family considering the high maintenance costs as well as a significant purchase price.  The jury is still out on how well it's going to work out for my dilapidated pocketbook.  But so far, I've got to admit, it's a nice ride.  It's a very good size for what I need it for, handles very well, usually makes me dizzy when accelerating hard off the line (I'm no fighter pilot) and fits into all the garages, even the 6'6" ones.  I recently loaded two LAB subs into it and it without a ramp and it was stupid easy.  Similar to Mark's technique, I just tipped the sub up and onto the low floor and then tipped the back up and slid it in.  I fit the two LABs, a couple mains, a small amp rack, a few wedges and a roadcase of LEDs with room to spare.  I know that's vague but consider that most minivans can only fit one LAB at most, just on account of the small door openings alone.  The wide, clear door openings make a big difference on what you can get into and out of it.

If I'm not mistaken, the smallest "full size" van currently being made is just over 80" tall.  I don't remember which Make/Model that is.  All the less than "full size" cargo vans are too small for a full sheet of material, and really too small to haul as much gear as I would like.  There aren't any other vans from the last few years in the size category of the Metris.  It's a unique vehicle in several ways beyond size (rwd etc).  But they are hard to find used for under $17k or so, especially with any comfort options.  The first year in the US was 2016. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »

Any van with curtains.  I used a passenger van with window curtains to haul small amounts of gear.  Stopped more with that van than ALL my other vehicles combined.  The only good thing was I could do common repairs and maintenance on it myself.
I used to borrow a black, kind of crusty-looking van to deliver my stage.
Once, when driving through a neighborhood looking for the house number, I swear, all the moms grabbed their kids.
I named the van the Predator after that. :o
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:48:57 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tracy Garner

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »

Funny - I've been using passenger vans. I always thought it was better because it looks like a church van. I had tinted windows though instead of the curtains.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

I have looked into replacing what we have (2014 Toyota Sienna) a few times but each time we keep what we have for the following reasons:
We have 150 cu ft of cargo space with seats removed.
We get well over 20MPG up to 26/27 highway.
We can fold the third row seats and easily pull up if needed.
We can park anywhere.
It is comfortable - drives more like a car than a van
It has extremely dark tints for security added at the dealership before we bought it.
We use it as a true mini van when we have family or friends visiting us - seats up to 8 people.
We can pull our 5x8 trailer if we need more room. Towbar is fitted.
This is the 2nd Sienna we have owned and we love it.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Guy Luckert

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »

I have looked into replacing what we have (2014 Toyota Sienna) a few times but each time we keep what we have for the following reasons:
We have 150 cu ft of cargo space with seats removed.
We get well over 20MPG up to 26/27 highway.
We can fold the third row seats and easily pull up if needed.
We can park anywhere.
It is comfortable - drives more like a car than a van
It has extremely dark tints for security added at the dealership before we bought it.
We use it as a true mini van when we have family or friends visiting us - seats up to 8 people.
We can pull our 5x8 trailer if we need more room. Towbar is fitted.
This is the 2nd Sienna we have owned and we love it.

+1

also- a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay down in back.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2019, 01:43:54 AM »

+1

also- a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay down in back.

I've heard a lot of praise for the Sienna.  It might be the best of the bunch among the passenger oriented mini vans. 

And the Mazda Bongo looks spectacular!  That short wheel base has got to mean a splendidly tight turning radius! 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2019, 05:20:43 AM »

Box van with liftgate here. Why? I don't like stacking/tilting/lifting things. When i need to rent one i rent one very near, very cheap. I talked to the rental guy, and because i need it at night, and return it before morning, with very low miles, i get a very special rate. Parking is no problem here.

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2019, 05:43:22 AM »

And the Mazda Bongo looks spectacular!  That short wheel base has got to mean a splendidly tight turning radius!

I love my little Bongo! It does indeed turn on a dime and has no trouble hauling an entire band rig, PA, stage rack, lighting rig, drum kit, guitar and bass rigs, etc, etc.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »

I do most of my lighting gigs and the smaller sound gigs with mt Honda Fit.
I call it my mini-mini-van.
It's amazing how much stuff I've crammed in there.
Ow, my aching suspension :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.