ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: End Fire Sub-array element spacing  (Read 8042 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: End Fire Sub-array element spacing
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »

^^^^^^ Yes very true and I should have clarified that it was 360* behind at a specific frequency. The point being that forward coupling is bad and diminishes quality. The only reason this may work at all is that there is a 2:1 ratio of forward facing to rear facing subs ( in most cases ). Because the forward facing subs have perhaps more than double the potential forward energy, the rear-facing subs forward energy is not as potentially destructive.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »

Thanks for all the helpful information - some informative reading.

Now I'm curious about an end-fire array that is hung in the air. I am building a three element array hung by chain rigging systems designed by APE systems.

1: Would a heavy sub (TH118XL) be prone to sway at all from the force of program material? I'm thinking no because the signal oscillates.
  -Also from HVAC - there is no direct airflow in the vicinity of the array, and even if so, that's a decent amount of mass to move.

2: If something did cause the elements to swing, how quickly/drastically would the array effect break down?
  -Then related: If program material caused a swing, they should actually all be affected the same and swing together.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »

Thanks for all the helpful information - some informative reading.

Now I'm curious about an end-fire array that is hung in the air. I am building a three element array hung by chain rigging systems designed by APE systems.

1: Would a heavy sub (TH118XL) be prone to sway at all from the force of program material? I'm thinking no because the signal oscillates.
  -Also from HVAC - there is no direct airflow in the vicinity of the array, and even if so, that's a decent amount of mass to move.

2: If something did cause the elements to swing, how quickly/drastically would the array effect break down?
  -Then related: If program material caused a swing, they should actually all be affected the same and swing together.

No worries.

For more fun with subwoofers:  http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/PD_LF_TechNote.pdf
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »

For 50 Hz cancellation in a two deep endfire (IIRC) it's 5 feet sub front to sub front, 5.5 msec of delay. Done this many times with Danley BC-415 with good effect. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.