ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time using a QL5 - noob questions inside!  (Read 461 times)

Rob Reed

First time using a QL5 - noob questions inside!
« on: June 16, 2019, 06:03:47 pm »

Hi all, my first time using a QL5 on a show. I have used the QL1 on a show before but only for about a week a few months back and have forgotten most of it. I'm also using a 1608 RIO for the first time and just about worked out how to patch it through Dante.

I'm doing a theatre show. Its a small community theatre so haven't got a massive PA, but have used the same in the past on an LS9 a few years ago and it sounded great. I have 16 Channels of beltpacks, 2 wireless Handhelds, backing tracks, 4 float mics, and some effects. I have 7 mixes and want all to work post fade from the top layer.

Mix 1 - FOH left
Mix 2 - FOH Right
Mix 3 - Circle Left
Mix 4 - Circle Right
Mix 5 - Foldback Left
Mix 6 - Foldback Right
Mix 7 - Front Fills

With everything post-fade i can set levels on each mix before the rehearsal so it all sounds balanced, however i need the seperate mixes as the room is very echo-y and feeds back easily, so i need to GEQ each mix. I can't use the desk again until Wednesday and ideally would like to have an idea of what to do as soon as i get in as i only have 3 hours to mess around with and need to do some other stuff.

So here are my questions:

How can i apply a GEQ to just channels 1-18? I couldn't see an option to apply a GEQ to a DCA :/
How can i set my master faders on the top layer so that A will essentially control mixes 1,2,3,4, & 7 (FOH), while B controls 5 & 6 (FB)?

I think theres a way to do this using matrices but i'm not 100% sure. I've never used a matrix send in my life!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: First time using a QL5 - noob questions inside!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 06:59:18 pm »

Use of your real first and last name as the "display name" in your profile is required to post/respond/reply in the Live Audio Board and subforums.

Your topic will be locked by a moderator if you do not correct this.

Users of the forums do not respond to posts that do not comply with the real name requirement.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

Hi all, my first time using a QL5 on a show. I have used the QL1 on a show before but only for about a week a few months back and have forgotten most of it. I'm also using a 1608 RIO for the first time and just about worked out how to patch it through Dante.

I'm doing a theatre show. Its a small community theatre so haven't got a massive PA, but have used the same in the past on an LS9 a few years ago and it sounded great. I have 16 Channels of beltpacks, 2 wireless Handhelds, backing tracks, 4 float mics, and some effects. I have 7 mixes and want all to work post fade from the top layer.

Mix 1 - FOH left
Mix 2 - FOH Right
Mix 3 - Circle Left
Mix 4 - Circle Right
Mix 5 - Foldback Left
Mix 6 - Foldback Right
Mix 7 - Front Fills

With everything post-fade i can set levels on each mix before the rehearsal so it all sounds balanced, however i need the seperate mixes as the room is very echo-y and feeds back easily, so i need to GEQ each mix. I can't use the desk again until Wednesday and ideally would like to have an idea of what to do as soon as i get in as i only have 3 hours to mess around with and need to do some other stuff.

So here are my questions:

How can i apply a GEQ to just channels 1-18? I couldn't see an option to apply a GEQ to a DCA :/
How can i set my master faders on the top layer so that A will essentially control mixes 1,2,3,4, & 7 (FOH), while B controls 5 & 6 (FB)?

I think theres a way to do this using matrices but i'm not 100% sure. I've never used a matrix send in my life!

The way I set up my theater gigs is through mixbusses which are fed to matrix.

All actors/actresses go to a stereo fixed mix (a stereo group in normal words), which is then sent to the matrixes. In your example I'd set up Matrix 1-6 to be FOH L, FOH R, Circle L, Circle R, Fill L, Fill R. Then feed the matrixes from the stereo group. Group L is sent to FOH L + Circle L + Fill L. Group R is sent to FOH R + Circle R + Fill R. This way you only have to press "on" on the send from each channel into the stereo group, and it follows your panning on the individual channel (Pan left sound goes to FOH L, Circle L, Fill L, and vice versa, if you need to do panning..
GEQ is inserted into the stereo group. One for Group L, and one for group R, link the GEQs. This way the GEQ only affects the actors mics, and you only use two GEQs. The group also functions as a "master fader(s)" for the overall level of the actors, not any tracks or anything else.

You can then also do individual PEQ (or GEQ if you insert that as well on the matrixes) on the matrix pairs to shape the output of the speakers to suit the room, this will be the "master EQ" of your paired outputs.

GEQ on the group is to make the only the speech sound "overall natural", instead of using lots of (often same) EQ filters on every individual mic input, you just do it on the stereo groups as an output "voice EQ", it's only one EQ to tend to (since they are linked) if you hear that "everybody" sounds nasal or such, instead of doing that notch on 18 different input EQs, you just do it on the group EQ. Put that rack slot (one of the EQs, since they are linked) on a custom user button for quick access.

This way the mic inputs is preserved to tailoring only individual actors voices, while the EQ (and inserted PEQ) on the group is to dial in overall tonality of the mics and combating potential feedback. Freeing up all EQ bands on each mic input for that particular voice.

You can't insert anything on a DCA, since it's just a remote control for other input/output faders, it carries no signal at all, it's just a remote for a group of other faders. Any inserts must be done in the chain of the signal/channel/output it's controlling.

Link the individual pairs of matrixes and do you relative level settings and EQ after you have set the individual level for the pairs and EQ for them, after that link all six of the matrixes, if you want to link EQ, fader etc is up to you, but I usually link it all.. Maybe you want Circle to be 3 dB louder than FOH, and Fills to be 10dB quiteter than FOH, and different EQ to the three pairs, do this to the pairs and EQ before you link them all. Then you have six faders which are linked and you only have to pull one of them if you want the entire mix to be louder/quieter.

I do all my foldbacks as fixed mixes (again, "groups" Yamaha calls them fixed mix) since they will automatically be post fader, it's easy. Just press on or off on a group and the channel is sent there. I prefer to use active speakers as foldbacks behind the stage and set them at maybe -10dB on the individual speaker, so if one foldbackpoint behind the stage is asking if I can turn up that particular foldback I just tell them to turn up the knob on the back of the speaker, if I'm doing a job with several different foldback points that is. Instead of running 10 single lines to 10 different foldback points, I've found out that I just link the speakers themselves cable-wise and make sure I have some headroom left on the volume-knob on each speaker. If you only have two foldbacks then just use two mixes if that's easier and control the volume from the desk.

You can do a custom fader layer with whatever you need where you want it, including one fader for one of the matrixes, or add the atrixes to a dca and add the dca to the custom fader layer.

Any tracks or FX and such can be direct fed into the matrixes from individual channels.

Even if you haven't used matrixes before think of them just as an aux/mix bus. Difference is that you can feed them all busses on the console and also individual channels. They just sit at a different "level" comparing to auxes, they are higher up, since you can feed auxes and masters to them. They are sort of the highest end point of your signal chain.

If you have the time to do it, make an offline show, dump it into the desk when you get your hands on it an take it from there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:18:01 pm by Miguel Dahl »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.