ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis Alpha 112 vs Yamaha DXR10 Mk1  (Read 3624 times)

Richard Wilson Smith

Alesis Alpha 112 vs Yamaha DXR10 Mk1
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »

I have a pair of I have a pair of Alesis Alpha 112 speakers. I purchased them new a few years ago, and they are an acceptable speaker for a good price (or they were at the time). The concern has always been that they produce an audible (to me at least) hiss with no signal input and all attenuations at lowest levels. I know this is the by-product of class D amps, but it find it distracting to the point of annoyance. OTOH my lovely wife cannot hear the hiss at all, even when all external noise sources are well muted, etc.

I am thinking of selling the Alesis Alpha 112's and buying a lightly used 2015 set of Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1's from my local Craigslist.

Yamaha has just introduced the DXR10 Mark 2 version of this speaker, and my questions are:
1. How hissy are the Yamahas?
2. Are the Yamaha DXR10 Mark 2's worth the fact that I would have to buy them new (seems doubtful for my purposes)?
3. Will I lose some bass response Alesis Alpha 112 versus Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1 given the smaller LF driver of the Yamahas?

I do a solo act at moderate volumes (no more than of say 50 people and I use backing tracks) and at most places most of the time the Alesis Alpha 112's hiss is a bit annoying (to me at least and mostly between tunes) but not to point of distraction. But I cannot always easily ignore the hiss, and at home for practice I cannot easily abide by the hiss, at least at lower home practice volumes. I do not need to use the Alesis Alpha 112's for home practice, as I have other much better speakers (too big for my solo act though) yet it makes the most sense to practice with the same PA I use live (for obvious reasons).

I can purchase the lightly used 2015 set of Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1's for $800 Canadian (that's $10 in US dollars - kidding that's about $600 US dollars) and I expect I can sell my immaculate Alesis Alpha 112's for maybe $400 Canadian, but I could keep the Alesis Alpha 112's for backup or monitor duty (if I ever do a band thing).  Alpha 112 speakers. I purchased them new a few years ago, and they are an acceptable speaker for a good price (or they were at the time). The concern has always been that they produce an audible (to me at least) hiss with no signal input and all attenuations at lowest levels. I know this is the by-product of class D amps, but it find it distracting to the point of annoyance. OTOH my lovely wife cannot hear the hiss at all, even when all external noise sources are well muted, etc.

I am thinking of selling the Alesis Alpha 112's and buying a lightly used 2015 set of Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1's from my local Craigslist.

Yamaha has just introduced the DXR10 Mark 2 version of this speaker, and my questions are:
2. Are the Yamaha DXR10 Mark 2's worth the fact that I would have to buy them new (seems doubtful for my purposes)?
3. Will I lose some bass response Alesis Alpha 112 versus Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1 given the smaller LF driver of the Yamahas?

I do a solo act at moderate volumes (no more than of say 50 people and I use backing tracks) and at most places most of the time the Alesis Alpha 112's hiss is a bit annoying (to me at least and mostly between tunes) but not to point of distraction. But I cannot always easily ignore the hiss, and at home for practice I cannot easily abide by the hiss, at least at lower home practice volumes. I do not need to use the Alesis Alpha 112's for home practice, as I have other much better speakers (too big for my solo act though) yet it makes the most sense to practice with the same PA I use live (for obvious reasons).

I can purchase the lightly used 2015 set of Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1's for $800 Canadian (that's $10 in US dollars - kidding that's about $600 US dollars) and I expect I can sell my immaculate Alesis Alpha 112's for maybe $400 Canadian, but I could keep the Alesis Alpha 112's for backup or monitor duty (if I ever do a band thing).

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Alesis Alpha 112 vs Yamaha DXR10 Mk1
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »

I have a pair of I have a pair of Alesis Alpha 112 speakers. I purchased them new a few years ago, and they are an acceptable speaker for a good price (or they were at the time). The concern has always been that they produce an audible (to me at least) hiss with no signal input and all attenuations at lowest levels. I know this is the by-product of class D amps, but it find it distracting to the point of annoyance. OTOH my lovely wife cannot hear the hiss at all, even when all external noise sources are well muted, etc.

I can purchase the lightly used 2015 set of Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1's for $800 Canadian (that's $10 in US dollars - kidding that's about $600 US dollars) and I expect I can sell my immaculate Alesis Alpha 112's for maybe $400 Canadian, but I could keep the Alesis Alpha 112's for backup or monitor duty (if I ever do a band thing).  Alpha 112 speakers. I purchased them new a few years ago, and they are an acceptable speaker for a good price (or they were at the time). The concern has always been that they produce an audible (to me at least) hiss with no signal input and all attenuations at lowest levels. I know this is the by-product of class D amps, but it find it distracting to the point of annoyance. OTOH my lovely wife cannot hear the hiss at all, even when all external noise sources are well muted, etc.

I can purchase the lightly used 2015 set of Yamaha DXR10 Mark 1's for $800 Canadian (that's $10 in US dollars - kidding that's about $600 US dollars) and I expect I can sell my immaculate Alesis Alpha 112's for maybe $400 Canadian, but I could keep the Alesis Alpha 112's for backup or monitor duty (if I ever do a band thing).

Follow the forum rules and change your display name to your real name or the thread will be locked.  Did you see this requirement when you signed up?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard Wilson Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »

Hello Scott,
I would like to make a few points if I may:

1.  I have been a member of prosoundweb.com for many years, in fact from well before that requirement was in place, but I have not posted for some years, and was not aware of this new requirement, and for that you have me sincere apologies for my ignorance of the new to me rules.
2.  Although I have no concerns with this new to me requirement, I must assume that due to lack of use, my old login was no longer valid, and as such I had to login anew.
3.  You tone towards me had an overt curtness.  This was certainly not apropos to the circumstances, nor for that matter as a suitable response in kind.  As such, I consider that an apology on your behalf is in order.
4.  If you truly consider that you have not been overtly curt in your response to me, I will let the moderators make that assessment, and I will then have no further interest our liaison.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »

Hello Scott,
I would like to make a few points if I may:

1.  I have been a member of prosoundweb.com for many years, in fact from well before that requirement was in place, but I have not posted for some years, and was not aware of this new requirement, and for that you have me sincere apologies for my ignorance of the new to me rules.
2.  Although I have no concerns with this new to me requirement, I must assume that due to lack of use, my old login was no longer valid, and as such I had to login anew.
3.  You tone towards me had an overt curtness.  This was certainly not apropos to the circumstances, nor for that matter as a suitable response in kind.  As such, I consider that an apology on your behalf is in order.
4.  If you truly consider that you have not been overtly curt in your response to me, I will let the moderators make that assessment, and I will then have no further interest our liaison.

As Prosoundweb the requirement for real first and last names to post on the LAB forum and sub forums has existed since the beginning.  If you'd like to go back to www.live-audio.com days, when it was a Perl script from Matt's Script Archive running on a box sitting in Dave Steven's apartment (and later on his desk at Carlson) I'm pretty sure he went to "real names" about that time.  I've been here since the list-serve days...

Perhaps you might consider that in your haste, you overlooked the requirement for real name use to post here as it's only displayed to you 3 times in the signup process and on every forum index page.

The way to fix this RFN is to go to your profile and change the "display name" field to your first and last names otherwise expect your topic to be locked by the mods.  How this goes is largely up to you.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Wilson Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »

Thank you for your kindness Tim!  That's very odd as I logged in for some time using "Chum" (and of course a password) and no one said a peep...at any time...ever. I'm sure if you were so inclined as to have such a backlog of threads, my point would be established.

As mentioned, I was not aware of this, and for that you have my sincere apologies for my ignorance of the new to me rules.

None the less, and also as mentioned, I still maintain my position that Scott's tone towards me had an overt curtness and as such was certainly not apropos to the circumstances, nor for that matter as a suitable response in kind, and I consider that an apology is in order.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:49:49 PM by Chum »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »

Thank you for your kindness Tim!  That's very odd as I logged in for some time using "Chum" (and of course a password) and no one said a peep...at any time...ever. I'm sure if you were so inclined as to have such a backlog of threads, my point would be established.

As mentioned, I was not aware of this, and for that you have my sincere apologies for my ignorance of the new to me rules.

None the less, and also as mentioned, I still maintain my position that Scott's tone towards me had an overt curtness and as such was certainly not apropos to the circumstances, nor for that matter as a suitable response in kind, and I consider that an apology is in order.

Real names are required to *post* in the Live Audio forums but other parts of PSW have other rules - for example the RecPit  recording forums - but to only read the Live Audio forums there is no requirement for real names.

There is a current discussion of the DXR in the LAB Lounge although I've yet to read a comparison to the Alpha model.  As the DXR get more release time and market penetration perhaps there will be a direct comparison or you might find a forum user close to you with DXR and can visit to audition for yourself.  If that happens please post back with your observations.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »

I consider that an apology is in order.

hilarious.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »

I'll chime-in here, and won't comment on the perception of tone, etc., other than to say that I'm sure the regular contributors and moderators grow tired of having to remind people about the rule. It's posted *everywhere*, so it's like grating nails on a chalkboard to have to remind people.

Anywho... from what I know about the Alesis Alpha, they are essentially the Alto Truesonic 12s, but with (maybe) some improvements to the drivers. I did some reading about them, and the number one complaint seems to be the hiss you refer to.

I bought a pair of DXR10s for one of my guys just before I closed-up shop, and he loves them. He does a lot of trivia contests and small speaking events around the area and raves about them.

I got to use his DXR10s as small monitors for a really small indoor music festival last weekend, and they seemed to keep up and did a nice job with vocals. No noticeable hiss when they were in the monitor position with someone standing at a typical vocal position.

The Yamaha DXR/DSR range are pretty solid performers. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the DXR10. They'll need a little EQ as they lean toward the boomy side, but generally sound pretty nice.

The street price for a DXR10 is around $599USD but can be found for less if you shop around. Looks like the Alesis sell for as low as $179 during MF SDoTD events. Price isn't an indicator of performance, but my gut tells me the DXR is in a different class than the Alpha.

James Paul

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »

an apology on your behalf is in order.

Overtly unjustified

Move to Lounge

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:12:15 PM »

After Much Ado...

Search PSW for DXR10, and read.

-Dennis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:12:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.