ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing the JBL PRX 718XLF  (Read 5228 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Replacing the JBL PRX 718XLF
« on: June 16, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »

Over the years, I have occasionally used my JBL PRX718XLF... for smaller events and tight spaces.  It does bass very well... solid low-end bass.  However, it never really did well with "thump/punch" (think kick drum, floor tom, etc...).  I tried several mics on kick drums, and adjusted EQ in an attempt to get some punch out of the cabinet... no so such luck.

I let the sub go several weeks ago... I'm looking for a JBL replacement... single 18" powered sub that can produce the "thump & punch" (~60hz - 80hz).  My normal subs are JBL SRX728S and have no issues getting thump/punch out of those.  I guess I'm looking for that kind (or relatively close) performance, but in a single 18" powered box (for smaller events).  Is there such a thing?  Anyone using the RCF single 18" cabinets?  Read a comment (on this forum) about someone using the RCF 8004 cabinet... said it did very well compared to the 8003 cabinet... though, I've never heard the 8003.

Thomas Le

Re: Replacing the JBL PRX 718XLF
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »

There's the SRX818SP, personally I have not heard this one but the bigger brother SRX828SP and that one has got "kicks". What kind of tops are you using?

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »

The rcf 8004 and 9004 are both some potent single 18 inch subs. The tts18a ii is awesome and slightly more than the 9004. The 8004 is more economical price wise.  I have also heard great things on the 8003.

I would think an 8004 would crush a prx in terms of output and fidelity. It’s not exactly the same but owning srx828 and 9006 there isn’t much of a comparison. The 9006 is a huge step up. FWIW I ran two 9006 on the last two gigs where I would run four 828. Output was similar but the rcf is much more dynamic and clean sounding. Can’t wait to add more 9006.

To me the 8004 is worth the upgrade over what you currently have.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »

It's a single 18" at a mid-grade MI price point. There is only so much it's gonna do.

What's your actual budget and space limitation?

Over the years, I have occasionally used my JBL PRX718XLF... for smaller events and tight spaces.  It does bass very well... solid low-end bass.  However, it never really did well with "thump/punch" (think kick drum, floor tom, etc...).  I tried several mics on kick drums, and adjusted EQ in an attempt to get some punch out of the cabinet... no so such luck.

I let the sub go several weeks ago... I'm looking for a JBL replacement... single 18" powered sub that can produce the "thump & punch" (~60hz - 80hz).  My normal subs are JBL SRX728S and have no issues getting thump/punch out of those.  I guess I'm looking for that kind (or relatively close) performance, but in a single 18" powered box (for smaller events).  Is there such a thing?  Anyone using the RCF single 18" cabinets?  Read a comment (on this forum) about someone using the RCF 8004 cabinet... said it did very well compared to the 8003 cabinet... though, I've never heard the 8003.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 04:26:37 PM »

There's the SRX818SP, personally I have not heard this one but the bigger brother SRX828SP and that one has got "kicks". What kind of tops are you using?

When using a single 18" (for the smaller events), the tops could be either Yamaha DSR-15 or RCF NX45 - both have a 15" with a horn.

I'm looking for a single 18" (qty 1) due to potential space limitations of some events; as well, some events only need a single 18".  Budget is open at the moment, but would entertain something around the $1500 range... would consider something more.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »

When using a single 18" (for the smaller events), the tops could be either Yamaha DSR-15 or RCF NX45 - both have a 15" with a horn.

I'm looking for a single 18" (qty 1) due to potential space limitations of some events; as well, some events only need a single 18".  Budget is open at the moment, but would entertain something around the $1500 range... would consider something more.
That's just a little more than MAP on the current version of the sub you have now.  Anything at that price will be a lateral move.

You either have to go to the used market or go up in price.

The JTR stuff (including the dual 12" which I have not heard but trust the reviews) would be a big step up.  The Orbit shifter is a single 18" as is the Captivator, both fit your price.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing how the Yamaha DXS15XLF might compare to the PRX718XLF. The specs indicate relatively deep response for a 15" sub and output similar to the PRX718XLF spec. Maybe the 15" cone would sound a little punchier.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 08:00:06 PM »

I own a pair of SRX818's and I owned the PRX518's before. What I can say is that the 818's are not messing around, but they will not put out too much more than the ones you just let go. Which leads me to say that Scott is correct in saying that you will either need to up the budget or look at a used product.

The RCF 8 and 9 series stuff is yet another small step up, but it still won't get you from not at all, to more than enough. The price range you're looking at sets you squarely within SRX818's and perhaps an RCF 8004 that I would suggest asking Mr. Mike Pyle what he can do for you. Otherwise, the RCF 8003 is going to have to suffice. The JTR Captivator 212 pro in an active option is pretty close to that budget excluding shipping.

The big caveat is that all of the aforementioned speakers are setting at about the same peak SPL of 135db. So how close to that number each speaker truly produces is the big question. As we all know, even if they were all within 3db of each other in actual output, it wouldn't make much a difference and you could throw a dart at the wall and be happy in terms of SPL. Which one sounds the best? Heck, I don't know? The JBL SRX sounds pretty darn good, I'm sure the RCF sounds really good if not better ( at more cost ) and teh JTR perhaps even better yet, but each is a little more than the next.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »

Thanks for all the responses.  Good suggestions.

The SPL ratings have all been within range of each of the cabinets.  SPL is important, but quality (sound and build) are very important.  And hope that a cabinet can do a much better job with "thump & punch" than the XLF.

Yes, the used market is on my radar. 

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »

My experience with the PRX700 series is that one PRX712 top balances well with two PRX718xlf subs for typical cover band pop/rock (not heavy rock/metal) in up to medium size clubs.

I'd imagine the Yamaha or RCF top is going to vastly outrun any single 18" sub unless you move to the offerings in the next price bracket such as the RCF or the Bassboss SSP118.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.