ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which wireless system for Sports arena?  (Read 3915 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Which wireless system for Sports arena?
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:12:30 AM »

My school district has a sports arena (basketball plus other uses) that currently has six EV RE-2 wireless mics in banned 600MHz frequencies. Must recommend replacement systems. They want four (not six) replacements, and will need antenna/power distro also. These go in a portable rack with mixer that sits courtside, feeds into wall jack that feeds back to installed amp rack.

No set budget yet, but can't get the expensive stuff. Nor do I want the cheapest (no BLX or Samson please). Currently debating between Shure SLX and Shure GLX-D. I don't have equipment to do a proper freq scan. I'm a tad leery of GLX-D working in 2.5GHz range. SLX is kinda basic, but is easy to use and has been reliable in nearby football field. Haven't yet studied equivalents from EV, Senn, AudioTechnica etc. Thought I'd ask the hive mind here first for recommendations.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Which wireless system for Sports arena?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:47:19 AM »

I know you want to avoid the more expensive options, but considering the requirements (4 channels, power and antenna distro) I would still at least price out a ULXD-Q system. The base system is certainly more expensive, but includes the power and antenna distro. It can also scan for its own coordinated set of four frequencies.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:10:20 AM »

I know you want to avoid the more expensive options, but considering the requirements (4 channels, power and antenna distro) I would still at least price out a ULXD-Q system. The base system is certainly more expensive, but includes the power and antenna distro. It can also scan for its own coordinated set of four frequencies.

This.^  It's so much better, in so many ways, than all other options for your application.  Its relative simplicity in deployment and operation, reliability, and durability, all make it well worth its price.

ULXD4Q https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd4q
ULXD2/SM58 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd2_sm58

Be advised that every other system currently available in similar 1U 4ch form factor at lower price is complete junk.

Since it's for an educational institution, this is a golden opportunity to teach how to operate real professional-level multichannel RF equipment (albeit entry-level), and why choosing wireless based on price alone is unwise. IMHO, this instruction should be presented to students and administrators.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:16:10 AM by Jason Glass »

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »

This.^  It's so much better, in so many ways, than all other options for your application.  Its relative simplicity in deployment and operation, reliability, and durability, all make it well worth its price.

ULXD4Q https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd4q
ULXD2/SM58 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd2_sm58

Be advised that every other system currently available in similar 1U 4ch form factor at lower price is complete junk.

Since it's for an educational institution, this is a golden opportunity to teach how to operate real professional-level multichannel RF equipment (albeit entry-level), and why choosing wireless based on price alone is unwise. IMHO, this instruction should be presented to students and administrators.

I will certainly investigate the ULXD series.
1RU form factor is not a requirement. It is replacing 3RU worth of EV in the rack (plus 2RU of distro).
This system is not going to be run by tech students, but rather by athletic staff. Simplicity of operation is important.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »

1RU form factor is not a requirement. It is replacing 3RU worth of EV in the rack (plus 2RU of distro).
This system is not going to be run by tech students, but rather by athletic staff. Simplicity of operation is important.

JTS wireless is a fantastic value.  Takes standard Shure and Sennheiser capsules, wide tuning range.  Very high quality and priced below Mi-Pro and much less than Shure or Sennheiser offerings.

Disclaimer - we are dealers for JTS

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »

Hi Joseph,

I really just intended my crack about equivalent physical form to be a general warning about all of the extremely tempting products out there that offer far too much for far too little $ to be trustworthy devices, both in critical applications and over the long haul of service life.  As snobbish as I am about the products that I choose to hang my reputation on, I still often struggle to turn away from cheapies that promise The Moon when I'm under budget pressure.  Even Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, A-T, and Beyerdynamic offer products that I won't ever recommend for RF work where failure is not an option.

Although 4ch in 1U isn't one of your specs, it does guarantee that antenna & power distribution are included, integrated, correctly implemented, and most importantly tamperproof and foolproof!  This is huge when you consider that one marginally functioning coax cable can render a rack of otherwise perfectly good RF gear useless.  And it's not easy for a non-RF-nerd to determine such failures.  Continuity is not enough.  It requires a VNA or IA test, and those are not tools you'll find in a typical school staff's box or in their realm of experience.  For that matter, they're not found on most multimillion $ entertainment tours or even in the audio shops that supply them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:03:22 PM by Jason Glass »

Robert Healey

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 12:56:30 PM »

IMO, many installations don't need the Dante integration, high density/high power modes, or the form factor of ULX-D, so QLX-D is a better buy as it's significantly cheaper and both have similar (identical?) audio performance.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »

If you're looking at the ULXD stuff, a used 4 channel Lectrosonics Venue2 system will come out real close in price.

Ticks all the boxes and has better sound quality and higher TX power than ULXD. Also has the capability to add two more RX modules down the road to make a 6-channel system, if needed.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »

If you're looking at the ULXD stuff, a used 4 channel Lectrosonics Venue2 system will come out real close in price.

Ticks all the boxes and has better sound quality and higher TX power than ULXD. Also has the capability to add two more RX modules down the road to make a 6-channel system, if needed.

Most schools can't buy used gear; some can't buy B stock even with a full warranty... go figure.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »

Probably something to do with potential of receiving stolen gear and such.

Most schools can't buy used gear; some can't buy B stock even with a full warranty... go figure.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.