ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante clock slipping?  (Read 4970 times)

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: Dante clock slipping?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »

PTP (clock) is multicast.

The fact your system falls over when multicasting suggests you should enable IGMP snooping.

This is Audinate’s standard recommendation (and general multicast networking rec).  When you don’t do IGMP, you flood all devices with traffic.
I did not know this, and am completely unfamiliar with IGMP snooping as it relates to dante and switch settings. Is it a simple process of ticking a check box to "allow" or is the setup more involved? We have a rental operation and the surfaces sometimes go out without rio boxes (some clients have their own rios), so if the settings are device specific, I'll have to figure out how to most efficiently set it up so that it works with any and all devices that may be on the network.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:43:25 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »

100mb interfaces can become saturated in a Dante network if there is multicast traffic and no IGMP snooping. This is probably why you saw the problem worsen when you tried multicasting everything.

In your situation my guess is either the PLMs are being saturated or the multicast clock data is not getting through to them. Best to wait for the controller screenshots / log.

In the meantime are you running anything AES67 or do you have internet connection sharing on the machine running DVS?
I did not realize that there was a newer version of DVS than the one I was using. I updated that and eliminated all of the unnecessary multicasting and it is working fine now. FWIW, the frequency offset for the PLMs was bouncing around all over the place, from ~+175 to ~-150 or so. Everything else on the network was pretty steady, occasionally fluctuating a point or two. Once I removed the multicasting and updated DVS, the PLMs are holding at a steady ~26ppm offset.
Thanks for the tip on snooping, it's something I hadn't looked into. In the future if I need to set up multicasting I will employ IGMP snooping.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.