Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Meyer tweeter array

<< < (4/4)

Dennis Wiggins:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on June 15, 2019, 09:51:49 AM ---Peavey had the same sort of "array" in the project series.

That would have been in the early to mid 80s I remember.

--- End quote ---

I experienced a demo of this in the early-mid 80's, sponsored by Guzzardo Music at a local hotel in Rockford, IL. The "impact" demo last only a few seconds. The midbass/lower midrange (100-600hz) was astounding; the rest was just very loud. I was literally breathless, in a good way.

It did have the piezo tweeter "array" on the top. I think it was called the Project 4.

p.s.>  At the time, I was running what was later called the Project 1 (Mf1-x over Mb2 over Mf1) with 2 CS400s and plug-in crossover cans. My favorite component was the MB-2 as it did what no trap could do.

-Dennis

Dennis Wiggins:
I believe the "array" had 5 of these stacked, for a total of 10 p-drivers.

-D

Paul Miller:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on June 15, 2019, 09:51:49 AM ---Peavey had the same sort of "array" in the project series.

That would have been in the early to mid 80s I remember.

--- End quote ---

Here's a Reddit post showing several vintage Peavey cabinets including that piezo array.

Rory Buszka:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on June 14, 2019, 01:31:03 PM ---Duane,

Sounds more like the Klipsch MTM tweeter array than anything Meyers, though I do remember piezos used in MSL-3 for a short period.

--- End quote ---

Purdue's Hall of Music had a portable system of MSL-3s (used for outdoor festival stages and at one time supported on the low end by 650R2s, then later by VT4880s) and I saw/heard the piezos. They were never very good sounding, mainly because of a horrible resonant peak at 6kHz that is the resonance of the PZT disc.

An example (not the Purdue system):

Brian Bolly:

--- Quote from: duane massey on June 12, 2019, 01:04:02 PM ---Does anyone here remember the old Meyer tweeter array?

--- End quote ---
The piezo array disappeared when the MSL-3 turned into the MSL-3A. The (IIRC) XM3 filter was disconnected and the MS2001A driver was fitted in place of the original MS2001N to make it an MSL-3A. As well, on the M3T processor, the TC circuit was supposed to be switched off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version